05222019 BUSINESS

Page 1

business@tribunemedia.net

WEDNESDAY, MAY 22, 2019

$4.90

Stop the WTO ‘scare tactics’ By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net

W

TO opponents must stop using “inaccurate scare tactics” to intimidate The Bahamas from joining world trade’s rules setter, a prominent local attorney charged yesterday. Carey Leonard, the former Grand Bahama Port Authority (GBPA) inhouse counsel, told Tribune Business there was plentiful evidence from elsewhere in the Caribbean to prove that small businesses and ‘Mom and Pop’ stores “will not be wiped out” upon this country becoming a World Trade Organisation (WTO). The now-Callenders & Co attorney, pointing out that FOCOL Holdings’ acquisition of Shell’s local

$4.91

$4.95

Growth undershoot leaves ‘no room’ for further taxes CAREY LEONARD

• Ex-Port attorney: ‘Small man won’t be wiped out’ • Key reforms ignored without pressure of joining • Tells private sector: Stop being so frightened

assets demonstrated how Bahamian companies can buy-out multinational interests, said the recentlyreleased Oxford Economics report had reinforced his belief that the Government was right to finally complete this nation’s 18-year accession bid. He argued that “part of the struggle” was the private sector’s failure to hire advisers “who know what’s going on with the WTO” until the Bahamas Chamber of Commerce and Employers Confederation (BCCEC) commissioned that study. Bahamian businesses, Mr Leonard said, “might not be so frightened” of WTO and

its potential implications if they had engaged consultants to guide them through the process and explain what trade-related jargon meant. Warning that it was the private sector’s responsibility to provide the necessary “ammunition” to the Government’s WTO negotiating team, so that The Bahamas could obtain the best accession terms possible, the Callenders & Co attorney added that “moaning” and wishing to retain the economic status quo “doesn’t cut it”. He reiterated that The Bahamas would fail to enact the necessary governance, structural and ease

$4.95

of doing business reforms to improve this nation’s economic competitiveness without the pressure of WTO forcing it into change. “From what I’ve read so far,” Mr Leonard said of the report, “it seems to me we should be doing it because we as a country are not going to enact the necessary changes the Oxford Economics people talk about unless forced to do so by the WTO, quite frankly. “It will drive a lot of this; it won’t do it all, but it will force us into a position where we can finish the job. It’s quite clear that if we do it properly it can help us so

SEE PAGE 4

By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net

THE Bahamian economy’s 2018 GDP growth underperformance shows there is “no room” for new or increased taxes in next weeks’ budget, a former finance minister said yesterday. James Smith, who held the post from 2002-2007, told Tribune Business that a repeat of the 2018-2019 budget’s VAT hike and other tax increases would only throw the Bahamian economy further back - and halt its potential recovery - by depressing consumer demand even more. Suggesting that a budget which held steady, and kept the government’s threeyear fiscal consolidation plan on course without any new revenue measures or spending cuts, was likely the best option, Mr Smith said “it might be wise” for the Minnis administration

to take stock and assess which initiatives were working. The former Central Bank governor again voiced concerns that KP Turnquest, deputy prime minister and minister of finance, was too “obsessed” with meeting deficit reduction and other fiscal goals at the expense of using the budget to layout a road map for dealing with some of The Bahamas’ economic and social ills. Calling for the government to focus on reducing the near-25 percent unemployment rate among Bahamians aged between 15 to 24 years-old, Mr Smith said “debt-to-GDP ratios mean very little to an unemployed person and even less to a student coming out of high school”. He predicted that the Minnis administration was likely to focus on “tightening loopholes in the tax code” and “more

SEE PAGE 5

‘Think positively’: New, increased taxes are ‘economic suicide’ On Nassau Flight privatisation bid By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net

By NATARIO MCKENZIE

Tribune Business Reporter

nmckenzie@tribunemedia.net A CABINET minister yesterday brushed aside fears that Nassau Flight Services (NFS) privatisation could spark lay-offs, saying the stateowned entity needs “investment and modernisation”. Speaking with reporters ahead of a Cabinet meeting yesterday, Dionisio D’Aguilar, pictured, minister of tourism and aviation, said the government’s efforts to privatise NFS should be “no surprise”. “I have been talking about this in Parliament since we took office,” he added. “The government has always made it a policy that we feel that there are a number of government entities that are better run by the private sector. “Nassau Flight Services is small enough and can be easily absorbed or managed by a mid-level, mid-sized Bahamian company. It is our intention to empower and bring about entrepreneurship in some of our government entities, and we feel that Nassau Flight Services is right for this. The FNM had attempted this in the previous administration, and now we are

revisiting it. We put it out to an RFP.” Mr D’Aguilar continued: “We will see which companies are interested, and what proposals they will make. Government is always cash-strapped and so the company is in need of investment and modernisation. “We feel this is certainly an avenue worth exploring. When all the proposals have been received they will be carefully evaluated by an evaluation committee and a suggestion will be made to Cabinet. The final decisions will rest with Cabinet.” When asked whether staff lay-offs may result, Mr D’Aguilar said: “Everyone gets fearful that there is going to be downsizing and people will get laid off. That might be a result, but let’s think positively. This is an opportunity for a Bahamian company to come in. Let’s look at the positive side of it.” The Ministry of Tourism, in a recent statement, revealed that the government will consider a franchise (operating) agreement for Nassau Flight Services as well as its outright sale. Mr D’Aguilar previously told this newspaper that foreigners need not bid to take-over the stateowned ground handler.

THE government will “commit economic suicide” if it introduces new or increased taxes with next week’s budget, a governance reformer warning yesterday: “Everybody’s been taxed to death.” Robert Myers, the Organisation for Responsible Governance’s (ORG) principal, told Tribune Business that the Minnis administration has “no more headroom” when it comes to major taxation and revenue-raising initiatives given that last year’s VAT hike to 12 percent has already slowed the Bahamian economy.

• Governance reformer: ‘We’ve been taxed to death’ • ‘Wary’, but hoping for ‘fairly benign’ 19-20 budget • Calls for property tax on large Out Island holdings

ROBERT MYERS However, he backed the strategy - as indicated by KP Turnquest, deputy prime minister - of targeting untapped revenue sources already on the

government’s books which have largely been neglected by past administrations. Besides yacht charter fees and Airbnb-style vacation rentals, Mr Myers urged the government to go further by levying real property taxes on “large blocs of land” owned by Bahamians in the Family Islands. Bahamian-owned property outside New Providence is currently not subject to this levy, and he argued that in the absence of such carrying costs wealthy locals had been “disincentivised”

from undertaking activities to boost GFP growth and were instead merely “land banking”. Describing himself as “wary” over the upcoming budget given the number, and size, of tax increases and changes in prior years, Mr Myers also urged Bahamians to “stop talking” about income-type taxes and other structural reforms until research on their likely impact was completed.

SEE PAGE 4

Road expansions ‘a huge difference’ for commerce By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net

THE road expansion package unveiled by the prime minister will “make a huge difference” to commerce and Bahamians’ “mental well-being”, a Cabinet minister said yesterday. Desmond Bannister, minister of works, told Tribune Business that when combined these projects represented the most “ambitious” road infrastructure work seen on New Providence for some years. He voiced optimism, though, that the Ministry of Works now has sufficient technical staff with the right skills to “make it happen” and ease the traffic

• Minister: Will aid ‘mental well-being’ • Among most ‘ambitious’ works packages • Nassau ‘not horse and buggy town’ congestion nightmare many Bahamian motorists face when commuting to work and school from southern New Providence on week day mornings. While declining to reveal the total capital investment required, on the basis that the figures have yet to be approved by the Ministry of Finance, Mr Bannister said the government would need to acquire land from private owners “in a number of areas” to facilitate the various road expansions. DESMOND BANNISTER

SEE PAGE 5


Turn static files into dynamic content formats.

Create a flipbook
Issuu converts static files into: digital portfolios, online yearbooks, online catalogs, digital photo albums and more. Sign up and create your flipbook.