11202019 NEWS

Page 1

WEDNESDAY i’m lovin’ it!

HIGH 79ºF LOW 69ºF

The Tribune Established 1903

24/7 BREAKING NEWS ON TRIBUNE242.COM

Biggest And Best!

VOLUME:116 No.228, NOVEMBER 20TH, 2019

THE PEOPLE’S PAPER: $1

ALICIA WALLACE: TAKING TIME TO SEE WHAT WORKED

Why computers deal had to work Just $6m paid from 125,000 patients using our hospitals

By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net

TENS of millions of dollars have slipped through the fingers of the Public Health Authority after the failure of the contract to digitise patient information in The Bahamas. In comparison with our Caribbean neighbours, we have been collecting a fraction of the costs we incur for treating local and foreign patients. The full scale of the damage to our health services is revealed in documents The Tribune has seen which show less than $6m was charged to around

125,000 patients in one year. This is why the patient records system which the former PLP government signed up to was so needed - so that bills to patients could have been sent out and the costs recovered. This would have narrowed the $88m gap that exists between the $5.678m in revenues collected by Princess Margaret Hospital for treating patients and its annual $93.747m operating expenses, As The Tribune has revealed, the deal the PLP oversaw has delivered nothing.

A SENIOR official yesterday said the government “could sign tomorrow” with multiple offers as it seeks to raise $100m for the overhaul of four Family Island airports. Algernon Cargill, director of aviation, said proposals were “already on the table” from both local and international investors prior to the government

FULL STORY - SEE BUSINESS

TRANSPORT Minister Renward Wells says officials are looking to boost security at Potter’s Cay after a woman was assaulted there. Last week a woman was beaten, sexually assaulted and thrown into water at the dock by two men around 1am on November 11, police said. Her attackers left the area and the woman was rescued by a passing vessel hours later, shortly after 6am. Police subsequently arrested a 41-year-old man and were said to be searching for a second suspect. The status of their investigation into the matter is unclear. Mr Wells told reporters yesterday: “There is security out at Potter’s Cay. We’re looking at how we can increase that to 24-hour security because that is the

‘ALRAE HAD SUFFERED HEAD INJURY’ By SYANN THOMPSON Tribune Staff Reporter sthompson@tribunemedia.net

FULL STORY - SEE BUSINESS

approaching the capital markets. He added that the “strong” interest shown in teaming with the government to redevelop these airports represented a show of confidence in Bahamian tourism post-Dorian. The airports involved are Exuma’s (Georgetown), North Eleuthera, Deadman’s Cay in Long Island, and the refurbishment of Abaco’s Leonard Thompson International Airport.

By RASHAD ROLLE Tribune Staff Reporter rrolle@tribunemedia.net

SEE PAGE TWO

INVESTORS LINING UP FOR AIRPORT PROJECTS By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net

POTTER’S CAY SECURITY TO RISE AFTER SEX ATTACK

CASE CLOSED THE Crown closed its case against former Cabinet minister Shane Gibson yesterday. Full story - Page 3 Photo: Terrel W Carey Sr/Tribune Staff

NYGARD TRIES TO DODGE JAIL TERM By SYANN THOMPSON Tribune Staff Reporter sthompson@tribunemedia.net LAWYERS for Canadian tycoon Peter Nygard filed an urgent application on Monday to appeal Justice Ruth Bowe-Darville’s decision last Friday to jail the fashion designer for 90 days and fine him. The Tribune secured a copy of the appeal application to set aside the decision made by Justice Bowe-Darville,

APPEAL: Peter Nygard which asserts that the sentencing and other requirements were “excessive”.

Canadian lawyer for Mr Nygard, Jay Prober echoed similar sentiments. In reacting to the decision made at the Supreme Court, he criticised Justice Bowe-Darville’s judgment and told The National Post that the degree of punishment was uncalled for. “The decision is unfair, it is unreasonable and it’s unnecessary, and quite frankly it’s unheard of. I have never seen in civil

Nassau & Bahama Islands’ Leading Newspaper

SEE PAGE THREE

THE father of one of two men who died mysteriously in an Italian river claims one of the men had a blow to the head. Randolph John, father of Blair John, said his family plans to hire a lawyer to assist them with uncovering the mystery surrounding his son’s and Alrae Ramsey’s deaths. “Alrae had a blow to his head, Italian police still can’t give us answers on how that happened,” Mr John told this newspaper yesterday. “All we want is answers of what really happen to our boys. When SEE PAGE SEVEN

TECHNOLOGY

WILL STADIA NOW ATTRACT THE GAMERS? SEE PAGE NINE


Turn static files into dynamic content formats.

Create a flipbook
Issuu converts static files into: digital portfolios, online yearbooks, online catalogs, digital photo albums and more. Sign up and create your flipbook.