FRIDAY i’m lovin’ it!
HIGH 84ºF LOW 73ºF
The Tribune Established 1903
Volume:116 No.225, NOVEMBER 15TH, 2019
Weekend
WEEKEND: SOCIETY LADIES ALL IN A FLAP FOR A CAUSE
THE PEOPLE’S PAPER: $1 FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 15TH, art books film fashion music 2019 society gardening history puzzles
Weekend
By SYANN THOMPSON Tribune Staff Reporter sthompson@tribunemedia.net
THE father of one of two Bahamian men who died under mysterious circumstances while on a trip to Italy said relatives still have unanswered questions, claiming the credit card of one victim was still in use after his death. Randolph John, father of Blair John, told The Tribune he still wants justice for his son and Alrae Ramsey. He has long maintained his disbelief that his son and Mr Ramsey, a foreign service officer, did not just drown in Italy, but that they were murdered. He said the family heard someone had been questioned over the credit card use, but then nothing else materialised. The bodies of Mr Ramsey,
29, and Mr John, 28, were found in the Po River in Turin, Italy on June 4 and 5 respectively. Italian officials cited accidental drowning as the cause of death. Mr John says he refuses to believe that his 6’4” son, a strong swimmer, and Mr Ramsey, who both attended St Augustine’s College, died due to an accidental drowning. “The information put out in the public against my son and Alrae, saying they probably fell into the river and you know some of the foolishness; and other nonsense saying Alrae went to take a leak in the river because when they retrieved the body his zip was down, so he probably fell in the river and Blair went in to rescue him and drowned. I mean it’s so
THE lead investigator in former Cabinet minister Shane Gibson’s bribery case yesterday admitted she was wrong to have jointly interviewed a local businessman and a woman to “synchronise” their claims against the former parliamentarian. Assistant Superintendent Debra Thompson said in hindsight, she acted improperly in arranging to
SEE PAGE FIVE
DPP AFRICAN LAWYERS CAN’T WORK IN COURTS By RASHAD ROLLE Tribune Staff Reporter rrolle@tribunemedia.net
TWO Africans hired to top positions at the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions have been denied admission to the Bahamian Bar, preventing them from arguing cases in court. Bar Association President Khalil Parker said the Bar Council was not satisfied they met legal requirements for admission to the Bar. For six months, Nigerian Nikiruka Jones-Nebo and Ugandan David Bakibinga have respectively served as deputy director of public prosecutions and assistant director of public prosecutions but they have not represented the government in court like expected of the roles.
$30M SMART METERS WILL HELP MONITOR BPL’S BILLS
SEE PAGE THREE
meet with both Jonathan Ash and Deborah Bastian to “clear up the ambiguities” in their respective statements against the former labour minister. The officer also admitted that during the meeting, Mr Ash’s and Ms Bastian’s statements were both altered to accommodate the other, and that whatever parts weren’t in sync were “cut out” and discarded altogether.
pages 14, 15 & 27
SEE PAGE THREE
By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net
GIBSON DETECTIVE WE MADE MISTAKES By NICO SCAVELLA Tribune Staff Reporter nscavella@tribunemedia.net
Page 11
A roaring good time
BHS celebrates 95 years
Credit card used after Italy deaths
SOCA STARS IN CONCERT
CATCHING THE EYE MISS World 2018, Vanessa Ponce de Leon from Mexico, dropped in on some school children on a visit to The Bahamas yesterday. Picture Special - Page 2 Photo: Terrel W Carey Sr/Tribune Staff
BAHAMAS Power & Light will invest $30m in rolling-out Advanced Metering Infrastructure (AMI) it sees as critical to slashing delinquent private sector debts, its chairman revealed yesterday. Dr Donovan Moxey said that the funding has already been budgeted, and contractor selected, for an initiative that will “put the power to manage” energy consumption in the hands of BPL’s consumers. The AMI initiative will introduce the concept of pre-paid metering to the Bahamian electricity industry for the first time. FULL STORY - SEE BUSINESS
NYGARD - ‘JAIL HIM FOR NINE MONTHS’ By RASHAD ROLLE Tribune Staff Reporter rrolle@tribunemedia.net
A SAVE the Bays lawyer argued yesterday that Canadian fashion mogul Peter Nygard should spend nine months in prison for his latest contempt of court conviction. Justice Ruth Bowe Darville is expected to rule on that today. Mr Nygard was found in contempt of court last month for breaching an
PETER NYGARD injunction preventing him from publishing emails that were stolen from the
environmental group. Although Justice Bowe Darville ordered he be present for yesterday’s mitigation and sentencing hearing, the wealthy Lyford Cay resident did not appear. A lawyer for the fashion mogul sought an adjournment, arguing they had insufficient time to prepare for litigation and that Mr Nygard was too ill to attend the hearing. SEE PAGE THREE
Nassau & Bahama Islands’ Leading Newspaper
A COMIC’S VIEW TIME FOR THIS MODERN-DAY VAMPIRE TO GO
SEE PAGE EIGHT