business@tribunemedia.net
FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 15TH, 2019
$4.52
$4.60
$4.57
BPL investing $30m to combat bad debts By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net
B
AHAMAS Power & Light (BPL) will invest $30m in rolling-out Advanced Metering Infrastructure (AMI) that it sees as critical to slashing delinquent private sector debts, its chairman revealed yesterday. Dr Donovan Moxey told Tribune Business that the funding has already been budgeted, and contractor selected, for an initiative that will “put the power to manage� energy consumption in the hands of BPL’s household
• Vendor selected for Advanced Metering roll-out • Says: See bond costs as ‘investment in future • Chair: ‘We’re creating a brand new company’
DR DONOVAN MOXEY
and business consumers. The AMI initiative, which was on the drawing board under the previous Darnell Osborne-led Board, will introduce the concept of pre-paid metering to the Bahamian electricity industry for the first time. Much like pre-paid cell phones, consumers will be able to “top-up� their new meters as they go, with the technology-based platform also providing apps and mobile links.
Bahamians will thus be able to control their energy consumption as opposed to the present system where many Bahamians and households run-up huge bills they are unable to afford, but only become aware of this after the fact - much like a post-paid mobile phone customer. BPL’s hope is that, besides preventing consumers from falling into a financial hole
SEE PAGE 4
Bahamas is ‘so far behind curve’ on renewable goal By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net THE Bahamas faces a “tall order� to meet the National Energy Policy’s 30 percent renewable energy penetration by 2030 goal because it is “so far behind the curve�, a local provider warned yesterday. Guilden Gilbert, vicepresident of Alternative Power Solutions (APS) Bahamas, told Tribune Business that this nation was likely at two percent with just a decade to go as he backed an Inter-American Development Bank (IDB) paper detailing the “governance and regulatory� obstacles to increased renewable take-up. The paper, which has been obtained by Tribune Business, indicates that the government’s interest in renewables has revived as
• Provider: Hitting 30% by 2030 ‘a tall order’ • IDB: 90% of Abaco ‘destroyed or damaged’ • Regulators ‘frustrating’ solar to help BPL a means to rebuild Abaco’s energy sector after Hurricane Dorian “damaged or destroyedâ€? 90 percent of that island’s housing and infrastructure. Dr Hubert Minnis, speaking to ambassadors from the Africa, Caribbean and Pacific (ACP) Group of States during this week’s visit to Brussels, said initial damage assessments by the IDB and United Nations’ Economic Commission for Latin America and the Caribbean (ECLAC) put the total damages inflicted by Dorian at $2.4bn. Economic losses have been estimated at $700m, with an “additional costâ€? of $200m also thrown in,
and the Prime Minister confirmed that The Bahamas’ projected economic growth for 2019 had been cut in half to 1.1 percent. The IDB paper reveals that some $50,000 of a $750,000 in funding being made available to The Bahamas to assist with renewable energy and institutional reform will be directed towards the “immediate rehabilitation� of Abaco’s electricity infrastructure. Another component, though, is targeted at regulatory strengthening and reform, and Mr Gilbert backed the IDB’s assertion that continued flaws
and weaknesses in this area continue to hold back the renewable energy industry and wider private sector. “Market governance and regulatory-related challenges continue to be among the hindrances to the implementation of several energy projects, especially with respect to renewable energy and private sector participation,� the IDB said. “The Bahamas ranks lowest in the region for renewable energy penetration in its generation mix despite of possessing ample renewable energy resources. Accelerating the transition
SEE PAGE 4
$4.60
Follow CIBC lead on BOB, ex-FNM chair tells govt By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net A PROMINENT Bank of The Bahamas shareholder yesterday urged the government to follow CIBC’s lead and “be more aggressive� in seeking to exit its 82.6 percent majority ownership of the lender. Darron Cash, the former Free National Movement (FNM) chairman and senator, told Tribune Business that the government needed to “stop looking in the rear view mirror� and instead seek to facilitate the “progressive, smart and capable Bahamians interested� in entering commercial bank ownership. Declining to identify who he was referring to, Mr Cash added that the government “should not be naive� and believe it can recover the $300m-plus of taxpayer monies pumped in to rescue Bank of The Bahamas through two bail-outs and a subsequent rights issue. Applauding suggestions by K Peter Turnquest, the deputy prime minister, that the BISX-listed bank is seeking strategic partners, he argued that it was “only when the government becomes a minority shareholder� that investors and the Bahamian public will gain confidence the possibility of political interference has been removed from its decision-making. CIBC, the Canadian banking giant, has done just that by agreeing to see a two-thirds interest in its FirstCaribbean subsidiary to Colombia’s GNB Financial Group. It will become a minority partner with an ownership interest just below 25 percent, and Mr
DARRON CASH Cash said the deal provided an example for the government to follow with Bank of The Bahamas now that its financial position has “stabilised�. “In my view, the fact that CIBC FirstCaribbean has turned over a significant portion of its equity should be an indication to the Government of The Bahamas that it needs to be more aggressive in its efforts to find new, progressive owners for Bank of The Bahamas,� Mr Cash told Tribune Business. “The level of passion, concentration and focus that will come from an independent non-government owner you will not see from the Ministry of Finance, who will be less aggressive about exploring new means to generate new business or taking well-calculated risks. “That’s not their focus, and I daresay it is not going to be the focus of the Board of Directors who are going to be concerned as to what the Ministry of Finance may be thinking over the decisions they make. True autonomy means getting out of the business,� he continued. “The government will have a lot more information on the extent of interest
SEE PAGE 5
Union seeking ‘seat at table’ on CIBC deal By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net
UNION leaders have written to the government seeking a “seat at the table� over the approval of CIBC FirstCaribbean’s majority sale to a Colombian-headquartered financial group. Teresa Mortimer, the Bahamas Financial Services Union’s (BFSU) president, told Tribune Business it was seeking “a say in what happens� following confirmation that the Canadian bank is selling a two-thirds majority stake
in its Caribbean operation to GNB Financial Group, which is owned by the Gilinski family. She added that the BFSU, which represents 300 Bahamian staff at CIBC FirstCaribbean, and unions from other countries had also requested to meet GNB in a bid to discover its plans and how they might impact existing industrial agreements and “job security�. Ms Mortimer said union representatives had held a conference call with CIBC FirstCaribbean management
SEE PAGE 5
Long Island eyed by cruise ships By YOURI KEMP LONG Island is being eyed as “a preferred cruise ship destination� by two operators, its MP revealed yesterday, with vessels set to make four calls in 2020. Adrian Gibson, also executive chairman of the Water and Sewerage Corporation (WSC), told the Long Island Business Outlook conference that The Silver Wind plans to make three stops in Long Island next year while the Silver Shadow will make one call.
Mr Gibson said: “I am pleased to confirm that our island is being considered as a preferred destination by at least two cruise ship operators. “I am advised that over the course of the next two years, a commitment has been made to Long Island for the Silver Wind to come in January 2020, February 2020 and March 2020, and then in December 2020, the Silver Shadow, and in March 2021, the Club Med 2.
SEE PAGE 5
’ ‰ ‰
† ‡ ˆ ‰
† † ƒ
 �  �� �   € �
‚ ‚  ƒ „ ‚  � � …
� �   € �
‹�  “   ” • – –  �  € � �   € �
Š ‚ ‹Â?  ‰ ÂŒÂÂŽ „ ‚‚  Â? Â?  Â? Â?   € Â?
‘ ‹Â?  ‰ ÂŒÂÂŽ „  Â? Â?Â? Â? Â?   € Â?
INSURANCE MANAGEMENT
(BAHAMAS) LIMITED. INSURANCE BROKERS & AGENTS Since 1977 our clients have enjoyed a wide range of insurance products and services that protect their lives, loved ones, property, valuables and businesses.
Nobody Does it Better!
 �  � �