11142019 BUSINESS

Page 1

business@tribunemedia.net

THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 14TH, 2019

$4.52 Bahamas’ 6.4% bookings drop-off ‘pretty remarkable’ By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net A CABINET minister last night said it was “pretty bloody remarkable” that The Bahamas’ forward bookings for November to January 2020 were only off 6.4 percent given Hurricane Dorian’s impact. Dionisio D’Aguilar, minister of tourism and aviation, told Tribune Business he was “not concerned at all” about the year-overyear slippage given that it paled in comparison to the 17 percent stopover arrivals share previously enjoyed by storm-ravaged Abaco and Grand Bahama. He voiced optimism that the tourism industry’s forward booking pace would come in line with prior year comparatives “by the first quarter of 2020”, with forecasts indicating that the extent of the decline was reducing every month. Based on data from Forward Keys, the Ministry of Tourism partner that analyses forward booking data from The Bahamas’ key visitor source markets in The Bahamas and the US, Mr D’Aguilar said the drop-off had fallen from 12.2 percent in September 2019 to 10 percent in both October and November. The pace of decline is projected to slacken further to four to five percent for December, the Christmas month, with the New Year expected to bring forward bookings back close in line with early 2019 comparatives. Mr D’Aguilar argued that the trend showed potential visitors were

DESMOND BANNISTER

DIONISIO D’AGUILAR “shrugging off” negative Dorian-related news and planning to travel to islands unaffected by the storm, “although not at the scale we can overcome the shortfall created by Abaco and Grand Bahama’s tourism sectors being taken off-line. “We must always remember that 17 percent of our foreign visitors went to Abaco and Grand Bahama,” he told Tribune Business. “If they were to melt away by themselves our arrivals would be down by 17 percent. “The fact that we’ve managed to claw back those visitors to only be down by 6.4 percent on forward bookings is pretty bloody remarkable. What you’ll find is that November will be down by probably ten percent, and Christmas will be down by four to five percent, and January will be down by a decreasing percentage. We should see that the difference is getting smaller the further we move away from the storm.” Mr D’Aguilar spoke out after a study by FowardKeys revealed that The Bahamas was one of the few Caribbean jurisdictions,

SEE PAGE 4

DORIAN-related insurance losses are “heavily skewed” towards Abaco with one resort development potentially accounting for $800m to $1bn worth of claims by itself. Charles Johnson, a Bahamas Insurance Association (BIA) council member, told the annual Accountants’ week conference that 86 percent of the industry’s losses are in Abaco with the Baker’s Bay Golf & Ocean

Resort on Great Guana Cay potentially accounting for up to 50 percent of all damages. With the more sparselypopulated eastern Grand Bahama taking the brunt of Dorian, as opposed to Freeport and West End, he added that the island was set to account for just 12 percent of claims. Yet Mr Johnson warned that the financial recovery picture was even bleaker

SEE PAGE 8

BPL’s $66m bad debt major worry for bond proposal By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net THE $66m in delinquent debt owed to Bahamas Power & Light (BPL) by homeowners and businesses exposes the potential weakness in plans for the utility’s multi-million dollar refinancing. The extent of the private sector’s receivables was highlighted by Dr Donovan Moxey, BPL’s chairman, in his presentation to the Accountants’ Week seminar where he revealed that a collective $88.2m is

now past due. Some 74.9 percent, or three-quarters, of the latter sum is 90 days or more past due, making it equivalent to a bank’s non-performing loan and demonstrating just why BPL has to crack down on deadbeat bill payers if it is to generate sufficient income to meet repayments to investors who buy into the planned $650m National Utility Investment Bond. Dr Moxey did not respond to Tribune Business inquiries before press time last night,

SEE PAGE 7

S

$4.60

$4.60

Shell open to new power plant IPO

By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net

Baker’s Bay alone a $1bn Dorian loss By YOURI KEMP

$4.57

HELL North America last night confirmed it is willing to permit Bahamian ownership in part of its New Providence power plant project through what could be this nation’s largestever public share offering. A spokesperson for the global energy giant, responding to Tribune Business inquiries, confirmed that local investors may get the chance to invest via an initial public offering (IPO) in the company that will be formed to hold the liquefied natural gas (LNG) terminal and associated infrastructure supplying fuel to the proposed new plant at Clifton Pier. Desmond Bannister, minister of works, revealed to this newspaper that Shell executives have already been holding talks with Bahamas-based finance houses and major investor groups in a series of meetings understood to have continued this week. Tribune Business understands that these discussions, which are exploratory in nature, are designed to gauge investor appetite for an equity interest in the project’s LNG component

and how this would be structured. While the size of the minority stake that could be made available to Bahamian investors has not been finalised, several sources

- speaking on condition of anonymity - said it could be worth as much as $70m. That would make the offering - if it comes to fruition - the largest IPO in Bahamian history,

exceeding the $62.5m equity interest previously offered by Commonwealth Brewery. Sources said any IPO would be part of a larger

SEE PAGE 6


Turn static files into dynamic content formats.

Create a flipbook
Issuu converts static files into: digital portfolios, online yearbooks, online catalogs, digital photo albums and more. Sign up and create your flipbook.
11142019 BUSINESS by tribune242 - Issuu