WEDNESDAY i’m lovin’ it!
HIGH 83ºF LOW 73ºF
The Tribune Established 1903
24/7 BREAKING NEWS ON TRIBUNE242.COM
Biggest And Best!
VOLUME:116 No.223, NOVEMBER 13TH, 2019
THE PEOPLE’S PAPER: $1
ALICIA WALLACE: TEAMWORK ISN’T ALWAYS EASY
I never asked Ash for money. He wanted to give to PLP accepted any money from By NICO SCAVELLA Mr Ash, or from DeboTribune Staff Reporter nscavella@tribunemedia.net rah Bastian, his alleged intermediary, on the busiFORMER Cabinet nessman’s behalf. The minister Shane Gibson former parliamentarian denied soliciting thou- would only say “no comsands of dollars in bribes ment” when questioned from a local businessman on the issue. while under police interNonetheless, Gibson rogation, and instead said he “never” asked Mr asserted that their con- Ash for any money, versations were about the either directly or indialleged bribe payer want- rectly, much less for his ing to make campaign own benefit and not in donations. the discharge of his duties Gibson, when inter- as a public officer. viewed by police two “Listen to me,” years ago, said any con- Gibson said in the interversations about money view, “Jonathan Ash said he had with Jonathan he wanted to see the PLP Ash were sparked by win the next election. He the man’s desire to “see asked in terms of donatthe (Progressive Lib- ing to candidates in the eral Party) win the next south, and he asked me election,” and him conse- how much money I think quently offering to “give he should give various them donations”. candidates. A video of Gibson’s “He offered to give interrogation was played them donations. It ain’t in court yesterday. had nothing to do with Gibson declined to SEE PAGE THREE answer whether he ever
FORMER Cabinet minister Shane Gibson outside court yesterday Photo: Terrel W Carey Sr/Tribune Staff
TEACHERS SALARY WIN AND TOLD - NOW BACK TO WORK
DUTCH SHIP FIRM KEPT FEES SECRET
By SYANN THOMPSON Tribune Staff Reporter sthompson@tribunemedia.net
By RASHAD ROLLE Tribune Staff Reporter rrolle@tribunemedia.net
THE Bahamas Union of Teachers declared victory yesterday after Justice Bernard Turner ordered that teachers’ docked salaries be restored in full, after a battle with the government due its alleged failure to address working conditions at two public schools. Justice Turner’s ruling is related to the government docking the wages of teachers employed at both the Carlton Francis Primary and CH Reeves Junior High Schools. For weeks, teachers at CH Reeves have been protesting against the
TEACHERS celebrate their win “unsanitary” conditions on that campus, citing the presence of mould as one of the key concerns. And concerning Carlton Francis Primary, teachers there have been calling for the removal of the school’s principal. BUT president Belinda Wilson previously claimed that for
some eight weeks, teachers reported to work only to be “locked out” of the gate at Carlton Francis. School officials also called police officers to that campus and erected barricades amid the dispute. The government cut salaries of 75 teachers at both schools and made an application to the Supreme Court to force them back to work. Yesterday, Justice Turner ordered that the cut salaries be restored in full while the government continues to pay CH Reeves and Carlton Francis teachers’ salaries in compliance with their contracts. He also ordered the teachers to return to work.
THE Dutch company that supplied nine Royal Bahamas Defence Force vessels misrepresented to the Dutch government how much it paid a foreign intermediary that worked on the project. The Netherlands government sometimes protects Dutch companies from nonpayment through an export credit guarantee (ECG) programme, which is provided by Atradius Dutch State Business (ADSB). When the Deutsche Bank loaned the Bahamas
SEE PAGE FIVE
SEE PAGE THREE
SEX ATTACKERS DUMP VICTIM IN SEA By LEANDRA ROLLE lrolle@tribunemedia.net
A WOMAN was sexually assaulted, beaten and thrown into waters at Potter’s Cay on Monday morning in a shocking attack, police said. A 41-year-old man is in custody in connection with the incident and police said they were searching for another suspect yesterday. The attack took place shortly after 1am on
Monday. Police said a Bahamian woman was at the waterfront at Potter’s Cay when she was beaten, sexually assaulted by two men and thrown into the ocean. Five hours later, she was rescued by a passing vessel and was taken to hospital and later discharged. It is unclear whether the woman knew her attackers. Police statistics indicated reported rapes increased last year by six percent over 2017. Police Commissioner
Anthony Ferguson’s 2019 policing plan, which was tabled in Parliament in April, signalled the organisation’s plans to put a greater focus on tackling sexual offences. Earlier this year, Chief Superintendent Solomon Cash said high visibility policing will continue throughout the capital. His comments were in response to the alleged abduction and sexual assault of two young women in May.
Nassau & Bahama Islands’ Leading Newspaper
TECHNOLOGY
DIGITISING ARTWORKS IN PUERTO RICO
SEE PAGE NINE