11132019 BUSINESS

Page 1

business@tribunemedia.net

WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 13TH, 2019

$4.52 Local insurers in $85m Dorian loss By YOURI KEMP THE Bahamian insurance industry’s share of Hurricane Dorian losses is a collective net $85m, industry regulators revealed yesterday. Jamel Bodie, the Insurance Commission of The Bahamas (ICB) supervision manager, told the Accountants’ Week conference: “We will go back to insurance companies before the end of the week to get an indication of what their losses look like. But for right now the net losses are sitting around $85m.” While total Dorianrelated claims payouts were last week pegged at between $1.5bn to $2bn, Ms Bodie confirmed that Bahamian property and casualty insurers will absorb a relatively low percentage of this because of the vast quantities of reinsurance cover they purchase annually. As a result, local carriers do not keep or retain a large amount of risk on their books. While Dorian will impact Bahamian insurers’ solvency margins due to these losses and claims payouts, the Insurance Commission official said this would not be to the extent that would see them fall below the regulator’s prescribed capital ratio. Ms Bodie added that Bahamian life and health insurance companies had informed the Insurance Commission that they intend to stick within he guidelines established by the Missing Person’s law, which means that a family member would have to wait seven years before being able to declare a Dorian victim officially dead. Carl Bethel QC, the attorney general, responding to earlier suggestions made by Sir Franklyn Wilson, chairman of Arawak Homes and Sunshine Insurance, that the Missing Person’s law needed to be change following Dorian, told Tribune Business the existing Coroner’s Act enables the process for dealing with missing persons, who are presumed dead, to be speeded up. Ms Bodie, though, said that until the law is changed insurance companies they will stay with the regulations outlined in the Missing Person’s law for “any varying reason”. She then confirmed there will be a “merger” of the domestic Insurance Act and the External Insurance Act next year, explaining that the Insurance Commission wants to focus on the nature of the business rather than whether a firm is active inside or outside The Bahamas. A systemic levy of three percent tax or $20,000, whichever is greater, will be charged across different categories. The Insurance Commission also plans to fully phase-in risk based capital requirements by 2022, even though the regulations

SEE PAGE 2

$4.57

$4.60

$4.60

Insolvent adviser meets just 25% of $1m liability

Water Corp supplier fears Dorian blow on $16.2m owing

By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net

good creditworthiness. “We did have some meetings in New York, and we all felt - and our advisors told us - the meetings seemed to have gone well and were well received,” Mr Andrews said. “We were meeting some of the rating agencies. “This discussions focused not only on BPL but just where The Bahamas stood in general. It’s a real education

THE Water & Sewerage Corporation’s main supplier yesterday voiced concern that Hurricane Dorian has “exacerbated” the Government’s difficulties in paying the $16.2m debt owed to it. BISX-listed Consolidated Water, in its third quarter results filing with the US Securities & Exchange Commission (SEC), revealed that nearly threequarters of that sum - some $11.988m - was “delinquent” or more than 90 days’ owing at September 30, 2019. It repeated previous warnings that the stateowned water utility’s inability to make full and timely payments could result in a liquidity crunch for its Bahamian subsidiary, which would require the Nasdaq-listed parent and other shareholders to inject additional funding. Provisions, and ending recognition of revenues from its local water supply deals, remain other potential consequences, and the cash-strapped Water & Sewerage’s problems in paying its bills as they become due is still flagged as a “risk factor” in Consolidated Water’s financial results. Tribune Business’s records show that the sums owed to Consolidated Water are rising once again. The balance due had dropped to $12.7m at endJune 2019, meaning that it has increased by $3.5m or 27.6 percent over the three months to end-September 2019, with the proportion that is delinquent increasing from 68 percent to 74 percent. “Consolidated Water (Bahamas) accounts receivable balances due from the

SEE PAGE 5

SEE PAGE 2

A

N insolvent Bahamas-based investment advisor has been placed in Supreme Court-supervised liquidation due to its remaining cash balances covering less than 25 percent of its $1m-plus liabilities. Ed Rahming, the newlyappointed liquidator for Pacifico Global Advisors, revealed that the Old Fort Bay-based firm is “unable to pay its debts” given that its last unaudited financials show it possessed just $244,073 in liquid assets. Justice Ian Winder approved the Supreme Court-supervised winding up on November 8, 2019, after the Intelisys managing director and his attorney, Simone Morgan-Gomez of Callenders & Co, warned

• Old Fort Bay company ‘unable to pay its debt’ • Threat of client legal action made wind-up ‘urgent’ • Lease termination sparks $111k row with Mosko

ED RAHMING that such a move was urgent given the threat of legal action from Pacifico’s aggrieved clients. The securities investment adviser’s failure thus represents another potential black eye for The Bahamas as a financial services jurisdiction, given that Pacifico’s customers - most of whom will be high-net worth foreigners

and corporate entities - are unlikely to recover all assets and sums due to them even though the company was holding them on trust. Legal documents obtained by Tribune Business also reveal that Mr Rahming’s decision to terminate Pacifico’s lease at the Offices at Old Fort Bay has provoked a sharp reaction from its landlord, Mosko Realty, whose attorneys described the move as “unilateral and unlawful”. Mr Rahming, though, said the insolvent firm simply could not afford to see out the remaining 11 months of its lease agreement given that this would cost its creditors $111,000 plus a further $3,000 per month on

common area maintenance (CAM) costs. The Bahamian accountant, who was co-liquidator for Baha Mar, disclosed in an affidavit to the Supreme Court that Pacifico’s troubles first emerged when it wrote to the Securities Commission on September 20, 2019, to inform the regulator its shareholders and directors had decided to immediately wind-up the business. Arturo Klein, its chief executive, referring to a September 16 meeting between Pacifico’s chief operating officer, Kareem Kikivarakis, and Christina Rolle, the Securities

SEE PAGE 4

BPL’s $650m bond cost ‘hinges’ on credit rating By NEIL HARTNELL and YOURI KEMP Tribune Business Reporters THE cost of Bahamas Power & Light’s (BPL) $650m refinancing “hinges” on the credit rating it is seeking from international agencies, Tribune Business was told yesterday. Geoff Andrews, chairman of the special purpose vehicle (SPV) that will issue the bonds to restructure BPL’s legacy debt and liabilities, confirmed to Tribune Business that such an assessment was being sought to validate ability of the utility and its customers to repay the debt that will be

• ‘Very confident’ issue fully subscribed • Chairman predicts up to 50% bill reductions • Plans to introduce ‘rolling hedges’

GEOFF ANDREWS

owed to investors. He revealed that himself and Dr Donovan Moxey, BPL’s chairman, had met with the rating agencies the likes of Fitch, Moody’s and Standard & Poor’s (S&P) - last week in New York to make the case as to why the upcoming National Utility Investment Bond issue should receive an “investment grade” rating indicating that the borrower is sufficiently strong with

By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net

Top official forecasting jobless rate over 13% By YOURI KEMP THE Ministry of Finance’s top official yesterday forecast that the national unemployment rate could surge back to over 13 percent next year due to the economy shrinking from Hurricane Dorian. Marlon Johnson, the acting financial secretary, gave the grim prediction as he told the annual Accountants’ Week conference that the estimated total loss inflicted by the category five storm is around $2.5bn - the same estimate provided recently by Central Bank governor, John Rolle. The swift return to double-digit unemployment figures, with the national rate having dropped to 9.5 percent in the last Labour Force Survey from May 2019, is a blow to Bahamian

• Would drive unemployment back over 30,000 • Financial secretary reaffirms $2.5bn Dorian blow • Govt to keep recurrent spending at 20% of GDP

MARLON JOHNSON society but not surprising given that all economic activity in Abaco has ceased while Freeport and Grand Bahama are still recovering. Using data from that last

Department of Statistics survey, which placed the Bahamian workforce at 237,525, a 3.5 percentage point jump in the unemployment rate would take the total number of jobless to 30,878 - an increase of 8,313 upon the May 2019 numbers. Abaco and Grand Bahama had total labour forces of 14,620 and 32,825, respectively, preDorian based on the Labour Force Survey. Mr Johnson, meanwhile, echoed the revised International Monetary Fund (IMF) growth forecast for The Bahamas by projecting that GDP expansion

for 2019 will be halved from near two percent to one percent (the IMF forecast is from 1.8 percent to 0.9 percent). He also projected a contraction in the economy for 2020, with an expected pick up in 2021led by reconstruction activities in Abaco. Reiterating that the fundamentals of the government’s fiscal consolidation strategy remain intact and will post-Dorian, Mr Johnson reaffirmed that the government is looking to borrow close to $500m to plug the deficit gap created by the hurricane. He said: “What we will

have to borrow, to put it in stark terms, is the difference between what we brought to Parliament and have gotten, and what we have gotten and where believe the deficit will end up. “We anticipated that the original deficit projection was at $137m, and that deficit will [now] shoot up over $500m. The only two ways the government can raise revenue is to tax and another is to borrow. The government said that instead of raising taxes it has decided to borrow to meet the debt.” Mr Johnson confirmed the government is looking at a variety of financing sources, including the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB) and domestic commercial

SEE PAGE 5


Turn static files into dynamic content formats.

Create a flipbook
Issuu converts static files into: digital portfolios, online yearbooks, online catalogs, digital photo albums and more. Sign up and create your flipbook.
11132019 BUSINESS by tribune242 - Issuu