11082019 BUSINESS

Page 1

business@tribunemedia.net

FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 8TH, 2019

$4.52

$4.57

Insurers: Dorian losses increase to $1.5bn-$2bn By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net

E

STIMATES for Hurricane Dorian’s total insured losses were yesterday said to have increased to between $1.5bn to $2bn as the entire Bahamian industry was removed from international “review”. Anton Saunders, RoyalStar Assurance’s managing director, told Tribune Business that the figures had increased from the previously-announced $1bn because more property and casualty underwriters had now reported their data to the Bahamas Insurance Association (BIA). The revised projections

• Four Bahamian carriers removed from ‘review’ • RoyalStar: 80% of Abaco payouts before year-end • ‘If Dorian doesn’t show insurance vital, nothing will’ came as four Bahamian insurers - Bahamas First, RoyalStar, Summit Insurance Company and Colonial Group International (Security & General) - were removed from post-Dorian “review” by the major industry rating agency, and had their previous “financial strength” reaffirmed, despite a collective multibillion payout that could be five times’ the $400m incurred from Hurricane Matthew in 2016. Mr Saunders described the AM Best action as “a

very, very good vote of confidence” in the Bahamian insurance industry’s capitalisation and solvency, and its ability to meet obligations to all policyholders despite the scale of devastation inflicted by Hurricane Dorian. While declining to provide data on RoyalStar’s share of the Dorian-related losses, he added that the carrier now expected to settle 80 percent of Abaco claims before year-end as opposed to previous predictions that just 60 percent would be dealt with.

Attributing this to the increased speed with which claims are being adjusted and dealt with, the RoyalStar chief agreed with other industry executives that it was a question of how much - not if - property and casualty premium prices will rise next year across The Bahamas in Dorian’s wake. He noted the difference in recovery speed between those who had coverage and persons who did not, and added: “If Dorian does

SEE PAGE 5

Minister: BPL must not ‘burden’ prompt payers By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net

A CABINET minister yesterday pledged that Bahamas Power & Light (BPL) will clamp down on delinquent bill payers so that compliant customers are not penalised in servicing its $650m refinancing. Desmond Bannister, minister of works, told Tribune Business the state-owned utility monopoly had to “be more efficient” in collecting sums owed by household and business consumers so that it is “not a burden” on those who pay their bills on time. This will become increasingly important once the bonds to refinance BPL are placed, given that the fee customers will pay to fund the interest and principal payments due to investors will fluctuate depending

• Collections need ‘more efficiency’ with new fee • $650m bond to be placed early January • Utility ‘broke, crippled for almost two decades’

DESMOND BANNISTER on various factors that include how many are not paying their bills and to what extent. Mr Bannister yesterday conceded this could penalise compliant consumers,

BTC owner: Abaco ‘a humanitarian disaster’ By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net

THE Bahamas Telecommunications Company’s (BTC) owner is eyeing fixed wireless solutions to reduce construction costs associated with rebuilding network infrastructure in Abaco post-Dorian. Balan Nair, Liberty Latin America’s (LiLAC) chief executive, told analysts during a conference call to discuss the company’s 2019 third quarter results that the island had suffered “a huge humanitarian disaster” as a result of the

category five storm. While Abaco was “not one of our bigger revenue stream islands”, Mr Nair said it would likely take BTC, its immediate parent, Cable & Wireless Communications (CWC), and Liberty Latin America into 2020 to complete restore communications services. “On Hurricane Dorian, we think some time next year we’ll get back to pre-hurricane levels,” Mr Nair said in response to an analyst’s questions. “There is two parts to the story. First, Grand Bahama island, where we are

SEE PAGE 4

Pharmacists lose licence renew bid By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net

TWELVE pharmacists have seen their bid for an injunction to force the industry’s self-regulatory body to renew their licences rejected by a Court of Appeal judge. Appeal justice Roy Jones turned down their application on the grounds that the Bahamas Pharmacy Council had exercised its legal powers under the Pharmacy Act “for the public good” in refusing to renew the licences on the basis that

their qualifications were obtained from an “unaccredited” institution. “The joint applicants are pharmacists licensed by the council to practice at various times since 2010,” appeal justice Jones found. “The joint applicants’ academic qualifications were obtained from the McHari Institute... The council granted the joint applicants’ licences from 2010 and subsequently renewed their licenses annually. “In January 2017, the

SEE PAGE 4

while acknowledging that BPL’s history in collecting sums due was not a good one given that its accounts receivables stubbornly remain in the $90m-$100m range. Arguing that BPL “has to improve every aspects of its operations”, the minister agreed that the utility “can no longer be lax and complacent with the people’s money” if it is to regain public trust and contain any extra cost associated with the near-doubling of its existing $321m debt via the upcoming refinance. Mr Bannister revealed that BPL’s rate reduction bond issue is set to be placed

in the first week of January 2020, with the date having been pushed back from its November 2019 target. He added that Dr Donovan Moxey, BPL’s chairman, together with Geoffrey Andrews, chairman of the The Bahamas Rate Reduction Bond Ltd, the entity that will issue the bonds, were currently in New York to negotiate their price (interest rate) and other terms and conditions with major financial institutions and investors. Voicing optimism that the Bahamian team will be able to secure “very

SEE PAGE 3

$4.60

$4.56

Ex-GBPA attorney tells govt: Buy GB harbour and airport By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net AN EX-GRAND Bahama Port Authority (GBPA) attorney yesterday urged the government to buy Freeport Harbour Company as well as the island’s airport to prevent “an enormous drain” on the Treasury. Carey Leonard, now with the Callenders & Co law firm, told Tribune Business that the government “must not get suckered into just buying” the lossmaking Grand Bahama International Airport from its current owners, Hutchison Whampoa and the GBPA’s Port Group Ltd affiliate. Speaking after the government this week confirmed it is mulling the airport’s purchase, Mr Leonard argued that acquiring it together with the Freeport Harbour Company in a package deal would provide sufficient earnings to avoid having to turn to the taxpayer for further multi-million dollar subsidies. With the airport widely regarded as a loss-maker, he explained that Freeport Harbour Company’s existing income streams would help “compensate” for that and the estimated $20m$40m worth of post-Dorian repairs required at the island’s main gateway. And Mr Leonard suggested that acquiring the harbour owner/operator would provide the prospect of increased nearterm profitability if the $100m Carnival port and ITM Group/Royal Caribbean joint venture at the Grand Lucayan take-off as they promise increased fee income from more cruise ship calls.

CAREY LEONARD “I think it’s really, really important that we push the government,” Mr Leonard told this newspaper. “They must not get suckered into just buying the airport. They’ve got to take the harbour as well. They might as well get it now while it’s still functioning properly rather than wait for it to disintegrate. “I believe the harbour should do well with all the cruise ships coming in, and that will compensate and subsidise the airport until we get it up and running without draining the government. My concern is that if they just get the airport that will place an enormous drain on the Public Treasury. I just don’t want them to be satisfied on buying the airport alone. Freeport Harbour Company, which is owned 50/50 by Hutchison Whampoa and Port Group Ltd, is the immediate parent for Grand Bahama International Airport Company. While Mr Leonard is not alone in his strategy, other private sector executives having expressed similar sentiments to Tribune Business, the government has given no indication it wants a package deal for both entities. However, the ex-GBPA in-house attorney yesterday argued there were sound financial reasons for the

SEE PAGE 5


Turn static files into dynamic content formats.

Create a flipbook
Issuu converts static files into: digital portfolios, online yearbooks, online catalogs, digital photo albums and more. Sign up and create your flipbook.