THURSDAY i’m lovin’ it!
HIGH 86ºF LOW 75ºF
The Tribune Established 1903
24/7 BREAKING NEWS ON TRIBUNE242.COM
Biggest And Best!
OBITS
VOLUME:116 No.219, NOVEMBER 7TH, 2019
OFFICIA
CLASSIFIED TRADER: CARS, CARS, CARS & MORE CARS
INSIDE
‘We didn’t murder Breanna, Thea did’ Alleged killers blame friend for fatal attack By NICO SCAVELLA Tribune Staff Reporter nscavella@tribunemedia.net
A JANITOR and her friend both told police they did not know teenage mother Breanna Mackey was being stabbed to death by their other friend until it was too late, jurors heard yesterday. Sergeant Makelle Pinder said both Zaria Burrows and Dervinique Edwards told her they thought Thea Williams was “punching” the 19-year-old victim when in fact she was repeatedly stabbing her with a kitchen knife.
Sgt Pinder said Burrows, in particular, said she only realised Mackey was stabbed after Williams got back in her car after the January 2018 attack and told her and the others: “Look at all this blood on my knife”. Sgt Pinder said both women denied any involvement in the attack, claiming they observed Williams and their other three friends assault Mackey while they were seated in Burrows’ silver Honda. However, Sgt Pinder said Burrows told her that at
ELECTRICITY consumers were yesterday told to brace for an “adjustment” to their bills via an extra charge as Bahamas Power & Light confirmed plans for its mammoth $650m-plus refinancing. Donovan Moxey, the utility’s chairman, promised the proposed Rate Reduction Bond issue will ultimately
FULL STORY - SEE BUSINESS
NEW HOME OFFERS HOPE TO RANFURLY YOUNGSTERS By RIEL MAJOR Tribune Staff Reporter rmajor@tribunemedia.net A HOME has been opened giving children who have been in care at the Ranfurly Home for Children a chance to adjust as they make the transition to living alone. The transitional home was opened yesterday and board member Catherine Chrisnall-Mitchell said it was a long-held dream for many boards at the Ranfurly to have a place for children that aged out of the home system. Mrs Chrisnall-Mitchell said: “(Living here) they can do continued education; they can do job training and they can have somewhere safe rather than on occasion being forced to be returned into toxic or abusive situations because they have no other choices. Ranfurly is also trying to become a family environment and as
FEARS RAISED OVER FIRES IN DORIAN’S DEBRIS FIELDS
SEE PAGE SEVEN
result in “better outcomes” for all Bahamian households and businesses even though the “structure” of electricity bills will change. However, legislation to facilitate the bond issue tabled in Parliament yesterday makes it clear that BPL’s customer base will be relied upon to service what is essentially a doubling of the debt burden associated with the utility to secure its financial future.
L SOUR CE
SEE PAGE NINE
BPL DOUBLING DEBT TO FINANCE FUTURE
By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net
$1
By LEANDRA ROLLE rrolle@tribunemedia.net
STONEWALLED
THE GENESIS Junkanoo group in action on Boxing Day last year. The Junkanoo Corporation of New Providence yesterday said it found no “definitive or provable evidence that corruption took place” at last year’s parades. Full story - Page 3 Photo: Shawn Hanna/Tribune Staff
LANISHA TOLD - PICK UP THE BILL By SYANN THOMPSON Tribune Staff Reporter sthompson@tribunemedia.net MINISTER Lanisha Rolle must pay back the government for commemorative pins bearing her image handed out at a Youth Parliament event. Prime Minister Dr Hubert Minnis admitted yesterday that the controversial medals featuring the picture of the Minister of Youth, Sports and Culture
LANISHA’S PIN should not have been paid for by the government. Dr Minnis said in the House
of Assembly yesterday that the minister will reimburse the government $582.40. Dr Minnis said: “In view of what has been personalised, because it was a personal picture on the medal, the government shouldn’t have paid for anything that was personalised, therefore the minister will reimburse the government.” Social media erupted
Nassau & Bahama Islands’ Leading Newspaper
SEE PAGE THREE
A LOCAL human rights watchdog has warned about large mounds of debris reportedly being “intentionally” set on fire in areas devastated by Hurricane Dorian - warning that if bodies are being burned amid the debris it would be “unforgivable”. In a press statement yesterday, Rights Bahamas called on government officials to address methods being used to clear debris in the storm-impacted islands, considering the ongoing search for bodies in the aftermath of Dorian. SEE PAGE FIVE
BUSINESS
DRILLING FOR BAHAMAS’ BLACK GOLD FULL STORY - SEE BUSINESS