MONDAY i’m lovin’ it!
HIGH 86ºF LOW 76ºF
The Tribune Established 1903
24/7 BREAKING NEWS ON TRIBUNE242.COM
Biggest And Best!
VOLUME:116 No.216, NOVEMBER 4TH, 2019
HO US E & 16 THE PEOPLE’S PAPER: $1
SPORT: BODYBUILDER LORRAINE SHINES IN SPAIN
PAGES
HOME
Defence chief ‘forced out’ after 40 years swears UNION GOES
I’ll never forgive By RASHAD ROLLE Tribune Staff Reporter rrolle@tribunemedia.net
CAPTAIN Samuel Evans, the recently retired deputy commander of the Royal Bahamas Defence Force, says he will never forgive the Minnis administration for the way it treated him before he was led to retire last month. “After 40 years of unbroken service, never being seconded, never being transferred, I try to find a decent way of saying how disappointed I am in the way I was handled,” he told The Tribune on Friday. “I’ll never forget what my wife said to me in the yard when I came home, she said ‘boy they treat you like you tief something,’ so I can’t really forgive them for that. It caused me not to want to have anything to do with the Royal Bahamas Defence Force. It left a sour taste in my mouth that I will probably carry to the grave.” Captain Evans accuses
the administration of disingenuously applying its vacation leave policy to him earlier this year. He said the policy is less about fiscal prudence than about sidelining some officers so the government could form its preferred leadership teams. He joined the force as a marine in 1970. According to three sources familiar with the matter, he was the top choice of the Christie administration to succeed Roderick Bowe, who retired in 2015, as commodore of the Defence Force; however, the administration reluctantly chose Commodore Tellis Bethel instead because he had enormous backing from the US government. His retirement was announced in a memorandum last month. It was revealed at the time that Commodore Bethel would go on leave until January 15, 2020, and that the newly-appointed deputy commander of the
NATIONAL Insurance Board (NIB) workers have voted almost unanimously to take strike action. Ghion Roach, the president of the workers’ union, the Union of Public Officers (UPO), said Friday’s ballot was overwhelmingly in favour of a strike. In an interview with The Tribune, Mr Roach said the Nassau count was 229 voting “yes” with just one
SEE PAGE THREE
BAHAMAS Union Teachers president Belinda Wilson said the union will be taking legal action today against the Ministry of Education to resolve ongoing issues at Carlton Francis Primary School and CH Reeves Junior High School. Speaking to reporters at CH Reeves Junior High on Friday, Mrs Wilson noted that the union’s decision to take matters to court is a response to the outstanding concerns highlighted by teachers at the respective schools. “For eight weeks now, teachers (at Carlton Francis Primary) have been reporting to work and locked out of the gate with police presence, security officers and so they have not been
WSC UNION $5M CLAIM ENDS WITH $15K AWARD
SEE PAGE THREE
“no”. He added the count from the Family Islands should “trickle in over the next few days”. He said: “The minister has agreed to restart negotiations this week, we will see where it goes from there. (If) things go left, we’ll be back at (protesting) again, but we will work with management for now.” Last week, the employees of the NIB were on “work to rule” after their strike vote was deemed invalid.
By LEANDRA ROLLE lrolle@tribunemedia.net
SEE PAGE SIX
NIB STAFF - HUGE VOTE FOR STRIKE By RIEL MAJOR Tribune Staff Reporter rmajor@tribunemedia.net
TO COURT AFTER GOVT SKIPS TALKS
By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net
RHAPSODY IN PINK
A YOUNG musician from the Bahamas Mount Moriah Transformers band, playing her pink clarinet at the Youth Band Encounter on Rawson Square yesterday. Picture Special - Page 2 Photo: Terrel W Carey Sr/Tribune Staff
A TRADE union’s bid to secure nearly $5m in damages from the Water & Sewerage Corporation for violating their industrial agreement has been rejected by a Supreme Court judge. Justice Ian Winder ruled the Water & Sewerage Management Union, together with its trustees and president, were due just $15,000 in “nominal damages” after the state-owned water utility breached the industrial agreement clause that gave its members a “90day exclusivity” to bid on all outsourcing opportunities. FULL STORY - SEE BUSINESS
TRUST FUND TO HELP FAMILIES REBUILD By RASHAD ROLLE Tribune Staff Reporter rrolle@tribunemedia.net
PRIME Minister Dr Hubert Minnis said undocumented immigrants will be banned from Abaco’s Family Relief Centre. He was responding to a reporter who asked how the government will determine who occupies the domes. “Those will be individuals who have been displaced, but there will be no illegals in the domes, full stop, no
PM HUBERT MINNIS illegals,” he said. During a press conference at his office yesterday, he noted
the centre near Spring City will house 125 to 250 domes that can accommodate up to five people. The remaining 125 domes will be in the Spring City and Central Pines sub-divisions with the first shipment of 40 domes scheduled to arrive mid-November. He also announced that vulnerable people affected by Hurricane Dorian will receive up to $10,000 to help them recover from the storm. SEE PAGE FIVE
Nassau & Bahama Islands’ Leading Newspaper
INSIGHT
CRY FOR HAITI BUT WHY ONLY TAKE AIM AT US?
SEE PAGE NINE