10312019 NEWS

Page 1

THURSDAY i’m lovin’ it!

HIGH 87ºF LOW 78ºF

The Tribune Established 1903

24/7 BREAKING NEWS ON TRIBUNE242.COM

Biggest And Best!

OBITS

VOLUME:116 No.214, OCTOBER 31ST, 2019

OFFICIA

CLASSIFIED TRADER: CARS, CARS, CARS & MORE CARS

Jury rules Carla was ‘murdered’

By NICO SCAVELLA Tribune Staff Reporter nscavella@tribunemedia.net THE mysterious hanging of a 25-year-old South African woman at the Atlantis resort last year was a homicide, a jury found yesterday. The five-member jury, two men and three women, delivered a 3-2 verdict in favour of Carla Van Eeden being murdered in her room in May 2018. The file will now be forwarded to the Office of the Attorney General, The Tribune understands. Yesterday’s verdict meant those three jurors believe an unknown assailant used a cellphone lanyard to hang Ms Van Eeden from a garment hook on the bathroom door, and did so with the intention to kill her. The jury had three possible verdicts: homicide, suicide, or accidental

death. And in the event of the former, they were admonished by Her Majesty’s Coroner Jeanine Weech-Gomez that it had to be shown that someone actually used the lanyard to kill her. Their verdict also affirms the suggestion of the only witness out of 27 to actually suggest that Ms Van Eeden was murdered: South African forensic pathologist Dr Linda Leibenberg. That, despite evidence that no one was seen via CCTV or otherwise, entering the young woman’s room. The only two Atlantis employees who did enter her room did so for one minute and six seconds collectively - a mini-bar maid for 16 seconds and a housekeeper for 40 seconds. Nonetheless, Ms Van Eeden’s older brother Johann Van Eeden, who represented his family during the inquest and SEE PAGE THREE

$1

INSIDE

L SOUR CE

DO IT AGAIN AND INGRAHAM TEACHERS’ OVER WOULD FIRE SPEAKER’S A** FURY PAY CUT

By RASHAD ROLLE Tribune Staff Reporter rrolle@tribunemedia.net

THE behaviour of House Speaker Halson Moultrie was unprecedented and overboard, according to a former deputy prime minister and a former long-time parliamentary clerk. During a 32-minute speech in the House on Tuesday, Speaker Moultrie railed against “yellow journalism”, “fake news” and attacked the logic of Opposition Leader Philip “Brave” Davis’ criticism of him in a recent article. He declared he will lead reporters to Jesus if they target him. He was responding to the debate after he forced a reporter to delete a photo she took of Exuma and

SPEAKER HALSON MOULTRIE Ragged Island MP Chester Cooper, who was making a contribution in the House last week. Frank Watson, a former Free National Movement deputy prime minister, and Maurice Tynes, who retired as parliamentary clerk in 2017 after 24 years in the role, expressed alarm yesterday.

“I was in the House for 20-something years and I’ve never seen a speaker, FNM or PLP, deliberately set out to attack the public and the media, I’ve never heard of it and it’s unthinkable,” Mr Watson said. “Somebody got to check him, man, because he’s gone overboard. I don’t understand how somebody in the party - I don’t know who is responsible for the House other than the prime minister - but certainly somebody has to speak with him before he does more damage than he has. What disturbs me is this is the second or third time he’s done this and clearly nobody in the administration has said anything to SEE PAGE SIX

SUGARY DRINKS BAN FOR ALL SCHOOLS By KHRISNA RUSSELL Deputy Chief Reporter krussell@tribunemedia.net

A SUGARY drinks ban at government healthcare facilities and public schools will come into effect on December 1, according to Health Minister Dr Duane Sands. “People are killing themselves,” Dr Sands said bluntly of the rationale behind the ban yesterday. “We like to juice with nothing on. We like to eat

sweet, savoury, fatty, juicy food. We like to drink liquor. We like to smoke. We like plenty things which we know ain’t good for us.” Initially, government considered a sugary drinks tax, but this was trumped by a ban that had been planned for October 1. However, due to Hurricane Dorian’s devastation, the ministry made a decision to delay the restriction. With one in seven of the population suffering from diabetes among

other non-communicable diseases, Dr Sands suggested the ban should have come much sooner as telltale signs of an unhealthy nation are everywhere. While it may be easy to remove unhealthy drink options from the Ministry of Health and health care facilities, it won’t be as easy to regulate what children in schools drink, Dr Sands said.

Nassau & Bahama Islands’ Leading Newspaper

SEE PAGE FIVE

By RIEL MAJOR Tribune Staff Reporter rmajor@tribunemedia.net

THE Ministry of Education has cut the salaries of approximately 75 teachers from CH Reeves Junior High School and Carlton Francis Primary School, according to Bahamas Union of Teachers president Belinda Wilson. Mrs Wilson said the union is seeking legal advice on the matter and will “continue to fight for the rights of our members and ensure that their rights are protected”. “The Ministry of Education used armed police officers to lock out SEE PAGE NINE

Sport HOUSTON: WE HAD ANOTHER PROBLEM


Turn static files into dynamic content formats.

Create a flipbook
Issuu converts static files into: digital portfolios, online yearbooks, online catalogs, digital photo albums and more. Sign up and create your flipbook.