WEDNESDAY i’m lovin’ it!
HIGH 87ºF LOW 77ºF
The Tribune Established 1903
24/7 BREAKING NEWS ON TRIBUNE242.COM
Biggest And Best!
VOLUME:116 No.213, OCTOBER 30TH, 2019
THE PEOPLE’S PAPER: $1
ALICIA WALLACE: THE MINIMUM WAGE DOESN’T CUT IT
Has someone upset you, Mr Speaker? Moultrie launches rambling rant on media news reports By RASHAD ROLLE Tribune Staff Reporter rrolle@tribunemedia.net HOUSE Speaker Halson Moultrie launched a 32-minute attack against the media in the House of Assembly yesterday, declaring at the start of the sitting that he is prepared to lead reporters to Jesus if they target him. This comes after he forced a reporter last week to delete a photo taken in the chamber of Exuma and Ragged Island MP Chester Cooper, who was making a contribution to a debate. Speaker Moultrie, who said the photo was taken
contrary to House rules, then criticised the quality of the Press. It is unusual for speakers to use their seat in the chamber to answer critics outside Parliament. Throughout his polemic, Speaker Moultrie discussed matters without origin in any ongoing parliamentary debate, even referring to Englerston MP Glenys Hanna Martin’s challenge to Philip “Brave” Davis’ leadership of the Progressive Liberal Party in 2017 as he defended himself. He said his statements were inspired by a story in Monday’s Tribune about his
A 14-year-old boy yesterday testified how a car full of girls nearly ran him over in their haste to ultimately stab and beat to death teenage mother Breanna Mackey over an $80 cell phone last year. The teenager, an eighth grade student at D W Davis Junior High School, said he barely missed being hit while riding his bicycle as
SEE PAGE THREE
THE GOVERNMENT is considering charging dome city tenants a “nominal” fee for rent after the expiration of a free period, revealed John-Michael Clarke, chairman of the government’s Disaster Relief and Reconstruction Committee yesterday. However, officials have not yet decided on the fee or how long the free period will last. The first shipment of domes will arrive in Abaco on November 14, Mr Clarke said. “The idea behind the domes, and we’re giving consideration to this, is there will be a free period,”
AFRICAN EBOLA HAS BAHAMAS ON ALERT
SEE PAGE SIX
the car went “full speed” after the 19-year-old Mackey in January 2018. Moments later, he said, he witnessed from about 12 feet away how one of the girls, Thea Williams, stabbed Mackey in her shoulder, back and rear end. Three other unidentified girls picked up rocks and bottles from off the ground and used those objects to beat and pummel the deceased, the boy said.
By KHRISNA RUSSELL Deputy Chief Reporter krussell@tribunemedia.net
SEE PAGE FIVE
By KHRISNA RUSSELL Deputy Chief Reporter krussell@tribunemedia.net
BREA SLIPPED TWICE THEN THEY ATTACKED By NICO SCAVELLA Tribune Staff Reporter nscavella@tribunemedia.net
‘NOMINAL’ FEE PLAN FOR DOME FAMILIES
L.A. CONFIDENTIAL TRIBUNE photographer Shawn Hanna goes behind the scenes with singer Rihanna’s choreographer Jamal Green, pictured above, in Los Angeles - See Friday’s Weekend for the full story
‘I TRIED BUT COULDN’T SAVE MY GIRLS’ By LEANDRA ROLLE lrolle@tribunemedia.net
AN ABACO father said he lost his two daughters to Hurricane Dorian after the monster storm ripped the roof off the church in which they had sought refuge. The evacuee, who asked to be identified as Mr Gibbs, told The Tribune that he still has haunting nightmares about the ordeal. He was speaking as the Mother Pratt Foundation handed out food and
MOTHER Pratt yesterday clothing to Dorian evacuees. “I know most people are saying that storm is like
eight weeks out, but for people like myself it’s just like it happened yesterday. Because just about every night you relive it, especially if you lost a loved one like me,” said Mr Gibbs. “I lost my two daughters in the hurricane and…. it’s like I keep seeing the images in my mind. Everything reminds me of them. If I hear their favourite music…if I’m in the store and I see their favourite
Nassau & Bahama Islands’ Leading Newspaper
SEE PAGE TWO
MINISTRY of Health officials remain on high alert over the Ebola outbreak currently wreaking havoc in parts of Africa. There have been no reported cases of Ebola in The Bahamas and Health Minister Dr Duane Sands said work was ongoing to ensure the country remained free of the deadly virus. This comes after a flight in the United States, believed to be bound for The Bahamas, had been quarantined after a person on board was said to have visited Ebola infected parts of Africa. SEE PAGE 10
TECHNOLOGY
GOOGLE DIGS INTO SEARCH MEANINGS SEE PAGE NINE