business@tribunemedia.net
WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 30, 2019
$4.52
Govt urged: ‘Dust off’ National Plan to solve our woes
By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net
AN EX-CHAMBER of Commerce director yesterday urged the government to rapidly “dust off” the National Development Plan, arguing: “It is 100 percent the solution to the issues we are facing.” Roderick Simms, pictured, who previously chaired the organisation’s Family Island division, told Tribune Business he was at a loss to understand the Minnis administration’s reluctance to use a bi-partisan “playbook” that contained a “road map” for resolving the country’s ‘ease of doing business’ woes and other problems. Pointing to the outcry over The Bahamas’ latest slippage in the World Bank’s ‘ease of doing business’ rankings, Mr Simms said individual commentators were focusing on single or collective issues without accounting for the bigger picture. He argued that no one problem, such as the roadblocks and structural impediments to the smooth conduct of commerce, could be fixed in isolation and instead needed to be addressed through an all-encompassing, holistic approach - something that the National Development Plan attempted to do. Warning that “all sectors” of the economy and public sector were coming under “increasing pressure”, Mr Simms said “75-80 percent” of government corporations were likely in the same condition as the blackout plagued Bahamas Power & Light (BPL). Bemoaning the absence of “visionaries” able to understand the economic and social trends that The Bahamas is facing, and what is to come, he added that the government needed to “flush out” civil servants holding posts since the 1970s and 1980s who were now blocking the rise of young graduates possessing skill sets essential for the 21st century. Taking the “ease of business” debate as an example, Mr Simms said the response to the latest World Bank rankings setback had largely focused on individual topics, such as productivity, the ease of starting a business or developing a land registry. “We all have parts we are familiar with or would like to see improved,” he told Tribune Business, “but the country’s at a state where all systems have to be improved. One system touches on a another and cannot be improved in isolation.
SEE PAGE 4
$4.57
$4.55
Dealers hope 28% rise ends ‘roller coaster hell’ By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net
N
EW auto dealers yesterday voiced optimism that the industry’s 28.1 percent sales increase for the year to endSeptember indicates “one hell of a roller coaster ride” has finally ended. Rick Lowe, the Bahamas Motor Dealers Association’s (BMDA) secretary, told Tribune Business that the sector was hoping the improvement driven largely by a 68.75 percent sales surge in the 2019 third quarter - is evidence that the “long, slow slog” to recover from the 2008-2009 recession is nearing its end. He revealed that industry-wide sales for the three months to end-September were some 209 units up on 2018 figures, with the sector finding some 1,285 new car buyers for the first nine months compared to 1,003
benefits from the government’s excise tax rate cuts, spanning two successive budgets, and deferral of border tax via “bonded” facilities, were starting to take effect and had been “a tremendous help” in enabling the sector to achieve a competitive “level playing field” once again. Mr Lowe, describing the improved momentum as “very badly needed” following a decade in which sales plunged as much as 70 percent from their prerecession levels, expressed hope that “it can be sustained all things considered with Dorian”. “I think the reduction in import taxes has helped tremendously, and it’s finally now catching up,” he told Tribune Business. “The last
THE Bahamas’ main tourism promotion board yesterday said it had increased its marketing spend by 15 percent to “spike the message” that this nation remains open post-Hurricane Dorian. Fred Lounsberry, the Nassau/Paradise Island Promotion Board’s chief executive, said its website “conversions” representing persons who visited it and subsequently booked a Bahamian vacation - had increased by nine percent year-over-year for the first three weeks of
SEE PAGE 6
SEE PAGE 5
SEE PAGE 5
• Nassau/PI sees 9% website conversions rise • Board chief: ‘We’ve turned corner on Dorian’ • Minister confirms 14% September arrivals fall
DIONISIO D’AGUILAR
October to indicate bookings are on the rebound in time for the peak 2019-2020 winter season. “Around the first week of October we saw traffic increased to our website,” he told Tribune Business. “In most cases all of our efforts are focused through our website. About the last three weeks we saw that our conversions and website activity is up over the last year, with conversions being people who visit
By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net
our website and are referred to a particular property and booked their vacation. “We saw our website conversions up by nine percent from last year, with last year being a very, very strong year coming into the holidays. We have also increased our media spend by at least 15 percent from last year. We thought we had to spike the message correctly on The Bahamas
quarter was about equal to the year before, and this quarter has seen a dramatic rise. It was very needed. “It depends on whether there’s any more fleet sales to come in, but there was a general upward trend which is important.” The government slashed the excise tax rate for new autos with an engine size of 1.5 litres or less by 40 percentage points in the 2018-2019 budget, dropping the levy from 65 percent to 25 percent. Besides aiding the sector and individual dealers, it was intended to encourage consumers to switch to smaller, more fuel efficient and environmentally friendly Then, following industry
‘Spiking message’: Tourism board raises marketing 15% By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net
Container port operator $600k ahead of target THE Nassau Container Port’s operator beat the profits forecast for its 2019 financial year by some 8.4 percent or almost $600,000, its just-released financial statements have revealed. Arawak Port Development Company (APD), the BISX-listed manager for the commercial shipping facility on Arawak Cay, unveiled total comprehensive income of $8.03m for the 12 months to end-June 2019 compared to internal forecasts of $7.41m when the year began. It had initially predicted a $1.195m profits fall. However, despite beating projections, APD’s bottom line was some 6.7 percent below the prior year’s $8.605m, with earnings per share (EPS) coming in at $1.61 compared to 2018’s $1.72 per share. This, though, was not unexpected given that APD had adopted a “conservative” approach to budgeting and financial forecasting for the 2019 financial year, citing numerous potential local and international headwinds to economic activity that could impact import volumes. Besides the value-added tax (VAT) increase “curbing consumer spending for the foreseeable future”, the port operator had warned in its 2018 annual report that other development/ construction projects were unlikely to fully replace the import activity associated with the rush to complete Baha Mar’s construction and full opening. Michael Maura, APD’s then-chief executive, also warned that the US-China “trade war”, with both countries’ tariffs increasing the price of consumer goods, and the upward spike in global oil prices represented
• New auto sales up 68.75% in third quarter • Decade’s ‘slow slog’ to recovery near end • Tax rate cuts branded ‘win-win all around’
for the same period last year. While “government fleet” purchases were likely to have boosted 2019 sales, Mr Lowe added that “there was a general slight upward trend” in the market as well. And while it was too early to assess any potential impact from Hurricane Dorian, he said his own dealership had already concluded several vehicle replacement sales to clients on Abaco and Grand Bahama. Fred Albury, the Bahamas Motor Dealers Association’s (BMDA) president, echoed Mr Lowe in telling this newspaper that the data suggested the new auto industry has finally “bottomed out” and is starting to trend upwards following “a rough ten years”. He added that the
$4.56
BOB signs deal to sell $103m trust business By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net
BANK of The Bahamas has signed a deal to sell its $103m trust portfolio, the BISX-listed institution’s just-released 2019 financial statements have revealed. Virtually no details are provided about the sale, such as price and buyer identity, other than one sentence in the “subsequent events” section of the bank’s audited accounts which states: “On July 31, 2019, the bank signed the agreement for the sale of its trust portfolio.” Kenrick Braithwaite, Bank of The Bahamas managing director, could not be reached for comment yesterday but it appears that the majority governmentowned institution is exiting
• KPMG auditors warn on ‘material uncertainty’ • Over 25% of loan portfolio still non-performing a non-core subsidiary and business line as it seeks to build on its turnaround strategy. The financials show Bank of The Bahamas Trust Company as having some $102.912m in assets under administration at the endJune 2019 year-end, up slightly from $102.275m the year before. Established some ten to 15 years ago, and originally headed by ex-Chamber of Commerce president Tanya Wright, the trust company sought to target high net worth Bahamians in the domestic economy with similar estate planning and wealth management services that are offered to this
nation’s offshore clients. “Most of the assets are real estate and insurance policies,” one financial services source, speaking on condition of anonymity, told Tribune Business. “You get life insurance and put it into a trust.” While the potential purchaser was not identified, the source speculated that the A. F. Holdings (former Colina) group and its Ansbacher (Bahamas) entity were among the “best fits” for the business along with possibly Leno Bahamas or a Bahamas-based international bank wanting to break into the domestic market. While Bank of The Bahamas’ financial statements
indicate that the trust portfolio’s sale has yet to be consummated, given that the directors signed-off on them on October 22, most such deals take around three months to close following the sales agreement’s signing. Given that the latter event occurred on July 31, completion is likely close. Meanwhile, the KPMG accounting firm qualified its audit opinion on Bank of The Bahamas by pointing to a “material uncertainty” related to the institution’s ability to continue as a “going concern” due to the $136.363m worth of total accumulated losses sitting on its balance sheet at the June 30, 2019, year-end.
“The bank experienced significant operating losses for the several years prior to the fiscal year ended June 30, 2018, and has an accumulated deficit as at June 30, 2019, of $136.363m,” KPMG wrote. While that number represented a more than $2m decline from the prior year’s $138.9m in “red ink”, the accounting firm added: “Although the bank has experienced operating profits for the fiscal years ended June 30, 2018, and June 30, 2019, the accumulated deficit and lack of a consistent, sustained period of profitability indicate that a material uncertainty exists that may cast significant doubt on the bank’s ability to continue as a going concern. “Management has
SEE PAGE 4