MONDAY i’m lovin’ it!
HIGH 88ºF LOW 79ºF
The Tribune Established 1903
24/7 BREAKING NEWS ON TRIBUNE242.COM
Biggest And Best!
VOLUME:116 No.211, OCTOBER 28TH, 2019
HO US E & 16 THE PEOPLE’S PAPER: $1
WORLD SERIES: ASTROS STORM INTO 3-2 LEAD
PAGES
OUT OF TOUCH Former Speaker blasts ‘mediocre, tribal’ Assembly By KHRISNA RUSSELL Deputy Chief Reporter krussell@tribunemedia.net THE Minnis administration-led Parliament is “deeply tribal,” “mediocre” and “unproductive”, according to former House Speaker Dr Kendal Major. He contended the institution has driven disconnect between politics and the general public. Days after House Speaker Halson Moultrie came under fire for his open rebuke of a Nassau Guardian reporter – who used her cell phone to take photos during a sitting –- and criticising the Press, Dr Major publicly addressed the situation suggesting he might have handled it differently. While he was careful not to directly criticise his successor, Dr Major did not mince his words when it
came to the affairs of this session of Parliament under the Free National Movement’s direction. “How the Parliament is conducted today I believe is deeply tribal, unprincipled in many respects and uninspiring to our young people,” the former Garden Hills MP told Progressive Liberal Party supporters at a Marathon youth meeting on Friday night. “In many respects, it’s mediocre and unproductive; from the bills, to the process, to the procedures. There is a lot that needs to be answered and needs to be addressed among our people today. “We are spiralling out of control day by day, but yet the politicians of the day and the system of the day have not recognised the need to change it.”
THE National Insurance Board called on the Union of Public Officers to deescalate its issues to reach an amicable solution that won’t disrupt the pension and other benefit payments to residents who rely on NIB. In a press statement released yesterday, NIB noted the agency will continue to cooperate in good
By KHRISNA RUSSELL Deputy Chief Reporter krussell@tribunemedia.net
DIABETES - ONE IN SEVEN HAS DISEASE
SEE PAGE SIX
faith with its staff union to assist the Ministry of the Public Service and National Insurance to conclude negotiations on a new industrial agreement in an environment where the board has to improve its efficiency targets and better manage administrative costs. The statement read: “Negotiations were moved from the executive team and board to the minister of the public service and National Insurance by the SEE PAGE FIVE
BLACKOUT MISERY BACK FOR FAMILIES
BAHAMAS Power and Light expects an end “soon” to vexing load shedding that angered many over the weekend. However, according to BPL’s Communications Director Quincy Parker, given the state of the company’s generation fleet, it could not be guaranteed that power cuts would not continue as work continues to keep machines online. The utility company said over the weekend that work on a unit — GT-7 — had been suspended with officials exploring a new path forward. BPL had been trying to repair the unit since August, The Tribune was told. SEE PAGE FIVE
NIB BEGS UNION - SETTLE DISPUTE By RIEL MAJOR Tribune Staff Reporter rmajor@tribunemedia.net
HOME
By LEANDRA ROLLE lrolle@tribunemedia.net
STEP SISTERS
THOUSANDS of youngsters enjoyed the 2019 National Youth March and Rally in Nassau yesterday. Picture special - Page 3. Photo: Shawn Hanna/Tribune Staff
WITH one in seven of the population suffering from diabetes, Health Minister Dr Duane Sands is urging Bahamians to make more healthy lifestyle choices to prevent getting the disease. Speaking at the Bahamas Podiatric Medical Association Conference on Friday, Dr Sands said diabetes, which is now the fifth leading cause of death in the country, has become more prevalent in The Bahamas. “The prevalence of diabetes in 2005 was 6.7 percent. It has now reached 13.9 percent and if we include pre-diabetics, we SEE PAGE 11
SUSPECT DIES IN POLICE SHOOTOUT By RIEL MAJOR Tribune Staff Reporter rmajor@tribunemedia.net
ONE of two men taken to hospital after a car chase and shootout with police on Friday afternoon has died of his injuries. According to a police report, around 2pm on Friday, Central Detective Unit officers in the Solider Road area attempted to stop a red Honda Accord which was speeding with its occupants acting
DECEASED: Gareth Harrison jr suspiciously. The occupants of the vehicle opened fire and led police on a high
speed chase to Pinewood Gardens where the vehicle crashed and burst into flames, police said. The men then left the car and opened fire on the officers who fired back, injuring two of them. The third man escaped on foot. Paramedics were called to the scene and took the injured men to hospital. Two officers suffered minor injuries and were also taken to hospital.
Nassau & Bahama Islands’ Leading Newspaper
SEE PAGE TWO
INSIGHT
‘OUR UNIVERSITY MUST REFLECT WHAT WE WANT’
SEE PAGE EIGHT