10112019 NEWS

Page 1

FRIDAY i’m lovin’ it!

HIGH 85ºF LOW 76ºF

The Tribune

Volume:116 No.201, OCTOBER 11TH, 2019

Established 1903

Weekend

WEEKEND: DIVING DEEP TO SAVE THE CORAL REEFS

THE PEOPLE’S PAPER: $1 art books film fashion

Weekend

Chipman abandons FNM dismayed by party politics MEMBER of Parliament for Centreville Reece Chipman had been contemplating severing ties with the governing Free National Movement to represent the constituency as an independent since January. Grappling with what he described as “fake democracy” and “dictatorial cognizance”, the MP’s decision to leave the party came yesterday, ten months later. The MP told reporters he was further compelled to resign because of partisan politics and the administration’s handling of post-Hurricane Dorian efforts. These issues were what largely solidified his

A DAY after Social Services Minister Frankie Campbell said 1,208 are still unaccounted for following Hurricane Dorian, National Security Minister Marvin Dames clarified that police have reports of just 282 people still being missing. Two hundred and fiftytwo of them are from Abaco and 20 from Grand Bahama, he said. During his speech in the House of Assembly on Wednesday night, Mr Campbell said 1,003 people

Coral Farmers pages 14 & 15

A COMIC’S VIEW: LET’S GET READY TO RUMBLE

KILLINGS GO ON AS ANOTHER MAN DIES

decision to leave the FNM. Although he could not say exactly how many constituents supported the move, Mr Chipman was adamant this was not the beginning of the end of his career in politics. At 10am yesterday, Mr Chipman sent letters to the party’s Chairman Carl Culmer and House Speaker Halson Moultrie outlining his grievances, largely based on a “huge disconnect between the Parliament and the people” that he was no longer able to sit back and allow. He also suggested that the administration’s leadership was “insecure” and did not mesh well with an increasingly educated society. SEE PAGE FIVE

were missing in Abaco and 205 in Grand Bahama. The Ministry of Social Services moved to publish an advertisement in The Tribune today featuring the names of 1,208 missing people. However, the ministry pulled the ad yesterday evening amid confusion about the correct figures. Mr Dames stressed that official missing persons lists must come from the police in part because if there is a need to involve the Coroner’s Court to declare someone dead; police represent the government at such proceedings. SEE PAGE THREE

Pages 4 & 5

SEE PAGE EIGHT

By RIEL MAJOR Tribune Staff Reporter rmajor@tribunemedia.net POLICE are investigating another shooting incident that left a man dead yesterday afternoon, the fourth killing since Tuesday. According to police, shortly before 3pm, a man was shot in Gamble Heights off Baillou Hill Road. Details on this incident were scarce up to press time however, the victim was taken to hospital where he died of his injuries. SEE PAGE SEVEN

DORIAN MISSING CONFIRMED - 282 By RASHAD ROLLE Tribune Staff Reporter rrolle@tribunemedia.net

BORN TO TEACH

Diving deep to save the Caribbean’s damaged reefs

GOING IT ALONE

By KHRISNA RUSSELL Deputy Chief Reporter krussell@tribunemedia.net

Friday,

October 11, 2019 music food history puzzle s nature animals

LUCAYAN REOPENS TUESDAY

By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net

CENTREVILLE MP Reece Chipman resigned from the Free National Movement yesterday and hosted a press conference at his constituency office in Centreville. Photo: Shawn Hanna/Tribune Staff

THE Grand Lucayan resort will re-open on Tuesday, its chairman revealed yesterday, in a move that will return 200 staff to work. Michael Scott, head of the Lucayan Renewal Holdings Board, said the resort may open some rooms in the long-shuttered Breaker’s Cay property as well as the Lighthouse Pointe. FULL STORY - SEE BUSINESS

NYGARD’S CONTEMPT RULING - AGAIN By NICO SCAVELLA Tribune Staff Reporter nscavella@tribunemedia.net

PETER Nygard was convicted of contempt of court yesterday for breaching an injunction preventing him from publishing emails that were stolen from environmental group Save The Bays. The Lyford Cay fashion mogul now has just 14 days to file written submissions on why Justice Ruth

CANADIAN fashion mogul Peter Nygard at an earlier hearing. Bowe-Darville should not impose a custodial sentence on him for the breach.

Nygard is ordered to be personally present on November 14 for the mitigation and sentencing hearing. He is also ordered to pay the costs of the committal proceedings, which were launched by STB. Previously, lead attorney for STB, Fred Smith, QC, said a number of emails containing client/ attorney information were stolen from his law firm, SEE PAGE SIX

Nassau & Bahama Islands’ Leading Newspaper

DIANE PHILLIPS: HELPING OUT OUR NEIGHBOURS

SEE PAGE TEN


Turn static files into dynamic content formats.

Create a flipbook
Issuu converts static files into: digital portfolios, online yearbooks, online catalogs, digital photo albums and more. Sign up and create your flipbook.