THURSDAY i’m lovin’ it!
HIGH 87ºF LOW 77ºF
The Tribune Established 1903
24/7 BREAKING NEWS ON TRIBUNE242.COM
Biggest And Best!
OBITS
VOLUME:116 No.200, OCTOBER 10TH, 2019
OFFICIA
CLASSIFIED TRADER: CARS, CARS, CARS & MORE CARS
$1
INSIDE
Dorian’s $430m hit on Treasury
L SOUR CE
PETER YOUNG: ENFORCE THE LAW BUT SHOW GOOD WILL
SEE PAGE EIGHT
Turnquest details impact on budget and recovery spend By RASHAD ROLLE Tribune Staff Reporter rrolle@tribunemedia.net THE bill for the fiscal year will balloon by more than $430m because of Hurricane Dorian, with the government expecting to spend nearly $230m to recover from the storm while anticipating a revenue hit of about $215m, according to Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Finance Peter Turnquest. He stressed in the House of Assembly yesterday evening that his figures are preliminary. He expects a more
substantial assessment of the storm’s impact when the United Nation’s Economic Committee for Latin American and the Caribbean (ECLAC) and the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB) completes their full damage and loss assessment of Abaco and Grand Bahama. The fiscal deficit for the 2019-2020 fiscal year will likely be about $573.4m, he said. In May, the government forecast a deficit of $137m; Dorian has caused that projection to increase by $436.4m. SEE PAGE FIVE
GOVT TO ISSUE FULL THEN CAME THE DELUGE... LIST OF THE MISSING HEAVY rainfall in New Providence left a number of areas affected by flooding. See page 11 for more photographs.
By RASHAD ROLLE Tribune Staff Reporter rrolle@tribunemedia.net MINISTER of Social Services Frankie Campbell said in the House of Assembly yesterday that 1,208 people are still unaccounted for after Hurricane Dorian. The figure is a remarkable increase in the number of people missing and it caused confusion within government yesterday evening because officials had previously indicated the
numbers were steadily declining as they cross-checked databases and tracked people down. Mr Campbell’s statement came during debate on the new disaster preparedness legislation. “We’ve been able to contact or reconnect 950 persons,” he said. “To date the number of persons still missing or unaccounted for is 1,003 in Abaco and 205 in Grand Bahama.” SEE PAGE SIX
ASH CLAIMS PM’S WORDS SPARKED DEATH THREATS By NICO SCAVELLA Tribune Staff Reporter nscavella@tribunemedia.net
BUSINESSMAN Jonathan Ash yesterday claimed that the prime minister’s pronouncements about his involvement in the Hurricane Matthew clean-up caused him to receive death threats and warnings to leave the country. Mr Ash testified in court that after the prime minister made his comments, one man in particular started sending him pictures of “dead people” and told him: “Bey we ga do this to you (sic).” Mr Ash said other men from various areas in New Providence, like the Nassau Village community, started to tell him that he had “better leave the island” and that he “better don’t let no one catch him”. Mr Ash’s statements were
JONATHAN Ash outside court, with his head covered as he is escorted by police. Photo: Terrel W Carey Sr/ Tribune Staff in response to a request from the jury for him to explain what he meant when he said he was “in fear” for his life while he allegedly paid former Cabinet minister Shane Gibson bribes to ensure he would be paid the $1m plus he was
owed for hurricane cleanup work. Yesterday, he said at the time, the government had sent him a number to employ to complete the clean-up work. Most of them, he said, had on ankle monitoring devices, and some had curfews. Others, Mr Ash said, were members of various gangs in New Providence, such as One Order, Fire and Theft, and Rebellion. Mr Ash said whenever the government was slow to pay him, he would see the “anger” in his employees. Mr Ash told the court it got to a point where he would have to call former Assistant Commissioner of Police Clayton Fernander, who at the time was in charge of the Central Detective Unit (CDU), on Fridays for his assistance.
Nassau & Bahama Islands’ Leading Newspaper
SEE PAGE THREE
ONE KILLED, TWO SHOT BY LONE GUNMAN POLICE in New Providence are investigating a shooting that left two men in hospital and another dead. Shortly after 11am yesterday, the men were standing in front of a building on Taylor Street in Nassau Village when an armed man approached and shot them. SEE PAGE NINE
CABLE BAHAMAS BANKING ON PROFIT RETURN By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net
CABLE Bahamas’ top executive has said the 69 percent reduction in fourth quarter losses showed performance was “coming right” regardless of the $332.5m Summit Broadband sale. FULL STORY - SEE BUSINESS