10092019 BUSINESS

Page 1

business@tribunemedia.net

WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 9, 2019

$4.50

$4.53

$4.54

$4.54

chief insists Housing market struggles to Business Abaco security must cope with evacuees’ demands be restored before commerce can restart A by Youri Kemp

LEADING realtor has warned New Providence does not have the inventory to meet demand from Abaco evacuees looking for rental properties. Mario Carey, president of Better Homes and Gardens, told Tribune Business: “We continue to get a steady demand for rentals we just cannot fulfil, along with Nassau rentals not being cheap at the same time. What we have now is limited supply and things that are simply not affordable. “We get demand for properties under $2000 a month every day that what we cannot fulfil.” In the wake of Dorian Carey had earlier floated earlier the idea of using foreclosed homes as affordable rental units in order to in order to help displaced families. “Pushing this initiative is time consuming but we

MARIO CAREY are making decent strides and getting a lot of positive feedback,” he said. In comparison, Carey said he believes a suggestion by Bahamas Real Estate Association president, Christine Wallace-Whitfield - that families could be “paired” into a single property was not an attractive option. He asked: “Would it be comfortable to begin pairing two families who may not know each other or people who may not feel comfortable with each other, ask them to share

food and share space and abide by one another’s personal rules and standards. “It is not sustainable. It is a good idea, but it requires people to work together. But from my experience I feel people are best suited in their own space.” Carey also told Tribune Business some Abaco businesses are now looking to rent commercial space in Nassau to restart their businesses and that his agents are starting to see a lot of inquiries. Carey says that he

expects this high demand to go on for at least two years. Tribune Business also asked Carey about alleged “property vultures” descending on Abaco. “We see some, but surprisingly not as many as we thought we might have seen,” he said. “I think the stories have gone out that they have been identified as vultures, but really they are just people looking for an affordable land deal, particularly residential land on the beachfront.” Carey continued: “We want to wait for sellers to be in a good position to make sound decisions when and if they do decide that they want to sell. Don’t forget that people are still in shock and it’s hard for them to make wise decisions at this time. There are so many people trying to make money off of this tragedy, and when it comes to these property vultures we just tell them, no we are not interested.”

by Youri Kemp

SECURITY is a primary concern for restarting commerce in Abaco and bringing in international cargo, the island’s Chamber of Commerce President Ken Hutton warned yesterday. Hutton told Tribune Business: “Inadequate security is a very big factor in us getting businesses restarted because the place is just not secure. The police don’t have enough vehicles to respond to calls on the island.” As commerce tries to restart Hutton believes it is vital police and defence force officers are able to respond to criminal incidents when they are reported. He complained police don’t have enough vehicles to respond to calls and feared the situation is only going to get deteriorate “as more lootings and robberies are taking place”.

KEN HUTTON “My lumber yard was broken into again,” he said. Hutton added: “There is also no security at the ports of entry. The docks are totally and completely unsecured.” Because of this, Hutton says businesses cannot safely import cargo into Abaco and as a result the economy can’t get going again. Hutton was careful to dispel suggestions there were armed militias roaming the island. “What we do have is armed homeowners who are protecting their property, but there are no armed militias moving around in Abaco,” he said.

GBPA holds out hand Super Value presents $110,000 to to help with rebuild NEMA for Hurricane Relief Efforts AS LOCAL businesses begin recovery and restoration plans following the impact of Hurricane Dorian, the Grand Bahama Port Authority, Limited (GBPA) is seeking to engage with licensees to assess their needs. Deann Seymour, Chief Financial Officer and Licensing Chairman of the GBPA, said: “We recognise that many of our licensees face the daunting task of rebuilding. Our commitment is to provide the necessary support for their recovery that will translate into our island’s economic sustainability and demonstrate Grand Bahama’s resilient spirit.” The organisation’s executive further acknowledged that business owners were impacted on multiple levels with physical damage to commercial and residential property, in addition to employees who lost their homes, vehicles and other resources. Seymour said: “The enormity of Dorian’s impact has tremendous effects on the physical and emotional well-being of business owners. With this in mind, we thought to allow business owners a reasonable amount of time to grasp the full scope of the storm’s impact before approaching them to address their needs. “This storm impacted us significantly not only in managing material loss, but also in handling the loss of manpower, due to the challenges many employees have faced in their personal lives. This also impacts the

DEANN SEYMOUR recovery process and we saw it appropriate to allow licensees a time to assess their complete situations, so that when we engage with them, they have a better idea of their needs.” It has been more than one month since Dorian slammed Grand Bahama and the GBPA is making a great push to connect with licensees. Seymour says, “We have already begun the strategic process of connecting with business owners and we intend to make every reasonable effort to connect with our 2,800 licensees. This will be achieved through online surveys, door to door visits, telephone calls and business sector meetings.” As the engagement process with relevant stakeholders continues, Seymour anticipates her team will be better able to design, develop and deliver the best business relief assistance programme “In doing this, they will explain their business needs and goals and we will listen, develop and launch the best initiatives to support their rebuilding efforts,” she said.

IN the immediate aftermath of Hurricane Dorian, Super Value food stores decided to initiate a drive to solicit funds from customers for disaster relief efforts. Cashiers asked shoppers at the register if they wished to donate their change towards this initiative. Each day, funds were deposited into a special account bringing the total to $10,000. Additonally, Rupert Roberts Jr, president of Super Value, donated $100,000 bringing the total to $110,000. Mr Roberts’ goal is $1m. He encourages the public to continue to donate. A cheque presentation was made to NEMA on Gladstone Road on Friday.

FROM left: Debra Symonette, chief financial officer, Super Value; Rupert Roberts Jr, president, Super Value; Captain Stephen Russell, director, NEMA; and Candy Kelly, vice president, Super Value. Photo: Raymond Bethel/BIS

World Bank: Trade tensions could block path out of poverty WASHINGTON Associated Press RISING trade tensions are threatening to block a path out of poverty for the world’s poorest countries: their ability to manufacture lowcost parts for multinational corporations. In a report out yesterday, the World Bank warns that trade conflicts between major countries — specifically the United States and China — are disrupting supply chains and causing manufacturers to delay investment decisions to avoid getting caught in a trade-war crossfire. For years, poor countries have been able to “export their way out of poverty” by

feeding multinational companies with components, said World Bank economist Aaditya Mattoo, who co-directed the study. But rising protectionism “could stymie” that progress. In a worst-case scenario, the bank says, more than 30 million people around the world could be pushed into poverty (incomes below $5.50 a day) around the world if the trade conflict worsens. President Donald Trump has reversed decades of US support for ever-freer trade. In a drive to reduce America’s vast trade deficits, he has slapped tariffs on foreign steel and other products and pursued a trade war with China over US allegations

that the Chinese steal technology and pressure foreign companies to hand over trade secrets. But the damage in trade conflicts isn’t limited to the combatants, Mattoo notes. For example, Mongolia sells metals to Chinese factories; so what hurts China, hurts Mongolia too. The World Bank said developing countries could offset some of the damage by enacting reforms that improve efficiency — by speeding up customs processing and reducing border delays, for instance, and by modernising ports, roads and railways. The World Bank’s report did deliver some good news

for developing countries. It downplayed the notion that new technologies such as 3D printing would reduce trade and hurt poor exporting countries. The danger for developing countries was that automation would allow rich nations to bring manufacturing home. That is because the machines would reduce the reliance on high-wage labour that had encouraged them to move factories overseas in the first place. Instead, the bank found, “these technologies have contributed to higher productivity and larger scale of production” and have actually increased the demand for imports from developing countries.


Turn static files into dynamic content formats.

Create a flipbook
Issuu converts static files into: digital portfolios, online yearbooks, online catalogs, digital photo albums and more. Sign up and create your flipbook.
10092019 BUSINESS by tribune242 - Issuu