10012019 NEWS

Page 1

MONDAY TUESDAY i’m lovin’ it!

HIGH 86ºF LOW 76ºF

The Tribune Established 1903

24/7 BREAKING NEWS ON TRIBUNE242.COM

Biggest And Best!

VOLUME:116 No.193, OCTOBER 1ST, 2019

THE PEOPLE’S PAPER: $1

HEALTH: COULD VAPING BE HARMING YOUR HEALTH?

GO HOME

Attorney General tells migrants who lost jobs in storm to leave country By RASHAD ROLLE Tribune Staff Reporter rrolle@tribunemedia.net MIGRANT storm victims who have lost their jobs as a result of Hurricane Dorian “need to go home” even if their work permits are not yet expired, Attorney General Carl Bethel said yesterday. His comments to The Tribune came after the Department of Immigration issued a statement specifying that prospective employers of storm victims that need work permits must prove their applicant has satisfactory living conditions, because if they don’t, they will be denied. “If the employer is still paying them then they have a job, if not then they need to go home,” Mr

Bethel told The Tribune. “The files will reflect who the business or homeowner applicant is. We will know if a job exists.” According to the government’s 2018 shanty town report, 41 percent of Abaco residents in the areas were legal residents as a consequence of their work permit. Meanwhile, in its statement, the Department of Immigration said: “The applicant for a new work permit, or the renewal of an existing work permit, by a prospective employer of a non-Bahamian worker, will be required to satisfy immigration officials that satisfactory living accommodations have been arranged by that employer on behalf of the prospective SEE PAGE THREE

$6M DOME SHELTER FOR ABACO REFUGEES By RASHAD ROLLE Tribune Staff Reporter rrolle@tribunemedia.net

THE government will spend $6m to construct a “family relief centre” in Abaco that will feature dome housing structures capable of withstanding 180mph winds, according to shelter organiser JohnMichael Clarke.

He stressed yesterday that the temporary shelter is not a “tent city” because there will be no tents. He said the centre will be built in a 20-acre area outside Spring City, a government subdivision south of Marsh Harbour and Murphy Town. Mr Clarke said the domes SEE PAGE SIX

PETER YOUNG: BRITAIN’S PART IN HURRICANE AID

SEE PAGE TEN

$100M LOAN TO PAY FOR UTILITIES AND SHELTERS By KHRISNA RUSSELL Deputy Chief Reporter krussell@tribunemedia.net THE $100m Inter-American Development Bank loan contingency that was activated following Hurricane Dorian will fund the restoration of public utilities and ensure the construction of temporary shelters on affected islands, Finance Minister Peter Turnquest explained yesterday. Yesterday, IDB President Luis Moreno told reporters he had hoped The Bahamas would have never needed to utilise the loan. SEE PAGE SIX

NO JAIL TIME FOR DOCTOR CAUGHT WITH MARIJUANA

INTO THE SEMIS ANTHONIQUE STRACHAN, left, and Shaunae Miller-Uibo both finishing in first place during their respective heats in the World Athletics Championships in Doha, Qatar, yesterday. Strachan is competing in the 200m and Miller-Uibo in the 400m. Tynia Gaither also qualified for the 200m semi-finals. See Sports for the full story.

By NICO SCAVELLA Tribune Staff Reporter nscavella@tribunemedia.net A BAHAMIAN doctor has been granted a conditional discharge for being caught with almost ten ounces of marijuana in his residence earlier this year. Magistrate Samuel McKinney ordered Dr Adrian Rolle to serve 120 hours of community service for the seven ounces of weed police found in his kitchen in January. SEE PAGE EIGHT

‘DEAF EARS’ FROM MINISTRY FOR TEACHERS IN SCHOOL DISPUTE By RIEL MAJOR Tribune Staff Reporter rmajor@tribunemedia.net IRATE teachers at Carlton E Francis Primary School criticised the Ministry of Education for allowing their “cries to fall on deaf ears”. The stand-off between

teachers and the school’s principal continued yesterday for the fourth week. Some teachers are calling for the principal’s removal and have said they will not teach until this demand is met. As a result, some of them have been told they will be transferred to

another school. Barricades have been placed outside the school’s entrance and police have been brought to the campus to ensure order. Some teachers claim they have been barred from entering the campus. SEE PAGE EIGHT

Nassau & Bahama Islands’ Leading Newspaper

FACE TO FACE TALKING TO SIR MICHAEL BARNETT

SEE PAGE NINE


Turn static files into dynamic content formats.

Create a flipbook
Issuu converts static files into: digital portfolios, online yearbooks, online catalogs, digital photo albums and more. Sign up and create your flipbook.