09302019 NEWS

Page 1

MONDAY i’m lovin’ it!

HIGH 86ºF LOW 78ºF

The Tribune Established 1903

24/7 BREAKING NEWS ON TRIBUNE242.COM

Biggest And Best!

VOLUME:116 No192, SEPTEMBER 30TH 2019

HO US E & 16 THE PEOPLE’S PAPER: $1

HOME

BUSINESS: BEWARE OF FLOODED CARS BEING RESOLD PAGES MAN KILLED AS VEHICLE SMASHES INTO POLE

Size of oil leak still a mystery 12,000 barrels recovered so far in clean-up By DENISE MAYCOCK Tribune Freeport Reporter dmaycock@tribunemedia.net FOUR weeks after Hurricane Dorian, Equinor still does not know how much oil was spilled from its South Riding Point facility in East Grand Bahama or the exact parameters of the land area that was affected, an official said. Equinor has engaged an independent firm to monitor the area near for potential groundwater contamination and officials maintain they are heavily focused on getting clean-up

THIS IS YOUR CAPTAIN SPEAKING... WE’RE OPEN FOR BUSINESS

done right. On Friday, it was revealed that about 12,000 barrels of oil and water have been recovered by clean-up crews in response to the oil spill triggered by Hurricane Dorian. Before the storm, the terminal had 1.8 million barrels of crude oil stored. However at a media briefing onsite nearly a month after the disaster, Equinor Operations Manager Kevin Stuart admitted that they still do not know the full extent of the impact. SEE PAGE SEVEN

HURRICANE DORIAN DEATH TOLL UP TO 58 By RASHAD ROLLE Tribune Staff Reporter rrolle@tribunemedia.net

THE official death toll from Hurricane Dorian has risen to 58, according to Police Commissioner Anthony Ferguson. He said 49 people have been declared dead in Abaco and nine have been declared dead in Grand Bahama. During his address to

the United Nations last week, Prime Minister Dr Hubert Minnis noted that with more than 600 people still declared missing after the storm, the death toll is expected to rise significantly. Officials yesterday were not able to say whether there has been a decline in the number of people reported missing. SEE PAGE THREE

PRIME Minister Dr Hubert Minnis addressing a flight of passengers heading into The Bahamas from the United States on Saturday. He urged tourists on the flight to spread the word that the country is open for business. See page two for the full story. Photo: Yontalay Bowe/OPM

SENATOR: GIVE UNDOCUMENTED THE RIGHT TO WORK FOR A YEAR By RASHAD ROLLE Tribune Staff Reporter rrolle@tribunemedia.net

SENATOR Ranard Henfield wants undocumented storm evacuees in shelters to be given freedom to reside and work legally in The Bahamas if they divulge information about their traffickers and comply with other requirements.

“Every adult illegal Haitian national in a shelter would be issued a right to reside and work for one year come November 2 if it were up to me,” he said in a Facebook post that sparked commentary yesterday. “(It would be) renewable (up to one more year) if you can provide me with proof of employment in nine months, NIB

contributions, an apartment rental agreement and a listing of all immediate family members in The Bahamas. I’d be willing to pay $500$1,000 for information on who trafficked you in under our radars, from what dock in Haiti to which drop off point in The Bahamas and who’s been employing you.”

Nassau & Bahama Islands’ Leading Newspaper

SEE PAGE FIVE

By RIEL MAJOR Tribune Staff Reporter rmajor@tribunemedia.net A MAN is dead after crashing into a utility pole on Baillou Hill Road early Sunday morning. According to Chief Superintendent Craig Stubbs, shortly before 6am, the police control room received reports of a traffic accident on Baillou Hill Road, south of the farmer’s market. Responding officers arrived at the scene and confirmed that a single vehicle had run into a utility pole. The driver was pronounced dead at the scene by EMS and the car’s passenger was taken to hospital with severe injuries. CSP Stubbs said: “Our investigation thus far has revealed a Honda Saber was travelling south along the Baillou Hill Road corridor when, for unknown reasons, the driver would have went to the western corridor in the northbound lane and collided with a utility pole. SEE PAGE 12

SUSPECT PINNED TO FENCE BY VICTIM’S TRUCK A MAN chased a suspected armed robber with his truck before pinning him to a chain link fence with his vehicle, officials said. According to police, shortly after 9am on Saturday, an armed man entered a business on Spikenard Road and robbed an employee of cash and other items before running from the store. The employee got into his vehicle and followed the armed suspect, eventually pinning him against a fence. The Royal Bahamas Defence Force said marines observed a suspicious truck in pursuit of a male, who was on foot at the time. SEE PAGE 12

Insight HOORAY FOR CARNIVAL - BUT WHERE ARE THE LAWS TO PROTECT OUR ENVIRONMENT?

SEE PAGE NINE


Turn static files into dynamic content formats.

Create a flipbook
Issuu converts static files into: digital portfolios, online yearbooks, online catalogs, digital photo albums and more. Sign up and create your flipbook.
09302019 NEWS by tribune242 - Issuu