09262019 NEWS

Page 1

THURSDAY i’m lovin’ it!

HIGH 85ºF LOW 78ºF

The Tribune Established 1903

24/7 BREAKING NEWS ON TRIBUNE242.COM

Biggest And Best!

VOLUME:116 No.190, SEPTEMBER 26TH, 2019

OBITS OFFICIA

CLASSIFIED TRADER: CARS, CARS, CARS & MORE CARS

$1

INSIDE

L SOUR CE

Time to rebuild $100m signing for cruise port in wake of storm

By DENISE MAYCOCK Tribune Freeport Reporter dmaycock@tribunemedia.net THE government and Carnival Corporation signed a heads of agreement (HoA) for the development of a $100m cruise port in East Grand Bahama, three weeks after Hurricane Dorian ravaged the island. The signing was held at the Office of the Prime Minister in Freeport, where Prime Minister Dr Hubert Minnis and Giora Israel, senior vice president of Carnival Corporation, also signed another HoA for an $80m cruise pier at Half Moon Cay where Carnival and Holland America Lines already have a cruise development. The HoAs will be made public after they are tabled in the House of Assembly, Dr Minnis said. He noted that the initial date for signing the HoAs had to be postponed due to Hurricane Dorian. “I am pleased that we are able to have today’s signing to help in the restoration

and recovery of Grand Bahama,” he told those gathered at the signing held around noon in the conference room of OPM. Dr Minnis unveiled more details about the proposed 329-acre cruise port at Sharp Rock in East Grand Bahama, where plans are to construct aquatic facilities, a lighthouse and fort structure, and food and beverage pavilions. There also will be a “Harbour Town” plaza with shops eligible for dutyfree status on approved goods to cruise passengers; a Junkanoo art plaza of Bahamian operated stores; facilities for a number of recreational and sporting activities, such as a zipline and rock climbing walls; ski lifts, and water slides; a yoga pavilion, walking and bicycle trails; an 18-hole miniature golf course and park areas. Carnival also plans to build an open-air concert/ entertainment facility and amphitheatre. SEE PAGE FIVE

PRIME Minister Dr Hubert Minnis, left, with Giora Israel, senior vice president of Carnival Corporation, at the signing of a heads of agreement for a $100m cruise port in the hurricane-hit East Grand Bahama. Another heads of agreement, for an $80m cruise pier at Half Moon Cay, was also signed.

ABACO RESTAURANT WON’T MAN PLUNGES FROM THIRD-FLOOR RETURN AFTER HURRICANE ROOF AFTER GIRLFRIEND MURDERED By RASHAD ROLLE Tribune Staff Reporter rrolle@tribunemedia.net

THE pictures of savory dishes and idyllic seaside views are still displayed on the Facebook page of The Bae, tokens of what once existed in west Abaco, but will exist no more.

The restaurant’s owner, Brad Fox, says the Marsh Harbour eatery that scored rave reviews online won’t rebuild after Hurricane Dorian ripped through its wooden walls and took everything. According to Ken

SEE PAGE FIVE

By DENISE MAYCOCK Tribune Freeport Reporter dmaycock@tribunemedia.net

GRAND Bahama police are investigating a murder and attempted suicide that left a young mother dead and her boyfriend critically injured after he reportedly jumped from the third floor of an apartment building in Freeport late Tuesday. SEE PAGE TWO

By RASHAD ROLLE Tribune Staff Reporter rrolle@tribunemedia.net

POLICE at the scene of Tuesday’s incident that left a young mother dead and her boyfriend in hospital. Photo: Vandyke Hepburn

‘TOUGH’ FOR POLICE AFTER CRIME SPIKE By RIEL MAJOR Tribune Staff Reporter rmajor@tribunemedia.net NATIONAL Security Minister Marvin Dames yesterday insisted that police are solving crimes, although he admitted that a recent spate of criminal activity over the last month has made the job “tough” for officers.

SURGEONS SAVE FRED SMITH’S LIFE AFTER PARAGLIDING HORROR CRASH

Speaking to reporters at the Paul Farquharson Conference Centre, Mr Dames said: “They (police) continue to arrest these people. They have people in custody now for some of those matters that occurred this week and they are finding a nexus between quite a bit of them. They are solving the matters. “I mean you have a

situation where, I think the last time I gave it how many people we had on bail for murder (was) well over 100 — that’s unheard of in any country. How many in jail either on remand or serving time, I think it was well over 200, so the police are in fact doing their job.” He added: “Sometimes SEE PAGE 13

Nassau & Bahama Islands’ Leading Newspaper

ATTORNEY Fred Smith is recovering in a European hospital after surviving a near fatal paragliding accident in Italy on Sunday that required five-hour surgery. While paragliding in the Dolomite mountains of the Italian Alps, he dislocated and shattered his left ankle, broke his left tibia, dislocated and sliced his right ankle and broke two vertebrae. “I’ve had surgery and they saved my life, as well as my left foot which has been reattached to my left leg and pinned together,” he said in a statement to The Tribune yesterday. “I must rest and protect SEE PAGE NINE


Turn static files into dynamic content formats.

Create a flipbook
Issuu converts static files into: digital portfolios, online yearbooks, online catalogs, digital photo albums and more. Sign up and create your flipbook.
09262019 NEWS by tribune242 - Issuu