09252019 NEWS

Page 1

WEDNESDAY i’m lovin’ it!

HIGH 84ºF LOW 74ºF

The Tribune Established 1903

24/7 BREAKING NEWS ON TRIBUNE242.COM

Biggest And Best!

VOLUME:116 No.189, SEPTEMBER 25TH, 2019

THE PEOPLE’S PAPER: $1

ALICIA WALLACE: IT’S TIME TO WORK TOGETHER

Tennyson Wells dies Former minister had lengthy health battle

By KHRISNA RUSSELL Deputy Chief Reporter krussell@tribunemedia.net AFTER battling prostate cancer, hypertension and diabetes, “tenacious” and “fearless” former Cabinet minister Tennyson Wells died at his home yesterday morning. “I guess he gave up,”

Tennyson Wells Jr said of his father, telling The Tribune the death had been the end of two separate stints in hospital, the first happening about two weeks ago. The Bahamas Agriculture and Marine Science Institute chairman, known as an outspoken public figure, was 72 years old. “He had several

ailments,” his son said. “He had prostate cancer; he also had diabetes and high blood pressure. He was on several medications and he was hospitalised about two weeks ago and subsequently discharged last week sometime at which time he went back for a follow-up session. “He was admitted again

to Doctors Hospital and then he was there until this past Friday (when) they discharged him and he was home, he was recovering and doing well. The doctor gave him a bunch of medications. “This morning I guess he gave up, he passed away.” Mr Wells Jr said the family was coping with the loss as best they could, but

RESTORING RAND AFTER DONATED MONEY ‘FOR STORM WILL COST $19M ONLY DORIAN VICTIMS’ By KHRISNA RUSSELL Deputy Chief Reporter krussell@tribunemedia.net

IT WILL cost roughly $19m to return Rand Memorial Hospital in Grand Bahama to working condition following Hurricane Dorian, Health Minister Dr Duane Sands revealed yesterday. Officials are eyeing the end of 2019 to have the work completed.

“So the current plan is the Rand will be closed down for repairs. There has been tremendous structural damage to the Rand and that structure damage has rendered most of the facility unsafe for occupation,” Dr Sands said in response to a question from The Tribune outside of Cabinet yesterday. SEE PAGE FIVE

By KHRISNA RUSSELL Deputy Chief Reporter krussell@tribunemedia.net

DONOR money received by the government from dozens of entities and neighbouring countries will only be used to assist those affected by deadly Hurricane Dorian, insisted Finance Minister Peter Turnquest yesterday. According to Mr

Turnquest this means the money will not be used to rebuild public infrastructure or as a means to pay for administrative costs. While pledges and cash donations have been numerous, the National Emergency Management Agency has only physically deposited $2m in the bank, The Tribune was told yesterday. SEE PAGE FIVE

DAVIS: GB NEEDS TEN TIMES FUNDS GOVT HAS PLEDGED By RIEL MAJOR Tribune Staff Reporter rmajor@tribunemedia.net PROGRESSIVE Liberal Party Leader Phillip “Brave” Davis has called on the Minnis administration to increase the available funding for stormravaged Grand Bahama to $100m. On Sunday, Prime Minister Dr Hubert Minnis

announced that the government is establishing a $10m loan guarantee and equity financing facility that is targeted at micro, small and medium-sized (MSME) enterprises to either help them re-open or create new businesses in Abaco and East Grand Bahama in the aftermath of Hurricane Dorian. SEE PAGE SIX

the focus would now be on continuing Mr Wells’ legacy as he would have wanted. “We are going to try to move his plans forward as he would have wanted it and try as best we could to follow through with his plans. That is the intention.” He said he would mainly remember his father’s

generosity, intelligence and business acumen. “My father was a very shrewd businessman, very much involved in family and he believed in keeping family close and doing the best he could to keep his legacy alive,” Mr Wells Jr said. SEE PAGE THREE

GIBSON BRIBERY TRIAL DELAYED

FORMER MP Shane Gibson outside the Supreme Court yesterday. Photo: Terrel W Carey Sr/Tribune Staff By NICO SCAVELLA Tribune Staff Reporter nscavella@tribunemedia.net THE anticipated start of former PLP Cabinet minister Shane Gibson’s bribery trial was put off yesterday due to the development of certain preliminary legal issues, The Tribune confirmed. Details were scant, as the issues were raised in

Nassau & Bahama Islands’ Leading Newspaper

a closed hearing before Justice Carolita Bethel yesterday morning. However, The Tribune understands that the parties will return to court today to argue those legal points. The empanelling of the jury, which was expected to take place yesterday morning, did not happen, The Tribune was advised. SEE PAGE TEN


Turn static files into dynamic content formats.

Create a flipbook
Issuu converts static files into: digital portfolios, online yearbooks, online catalogs, digital photo albums and more. Sign up and create your flipbook.