09242019 BUSINESS

Page 1

business@tribunemedia.net

TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 24, 2019

$4.50

Red tape fear on Recovery Zones By YOURI KEMP THE government must eliminate bureaucracy and “red tape” if its post-Dorian Economic Recovery Zones are to work, an Abaco-based poultry farmer warned yesterday. “Economic concessions won’t help if the amount of red tape we’ve been dealing with is still going to be a problem,” said Lance Pinder from Abaco Big Bird Poultry. “We’re still in a day-to-day survival mode in Abaco, and we have not had a chance to really appreciate what was said by the prime minister with regard to the Economic Recovery Zone initiative. But, on the face of it, some of the stuff that will be made duty-free will definitely be needed. It will take years to build up Central Abaco again.” Dr Hubert Minnis on Sunday said the combined tax breaks and incentives package to stimulate recovery in the areas hardest hit by Dorian largely mirrors that employed for his Overthe-Hill revival initiative. The government is establishing a $10m loan guarantee and equity financing facility that is targeted at micro, small and mediumsized (MSME) enterprises to either help them re-open or create new businesses. An applicant will be able to secure a maximum of $500,000. Dr Minnis also foreshadowed the creation of a “one stop shop” for business assistance for Abaco and Grand Bahama, which will be charged with ending the bureaucracy and red tape facing businesses. It will be staffed by personnel from the Small Business Development Centre (SBDC), Bahamas Investment Authority, Ministry of Finance, Department of Inland Revenue, The Department of Environmental Health Services (DEHS) and Building Permits Unit. Otherwise, the tax break and incentive package was largely predictable. It features duty-free and VAT ‘border’ free purchasing of all materials, fixtures and furniture, plus vehicles and equipment required for all business and residential reconstruction. It also extends to all domestic purchases of qualified items so

SEE PAGE 5

$4.53

Bahamas leads region on ‘convenience bribes’ By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net

T

HE Bahamas leads the Latin American and Caribbean region for paying “bribes of convenience” to public officials so that “things are done more quickly or better”, it was revealed yesterday. Transparency International’s Global Corruption Barometer study of the region provided a damning indictment of the civil service by disclosing that 41 percent of Bahamians surveyed admitted to making such under-the-table payments to ensure they could access public services. Lemarque Campbell, a Bahamian attorney and anti-corruption activist, told Tribune Business that Transparency International’s latest research showed that the Bahamian people were rapidly “losing faith” in the Minnis administration’s pre-election pledge to combat and root out corruption. Noting that 65 percent of Bahamians surveyed last year had expressed optimism that the government was delivering on

• 41% pay public officials for access to services • Public ‘losing faith’ in govt anti-corrupt pledges • Number paying bribes doubles in one year • Nation second in hemisphere for ‘sextortion’

LEMARQUE CAMPBELL its crackdown and “doing well”, Mr Campbell said this position had now been reversed with 52 percent of respondents to this year’s report saying it was “doing

badly” in the battle against corruption and graft. He added that the latest Transparency International survey also highlighted that Bahamians were “losing trust” in governance and the integrity of their public institutions, a dangerous development for any democracy, with many of the government’s anti-corruption legislative initiatives having seemingly stalled since it took office in May 2017. While Bahamians last year identified “rent seeking” as occurring most often in their dealings with the police, the latest survey now placed MPs and government officials at the top when persons were asked whether “most or all people in these institutions are corrupt”. Mr Campbell added that the results, obtained from 1,007 telephone interviews with Bahamians conducted by the Public Domain polling firm earlier this year, also revealed that the

A BAHAMIAN financial services provider yesterday said it aims to fill “a big hole in the market” through this week’s launch of its ArawakX crowdfunding platform. D’Arcy Rahming Jr, MDollaz Technology’s chief executive, told Tribune Business that the company had spoken to more than 30 businesses and entrepreneurs about using its initiative to raise equity capital from Bahamian investors to finance their ambitions. Revealing that the response had been positive, with an entity called Bahamas Olympic Museum set to be the first to list on ArawakX and pitch to potential investors, Mr Rahming said The Bahamas had to-date lacked a formal,

proportion of Bahamians paying a bribe within the past 12 months had doubled compared to Transparency International’s survey of The Bahamas last year. While the 2018 survey found that one in ten Bahamians, or ten percent, admitted to paying a bribe during the prior year, that percentage rose to 20 percent - one in five - for the 2019 survey, indicating that the graft culture is getting worse rather than improving. And The Bahamas was also ranked second in the Latin American and Caribbean region for “sextortion”, with 24 percent of Bahamians revealing they had personally been - or knew someone who had been asked for sexual favours in return for receiving public services including health and education. Only Barbados, at 30 percent, achieved a worse ranking.

SEE PAGE 4

Freeport ‘desperately needs’ govts $10m By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net

SEVERAL hundred Freeport businesses ravaged by Hurricane Dorian were yesterday said to “desperately need” the Government to extend its $10m financing facility to the city. Carey Leonard, the former Grand Bahama Port Authority in-house counsel, told Tribune Business that this was one incentive provided under the Government’s three-year Economic Recovery Zones initiative that needed to cover areas outside east Grand Bahama and Abaco and its cays. Backing the package of tax breaks and incentives being offered to revive the areas hardest hit by Dorian, Mr Leonard said he understood the Government’s decision not to include Freeport in the zones because it already possesses

• ‘Several hundred’ MSMEs can benefit from capital • Concern FPO homeowners neglected on rebuild • Call to escrow Carnival sales proceeds for airport

CAREY LEONARD many of these benefits via the Hawksbill Creek Agreement. However, he argued that aspects of the Government’s relief plan should be extended to Freeport’s micro, small and medium-sized enterprises (MSMEs) that have been “wiped out” by the Category Five storm and have

no capital of their own to finance recovery. “The only thing he [Dr Hubert Minnis] perhaps may want to consider, and I haven’t looked at it, but there are a number of small Bahamian businesses that could do with a guaranteed loan to get up and running,” Mr Leonard, now a Callenders & Co attorney, told this newspaper. “There are a number of Freeport businesses that desperately need the ability to access that. It may be intended that they can access that; I don’t know, because there are a number of small Bahamian businesses where everything was flooded out completely. “There are huge sums of money they have to find. They have to replace

Crowdfunding platform to ‘fill big market hole’ By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net

$4.54

• Bahamian provider to launch ArawakX this week • Spoken to 30 potential capital raisers already • Working ‘hand in hand’ with Commission

D’ARCY RAHMING JR transparent mechanism to “link up” the two sides and create a winning situation for both. He added that MDollaz Technology and ArawakX were working “hand in hand” with the Securities Commission on the initiative to ensure that the

platform complied with the regulator’s proposed crowdfunding rules, which were first unveiled in 2017 but have not been brought into effect. Mr Rahming explained that ArawakX would behave as a regulated exchange in full compliance with the Securities Commission’s existing rules so that it could “transition” over smoothly once they were brought into effect. “We’re going to launch within this week. Our first project is being launched on it this week,” he told Tribune Business, describing MDollaz Technology as ArawakX’s parent company. “We view this as a big hole in the market that

we’re trying to solve; solving problems through the use of technology. It’s exciting and new. “We have all of this money sitting in our banks not being worked properly. You have investors wanting a better rate of return, and have all these potential entrepreneurs to grow that money into something else. There’s no way of the two linking up, and that’s the hole we’re trying to fill. “We believe there’s at least an $180m financing gap [for entrepreneurs and small businesses], but probably even larger as a large portion of it is underground. We want to bring all that up so

SEE PAGE 3

inventory, and there are a number who weren’t insured. They should have been and have lost everything, but that’s not because they’re not good entrepreneurs.” Mr Leonard argued that no one could have predicted the extent of flooding in downtown Freeport and how badly the city’s business community would be hit by Dorian’s storm surge. He added that even companies which built their premises six feet above ground level suffered water intrusion up to three to four feet inside. “This was something that was not foreseen and could not have been foreseen,” he told Tribune Business.

SEE PAGE 5

$4.54 Realtors: Dorian tax breaks ‘plus’ as vultures hover

MIKE LIGHTBOURNE By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net BAHAMIAN realtors yesterday hailed the government’s post-Dorian Economic Recovery Zone incentives as a “big plus” but warned other measures were required to kickstart the rebuild. Mike Lightbourn, Coldwell Banker Lightbourn Realty’s president, told Tribune Business that utilities infrastructure and living accommodation for the thousands of construction workers required to rebuild Abaco and east Grand Bahama were priorities just as urgent. He confirmed that himself and other realtors at his firm were also fielding inquiries from “vultures” eager to snap up Abaco real estate at bargain prices following the deadliest storm likely to have ever struck The Bahamas. “It’s great. It’ll be a big plus,” Mr Lightbourn said of the incentives. “But we need to put some infrastructure in place before people rebuild. That’ll also encourage the vultures even more. We’ve had several vultures looking for real estate bargains and making it very clear they’re interested in any bargains in Abaco or Grand Bahama. “One guy was quite polite about it and said it may be inappropriate at this time, and apologised for making that request. He said that if it was going to cause problems making this request at this time, he would communicate with me at a later date. The next day we had more vultures e-mailing us looking for deals.” The prime minister on Sunday said the combined tax breaks and incentives package to stimulate recovery in the areas hardest hit by Dorian largely mirrors that employed for his overthe-hill revival initiative, although it goes beyond that in a bid to revive the real estate market so vital to Abaco’s economy. A VAT credit of up to 50 percent upon the sale of all property in the Economic Recovery Zones will be permitted - a benefit that

SEE PAGE 5


Turn static files into dynamic content formats.

Create a flipbook
Issuu converts static files into: digital portfolios, online yearbooks, online catalogs, digital photo albums and more. Sign up and create your flipbook.