business@tribunemedia.net
FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 20, 2019
$4.50
$4.53
Accounting firm’s work ‘misused’ to hide fraud By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net
A
BAHAMIAN accounting firm’s work was “misrepresented” to conceal an alleged fraud that has placed $125m of investor monies “at risk”, US federal regulators have alleged. The Securities & Exchange Commission (SEC), in legal documents obtained by Tribune Business, said the principals behind Mediatrix Capital falsely branded Grant Thornton (Bahamas) “accuracy checks” on its trading performance as an audit that was conducted to international standards. This, the US regulator claims, was designed to reassure investors Mediatrix was
• $125m scheme portrayed ‘accuracy checks’ as audit • Falsehood unknown to Grant Thornton (Bahamas) • Firm’s principal ‘not concerned about exposure’ • Says it was fired for ‘qualifying’ fund audit
delivering promised returns of up to 150 percent and disguise the “misappropriation” of $41m to finance its principals’ lavish lifestyles and personal expenses. Paul “Andy” Gomez, Grant Thornton (Bahamas) managing partner, yesterday described the SEC’s assessment of its role as “accurate” and said he had no fear it would cause any repercussions for the accounting firm. Revealing that Grant Thornton (Bahamas) had co-operated with both the SEC and local capital markets regulator, the Securities Commission of The
Bahamas, in the Mediatrix Capital investigation, Mr Gomez said the accounting firm was even fired as the auditor for one of the group’s investment funds after it gave a “qualified” opinion on the financials. The Bahamas’ former ambassador to China added that Grant Thornton (Bahamas) reports “clearly indicated it was not an independent audit” that was performed by the firm, and its work was not to be disclosed outside Mediatrix’s management - something that the latter appears to have breached.
There is nothing to suggest Mr Gomez, Grant Thornton (Bahamas) or any of its executives or staff have done anything wrong in relation to the Mediatrix Capital affair, which has multiple Bahamian connections (see other article on Page 1B). He said the accounting firm’s task had been to “clarify” trading data supplied by Mediatrix Capital’s brokers, Blue Isle Markets Inc and Blue Isle Markets Ltd. The former, described
SEE PAGE 4
Strong Bahamas ties to $125m fraud play By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net TWO purported Nassau residents are alleged to be principals in a $125m fraud that involves high-end Paradise Island real estate and a $3.5m Bahamian investment fund. Michael Stewart, 56, and Bryant Sewall, 52, have been accused by the Securities & Exchange Commission (SEC) of playing key roles in a “Ponzi-like” scheme that has “misappropriated” between $35m to $41m of investor monies to finance their personal expenses and lavish lifestyles. The two, both US citizens, were said by the SEC to “claim to reside in Nassau, The Bahamas”,
where many of the corporate entities involved in the Mediatrix Capital structure are domiciled. It is also where two of the seven properties allegedly purchased with a combined $14m of diverted investor monies are said to be located. Jeffrey Felder, the SECs senior attorney, alleged that the Mediatrix Capital principals have invested more than $3m in acquiring two high-end Paradise Island properties. The first purchase, 15 Mira Mar Villas, was set in motion when Stewart wired $119,250 to an unnamed Bahamian law firm on November 16, 2017, which was acting as an escrow agent. It was described as the first of six instalments, and five matching payments
Dorian may push Lucayan sale to ‘just before xmas’ By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net THE Grand Lucayan’s chairman yesterday revealed that Hurricane Dorian might delay the resort’s sale until “just before Christmas”, but pledged: “We’ll get it done.” Michael Scott told Tribune Business that while the category five storm’s impact may push back the targeted early October closing, both Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines and its ITM Group partner had “resolved to press forward more than ever”. “There may be a slight delay,” he disclosed of
MICHAEL SCOTT progress on the Grand Lucayan’s $65m sale. “We were hoping to get it done by early October, but it may now be just before Christmas. We’ll get it done. I promise you that. “Speaking to Royal
SEE PAGE 6
‘Dinosaur practices’ slammed by small business advocate By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net A SMALL business advocate yesterday branded the continued reliance on guaranteed bank loans to finance the sector as “dinosaur practices”, as he urged entrepreneurs: “Think globally.” Mark A Turnquest, principal of Mark A Turnquest Consulting, told Tribune Business that Bahamian entrepreneurs would be better able to access more innovative financing mechanisms, such as crowdfunding, if they looked beyond the immediate
400,000 strong local market. Speaking after he addressed the University of The Bahamas’ business school on the need to finally pass the Small and Medium-Sized Business Development Bill into law following a 12-year wait, Mr Turnquest argued that this was vital to providing a legal foundation and structure to the government’s efforts in this area. While the Small Business Development Centre (SBDC) was doing everything envisaged by the initial Bill, acting as a hub for preparing entrepreneurs’
SEE PAGE 5
were made by February 5, 2018. The “final” $168,158 disbursement was made on March 5, taking the price to almost $900,000. “I have reviewed multiple documents confirming that Mira Mar Villas No.15 is an address that belongs to Stewart,” Mr Felder alleged. “These documents include information submitted to the New Zealand Companies Office (a subdivision of the Government of New Zealand) on February 28, 2019, by Stewart’s colleague, identifying Mira Mar Villas No.15 as Stewart’s address, and a utility bill from The Bahamas Telecommunications Company for service provided to Stewart at Mira Mar Villas No.15, dated September 28, 2018.”
The SEC alleged that Sewall, too, has taken up residence on Paradise Island - this time at 704 Ocean Place Condominiums - and again using monies obtained from Mediatrix investors. It added that five wire transfers totalling $2.198m were made to acquire the property over a year-long period from January 1, 2018, to January 8, 2019. The funds purportedly came from accounts with Mediatrix’s brokers, and Mr Felder alleged: “The wire transfers contained notations indicating they were for the purchase of the property, and that the property was being purchased for Sewall. “All but one of the wire
SEE PAGE 4
$4.54
$4.54
Bahamian broker in five-day suspension By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net THE Securities Commission yesterday used its powers to temporarily suspend a controversial Bahamian broker/dealer’s registration for five days until next Tuesday. The move was confirmed by SureTrader, the online broker owned by Guy Gentile, via a notice that was posted to the top of its website. It said: “The Securities Commission of The Bahamas has notified the firm that, pursuant to sections 133 (1)(b) and (f), and 133(3) of the Securities Industry Act 2011 (“the Act”), SASL’s continued registration under the Act is suspended for five days ending Tuesday September 24.” SASL is Swiss America Securities, the parent company for Mr Gentile’s interests, which he has renamed MintBroker International. No explanation for the regulatory action was forthcoming from either the Securities Commission or Mr Gentile, who employs around 60 persons at his Bahamian brokerage houses that are based in the Elizabeth on Bay plaza off East Bay Street. Christina Rolle, the Securities Commission’s executive director, who was travelling yesterday, declined to comment when reached via e-mail by Tribune Business. “I am not able to assist at this time. It is the policy of the commission not to comment with respect to ongoing investigations,” she said briefly. Meanwhile Mr Gentile, who frequently comments on the various Securities Commission and US Securities & Exchange Commission (SEC) probes and actions against him, did not return Tribune Business’ phone or e-mail messages
seeking comments. The five-day suspension means that SureTrader will be unable to conduct securities trading on behalf of its clients or itself until this sanction expires. The Securities Industry Act sections referenced as the rationale for the Securities Commission’s move enable the regulator to take action “in the public interest”. These allow it to “order a person, a class of persons or all persons to cease trading a security, class of security or all securities” and “impose conditions or restrictions on a registration, or suspend or revoke a registration”. The Securities Commission can implement this for up to 15 days without a hearing “if it considers it necessary and in the public interest to do so”. While the motivation for the Bahamian regulator’s action remains unclear, one legal source with experience of the capital markets said the action could merely be “an opening salvo” potentially leading to more extended supervisory steps or an effort to provide time for more information to be gathered. Mr Gentile and Swiss America Securities previously agreed to a $120,000 settlement with the Securities Commission in 2018 after failings were identified failings in their customer due diligence processes and record-keeping procedures. “During May 2016 the commission conducted an inspection for cause and discovered breaches further outlined in the report,” the settlement agreement said. “The issues revealed in the report primarily concerned Swiss-America Securities’ operations and the failure to ensure full compliance with the provisions of the Act, including KYC (Know Your Customer) issues,
SEE PAGE 3