WEDNESDAY i’m lovin’ it!
HIGH 86ºF LOW 76ºF
The Tribune Established 1903
24/7 BREAKING NEWS ON TRIBUNE242.COM
Biggest And Best!
VOLUME:116 No.184, SEPTEMBER 18TH, 2019
THE PEOPLE’S PAPER: $1
ALICIA WALLACE: IT’S TIME TO HELP, NOT TO FIGHT
Chaos for the refugees • Long lines and desperate people at Social Services • Hours-long wait to get replacement documents • Displaced left hunting for work and places to stay By RASHAD ROLLE Tribune Staff Reporter rrolle@tribunemedia.net RESPONDING to the chaos Hurricane Dorian left behind continued to strain government offices yesterday, producing long lines and rowdy crowds of people desperate for help. At the Department of Social Services on Baillou Hill Road, hundreds sought housing, clothing, financial and food assistance. Less than two miles away on Shirley Street, scores packed the Registrar General’s Department, seeking to replace birth certificates and other documents lost in
the storm. The government offices were not designed to service so many people in such a short period of time and for many this realisation seemed to settle in more with each hour that passed. Security guards tightly controlled entrances to both places, letting small groups in only when space became available. For some, this meant five hours or more in the sun on a day when temperatures nearly soared to 90 degrees. “I been here from after 9am, these people don’t have no water for you, you SEE PAGE THREE
PEOPLE were left waiting for hours yesterday at both the Department of Social Services and the Registrar General’s Department, as government services struggled to cope with the number of people in need of help after Hurricane Dorian. Among those waiting was Alesha McNeill, pictured seated centre, who lost the roof of her home in Fortune Bay, Grand Bahama, who had obtained a copy of her police record and a job application form, who said: “I just need clothes because I lost everything in the storm. I need a job. I just need help.” Photo: Rashad Rolle/Tribune Staff
25 AUTOPSIES CARRIED NO PLANS YET FOR TAXES OUT SO FAR AFTER DORIAN TO PAY FOR REBUILDING By KHRISNA RUSSELL Deputy Chief Reporter krussell@tribunemedia.net OF the 51 official casualties of deadly Hurricane Dorian, autopsies have been carried out on about 25 Abaco victims thus far, Health Minister Dr Duane Sands confirmed yesterday. Dr Sands said the government’s intention is to treat
each victim with dignity, adding there were no plans to conduct mass burials. He also said due to the nature of the storm, some of the victims’ bodies may never be recovered. However, he was unable to state how long officials would continue to store unidentified remains, SEE PAGE SIX
By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net
THE DEPUTY prime minister yesterday said there are no plans for new or increased taxes to finance Dorian rebuilding “at this point”, adding: “That is not part of the discussion.” Peter Turnquest said the Government had yet “to
exhaust all our options” other than taxes for funding a restoration effort that will cost several hundred million, if not billions, of dollars. He said The Bahamas did “not have the option” of delaying post-Dorian recovery given the importance of Grand Bahama and Abaco to the overall economy. FULL STORY - SEE BUSINESS
COUPLE FOUND BEATEN TO DEATH IN APARTMENT By RIEL MAJOR Tribune Staff Reporter rmajor@tribunemedia.net POLICE are investigating a double homicide after a man and woman were found in an apartment unresponsive
with visible injuries early yesterday morning. According to reports, police were called to the apartment on Gladstone Road shortly after 4am when neighbours heard screams. Officers discovered the couple unresponsive
Nassau & Bahama Islands’ Leading Newspaper
with visible blunt force trauma to their bodies. Paramedics were called to the scene and attempted to revive the couple, but were unsuccessful. SEE PAGE TEN