MONDAY TUESDAY i’m lovin’ it!
The Tribune Established 1903
24/7 BREAKING NEWS ON TRIBUNE242.COM
HIGH 88ºF LOW 79ºF
Biggest And Best!
VOLUME:116 No.183, SEPTEMBER 17TH, 2019
THE PEOPLE’S PAPER: $1
WOMAN: MAKING THE MOST OF CHILD-FREE HOURS
Tent cities for GB and Abaco • MEMORIAL SITE PLAN FOR MUDD AND PIGEON PEAS • SHANTY BUILDINGS ‘PUT LIVES IN DANGER’ By RASHAD ROLLE Tribune Staff Reporter rrolle@tribunemedia.net THE government may create a memorial site where The Mudd and Pigeon Peas once stood as the country’s largest shanty town communities - and is also considering tent cities to get people back to Grand Bahama and Abaco, Prime Minister Dr Hubert Minnis said yesterday. Cabinet is eying the
solution as a way to pay respects to the people who died there during Hurricane Dorian. Meanwhile, Cabinet is ironing out plans to erect large tent cities on hurricane ravaged islands to faciliate the relocation of evacuees back to their communities. With debris still widely scattered in the decimated shanty towns, an account of how many bodies lay beneath the rubble remains elusive. A Haitian advocacy group, the United Haitian
Community Front, has said more than 300 people from the communities are listed as missing following the storm. In the days after Hurricane Dorian, some residents spoke openly about wanting to rebuild the shanty towns, prompting the government to issue a prohibition order on Sunday to prevent construction of residential and business structures for six months.
PRIME Minister Dr Hubert Minnis pictured yesterday. Photo: Shawn Hanna/ Tribune Staff
SEE PAGE THREE
DEATH TOLL RISES BY ONE POLICE PROBE SPATE OF - BUT MANY STILL MISSING NEW PROVIDENCE KILLINGS By KHRISNA RUSSELL Deputy Chief Reporter krussell@tribunemedia.net SEARCH and recovery teams have not yet got to the bottom of mounds of rubble in certain areas of Abaco, including The Mudd, making it more probable for the Hurricane Dorian death toll to substantially increase. The official death toll
rose to 51 yesterday after the Royal Bahamas Police Force said the remains of a Caucasian man was discovered in the Marsh Harbour area shortly after 10am. There have been 43 deaths in Abaco and eight in Grand Bahama, according to police. For the past week the official number of casualties stood at 50. SEE PAGE TWO
By RIEL MAJOR Tribune Staff Reporter rmajor@tribunemedia.net POLICE are investigating four new homicides after two men were found with gunshot injuries in a space of 12 hours and a man who was shot on Saturday died in hospital - before a double shooting last night claimed the life of another victim.
Nassau & Bahama Islands’ Leading Newspaper
This means there have been ten recorded murders so far this month, doubling the total number of murders police recorded in September 2018, which was five. A man was found dead on Johnson Road, off Eastern road yesterday morning. The killing came hours after a man was shot SEE PAGE EIGHT