TRADING, THE CORNÈRTRADER WAY. Try our free demo at cornertrader.com
business@tribunemedia.net
MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 16, 2019
$4.50
$3-5bn Dorian ‘cataclysmic’ if Nassau struck By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net THE Bahamas would have taken a “cataclysmic” hit if Hurricane Dorian struck Nassau, Moody’s Analytics believes, while still predicting the storm has cost this nation between $3bn to $5bn. Adam Kamins, senior regional economist at Moody’s Analytics, which operates independently of its credit rating agency counterpart, said initial estimates showed the vast majority of physical damage and economic loss had been inflicted upon this nation. With tourism accounting for around 50 percent of Bahamian gross domestic product (GDP), and 20 percent of this nation’s room inventory out of action due to the devastation in Abaco and Grand Bahama, Mr Kamins forecast that “ten percent of output may have been removed from the economy”. He added that if there was “a silver lining” from the storm it was the fact New Providence, home to Nassau and the majority of this nation’s economic assets,
SEE PAGE 10
$4.54
ZNS facing $542,000 summary judgment bid By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net
Z
NS is facing a $542,000 summary judgment bid over claims that it breached a satellite leasing contract with two years of the deal remaining. Attorneys for Centrex Centrex Communications Corporation, in September 12 letter to the southern New York federal court, said they believed it was “appropriate” to now file a motion for summary judgment against the Bahamian state-owned broadcaster. The letter, which has been obtained by Tribune Business, requests a conference before Judge Nelson Roman prior to the motion’s filing amid indications that Centrex has lost patience with efforts to settle the matter outside of the US court system. “The instant matter is a relatively straightforward breach of contract case,”
Abaco Chamber eyes ‘amazing opportunity’ via Project Resurrect By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net THE Abaco Chamber of Commerce’s president yesterday hailed “an amazing opportunity to rebuild the entire island” following the “overwhelming” response to its Project Resurrect initiative. Speaking after the project’s Friday’s unveiling, Ken Hutton said the Abaco Chamber had obtained the joint support of the Bahamas Chamber of Commerce and Marsh Harbour/Spring City district council for an effort that is focused on rebuilding the business community in Marsh Harbour and the wider island. Disclosing that “incredible feedback” had already been received, Mr Hutton said Project Resurrect is seeking a combination of charitable donations and private sector funding to help Abaco businesses restart following the devastation inflicted by Hurricane Dorian. The Abaco Chamber chief, who pledged to rebuild “a New Abaco” in a letter detailing the initiative’s goals, said the organisation and its supporters aimed to “recreate a world-class destination” via a strategic approach that will first focus on rebuilding the physical and services infrastructure needed for every-day survival. Acknowledging that restoration costs would likely run into the “hundreds of millions, if not billions”, Mr Hutton said the island’s
$4.53
KEN HUTTON recovery depended on the government and private sector working together as neither could achieve this ambition on their own. While many observers have suggested it will take several years for Abaco to recover from Dorian’s wrath, he argued - describing himself as “an optimist” - that this could be reduced to one year or even “a number of months” once the private sector was “motivated” and had “direction”. Mr Hutton said a number of Abaco businesses were “never coming back” after being wiped out by Dorian, while providing others with access to capital - especially small and medium-sized businesses - was key to a swift commercial revival. He conceded that attracting a workforce back to Abaco, following the island’s post-Dorian depopulation, was also critical and required the setting out of “a vision” residents could buy into and encourage them to return and invest. Unveiling Project Resurrect, Mr Hutton and the Abaco Chamber wrote in a September 13 letter: “The storm utterly destroyed the
SEE PAGE 8
$4.59
BERNARD EVANS
Unions challenge Dorian advances • Satellite leasing provider petitions New York court to civil servants • Argues immediate damages move ‘appropriate’
attorney Joshua Sklarin argued on Centrex’s behalf, alleging that all the elements necessary to support its claim against ZNS and the Broadcasting Corporation of The Bahamas (BCB) were in place. “Here, Centrex and defendant, the Broadcasting Corporation of the Bahamas entered into a five-year contract for satellite services. The contract requires BCB to pay Centrex $22,600 per month ($271,200 per annum) from January 1, 2016, through December 31, 2020,” he added. “In short, in the midst of a five-year contract, BCB breached said contract by not making the required monthly payments. The last payment made by BCB was for the month of December 2018. “Due to BCB’s breach, and despite Centrex’s mitigation attempts, Centrex has been damaged in an amount
of no less than $542,400 in addition to attorneys’ fees and other costs and interest. The contract provides for 1.5 percent interest on any amount not paid calculated from the date that payment was due.” The cash-strapped Broadcasting Corporation of The Bahamas is again due to receive a near-$8m subsidy, $7.579m, in the 2019-2020 fiscal year, which means that any judgment obtained by Centrex against it will likely have to be covered by Bahamian taxpayers. Tribune Business reported earlier this year that ZNS’ US attorneys switched Centrex’s claim from the New York State Supreme Court to the southern New York federal court, filing a “notice of removal” to achieve this in early April. Little occurred in the subsequent five months until the filing of Centrex’s letter to the judge last week,
indicating that the two parties’ efforts to settle the matter out-of-court may have proven unsuccessful. Prior legal filings suggest that the state-owned broadcaster was seeking to extricate itself from a longterm deal that the Christie government effectively locked the Minnis administration into. Documents obtained by Tribune Business reveal that ZNS’ relationship with Centrex began under the last Ingraham administration when it agreed to lease satellite capacity from the US firm for transmission of its television programming. The deal, signed on ZNS’ behalf by then-general manager Edwin Lightbourn, featured a Master Service Agreement (MSA) that was accompanied by a Service Order setting out specifics of
SEE PAGE 6
By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net
TRADE union leaders are challenging the government’s decision to offer Dorian-ravaged civil servants a two-month salary advance rather than the $800 lump sum payment agreed pre-storm. Bernard Evans, the National Congress of Trade Unions of The Bahamas (NCTUB) president, told Tribune Business he found it difficult to see how the government could afford such an advance that was likely more than the lump sum it had been struggling to pay Bahamas Public Services Union (BPSU) members. The Minnis administration’s efforts to help civil servants in Abaco and Grand Bahama were revealed in an internal government message sent by Athena Marche, the acting
SEE PAGE 7