business@tribunemedia.net
MONDAY, AUGUST 12, 2019
$4.80
$4.83
Sarkis: Supreme Court Order breach by CCA By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net
S
ARKIS Izmirlian has accused Baha Mar’s former receivers of violating a Bahamian Supreme Court Order by passing confidential legal documents to the project’s main contractor. The $4.2bn mega resort’s original developer, in a letter to the New York State Supreme Court, is alleging that the Deloitte & Touche accountants who took possession of
• Ex-receivers ‘sneaked’ papers to contractor • Despite Bahamian court upholding ‘sealing’ • Wants New York judge to order destruction
SARKIS IZMIRLIAN
Minister: Jobs rise ‘more meaningful’ than under PLP By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net A CABINET minister yesterday hailed the tenyear low in the national unemployment rate as “more meaningful” jobs growth than that achieved by the former administration’s “failed policies”. Dionisio D’Aguilar, minister of tourism and aviation, told Tribune Business that the 1.2 percentage point reduction over the past six months had been “private sector driven” as opposed to the Christie government’s policy of expanding the public sector.
Arguing that the latter had contributed to the government’s ballooning fiscal deficits and credit rating downgrades, Mr D’Aguilar said the 24 percent year-over-year growth in hotel and restaurant sector employment in the six months to May 2019 showed that the tourism industry’s “double digit” arrivals and revenue growth was now filtering down to “the man on the ground”. Speaking after the May Labour Force Survey revealed that the national unemployment rate had
SEE PAGE 6
Tourism minister: BPL blackouts ‘embarrassing’ By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net THE minister of tourism yesterday admitted that the frequent power outages are “very embarrassing” for the industry, and said: “Relief can’t come soon enough.” Dionisio D’Aguilar told Tribune Business that the government is “striving every day” to fix Bahamas Power & Light’s (BPL) woes, branding its inability to maintain a consistent, reliable energy supply as “a vexing problem for decades”. He was backed by
DIONISIO D’AGUILAR Jeffrey Beckles, the Bahamas Chamber of Commerce and Employers Confederation’s (BCCEC) chief executive, who told this newspaper that BPL’s New Providence generation
SEE PAGE 5
the property following his ousting “surreptitiously delivered” papers crafted by his attorneys to China Construction America (CCA). Mr Izmirlian and his BML Properties vehicle, in their August 9 letter, claimed that the hand over of “patently privileged” legal opinions occurred just one day before the Bahamian Supreme Court heard arguments over CCA’s bid
to gain access to them. The Chinese state-owned contractor’s push to have the papers “unsealed” was rejected by the Bahamian courts, and Mr Izmirlian is effectively accusing it of circumventing this nation’s judicial system to obtain an advantage in their battle over his $2.4bn fraud and breach of contract claim.
SEE PAGE 4
$4.83
$4.83
URCA investigates ‘tightrope walking’ BPL over outages By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net REGULATORS have initiated an investigation into load shedding at Bahamas Power & Light (BPL), which admitted yesterday it is “walking a tightrope” every day to keep the power on. Stephen Bereaux, the Utilities Regulation and Competition Authority’s (URCA) chief executive, told Tribune Business it had begun its probe two weeks ago when the first round of load shedding and power outages hit New Providence.
STEPHEN BEREAUX Disclosing that the energy sector regulator was still in “the information gathering stage”, Mr Bereaux said URCA was focusing on whether BPL’s inability to deliver a consistent, reliable
SEE PAGE 5