business@tribunemedia.net
WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 11, 2019
$4.74
$4.74
$4.54
$4.59
disaster Lucayan chief aims to $100m loan drawdown ‘ratchet up’ sales talks ‘within 2 weeks’ By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net
T
HE Grand Lucayan’s chairman yesterday said he is aiming to “ratchet up” talks for the resort’s sale given that Freeport needs an “economic booster” more than ever after Hurricane Dorian. Michael Scott, who heads the governmentowned vehicle that controls the hotel, told Tribune Business he had already reached out to Royal Caribbean executives in a bid to “expedite” negotiations and was hoping to “schedule a meeting” by this Friday. He revealed that the damage inflicted on the resort by the category five storm was “not as bad as feared”, with the Grand Lucayan faring much better than its experience
• Freeport needs ‘expedited economic booster’ • Dorian damage ‘not as bad as feared’ • Fared better than Matthew and fully insured
MICHAEL SCOTT with Hurricane Matthew in October 2016 - an event that triggered Memories’ departure and, ultimately, government intervention that purchased the resort from a Hutchison Whampoa affiliate. While unable to provide
a dollar figure for Dorian’s damage, Mr Scott said the Grand Lucayan had been “fully insured” through RoyalStar Assurance and was now awaiting the arrival of loss adjusters so it could kickstart the claims process. He added that Lucayan Renewal Holdings is now focusing on preparing the closed hotel to accommodate Dorian rescue and recovery teams, as Freeport was presently “not open for business”. With government negotiators “supposed to convene soon” with the Grand Lucayan’s prospective purchasers, Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines and its ITM Group joint
venture partner, Mr Scott said Dorian’s destructive effects on Grand Bahama’s economy had motivated him to try and accelerate the sales process. “What I’d like to do is ratchet up the process and expedite it,” he told Tribune Business, “because Freeport is going to need that economic booster. It needed it before, and we’re going to start. “I’ve already had a preliminary chat, discussion with Royal Caribbean’s people, and I am going to be touching base and scheduling a meeting. I’m going to try and do that by Friday.”
SEE PAGE 4
By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net THE government will make its first drawdown on the $100m Inter-American Development Bank (IDB) disaster recovery loan facility “within the next two weeks”, a top official has confirmed. Marlon Johnson, the Ministry of Finance’s financial secretary, told Tribune Business that the government was still finalising how the funding available from the IDB will be disbursed and how the drawdown will be split into different tranches. “The status of that is we’re still finalising the disbursement process,” he said, when asked by this newspaper whether the government had yet accessed that credit line. “That should be completed shortly, and we also have to determine the
MARLON JOHNSON tranche payouts. “There’s some internal things we have to do decide as a ministry as to how we want the money disbursed. Those are happening right now. There’s some other things that we have to give to policymakers on how they want things to progress. I would imagine in the next two weeks you will see the first drawdown on that.” The $100m IDB contingent credit facility, put
SEE PAGE 6
Oban brushes off ‘insane’ Half of Dorian victims lack insurance cover warning over oil spillage • And up to 75% may be underinsured By YOURI KEMP
By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net OBAN Energies “remains confident” in the environmental soundness of its $5.5bn oil storage/refinery project despite warnings it would be “insane” to proceed given the post-Dorian spill. Fred Smith QC, the Callenders & Co attorney and partner, yesterday urged the government not to continue negotiations with the developers after the devastation inflicted by the category five storm at South Riding Point highlighted the potential dangers of another oil-related facility in east Grand Bahama. Speaking out after the near-environmental disaster at that storage and transhipment facility, Mr Smith told Tribune Business: “We cannot have an Oban operating here. We cannot have an oil refinery operating here. “It’s insane to keep thinking about this. Given what has happened at South Riding Point it would be insane of the government to continue discussions with Oban. I urge them not to. The only thing that saved a major oil-related catastrophe on the south-west coast is that the wind seemed to be blowing it north-west coming out of the south-east.” Equinor, South Riding Point’s owner, has been forced to mobilise cleanup teams after Hurricane Dorian tore the roofs off several oil storage tanks and scattered an unknown quantity of the product
FRED SMITH QC across nearby land. To-date, it appears that the oil which leaked has not polluted the nearby sea and shoreline, although that has yet to be confirmed. An Oban consultant yesterday told Tribune Business that the group had “reached out” to Equinor to offer its help in addressing the oil spill, and expressed confidence in the sustainability and “environmental friendliness” of its own proposal which is also focused in east Grand Bahama in an area closed to South Riding Point. “Oban extends its condolences to the people of The Bahamas on the trail of destruction left by Hurricane Dorian,” the consultant said. “Oban’s focus, at this time, is on the well-being of residents of Abaco and Grand Bahama on particular. “Oban is quite aware of reports related to that oil spill. Without all the facts Oban will not give comment on the particulars of the oil spill, but has reached out to Equinor officials, and has every confidence that Equinor has the matter under control. Every indication and assessment suggests there is no cause for alarm.”
SEE PAGE 3
BAHAMIAN insurers yesterday warned that up to three-quarters of property owners in the areas Dorian hit hardest may be unable to gain full compensation for their losses. Members of the Bahamas Insurance Association (BIA), addressing Dorian’s implications, highlighted the significant financial burden that may be imposed on the government and Bahamian taxpayers to finance rebuilding by suggesting that between 40-50 percent of impacted homes and businesses may be totally uninsured. Timothy Ingraham, Summit Insurance Company’s president, responding to a question from Tribune
• Industry confirms $500m payout estimate • Payments to start today; premiums may rise
L-R: PATRICK WARD, president, Bahamas First; Glen Ritchie, president, Family Guardian; Warren Rolle, BIA chairman; Timothy Ingraham, president, Summit Insurance. Business, said “anywhere from 40 percent to 50 percent of the persons in the affected areas are
uninsured, and some 75 percent are underinsured”. Bahamian insurers have frequently warned their
clients to review the sums insured on their homeowners and personal contents policies, especially those who had purchased their properties before VAT’s introduction on New Year’s Day 2015, as the tax’s arrival may have resulted in their assets becoming under-insured. Meanwhile, BIA members yesterday confirmed initial estimates that Dorian claims payouts could set an unwanted Bahamian record by coming in at over
SEE PAGE 5
BTC, Aliv at odds on post-Dorian roaming By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net THE Bahamas Telecommunications Company (BTC) and Aliv are at odds over how long customers should be allowed to roam free of charge on each other’s networks in the Dorian-hit islands. Garfield “Garry” Sinclair, BTC’s chief executive, yesterday told Tribune Business he was “hoping and praying” its main competitor would agree to permit free mobile voice and data services for 30 days on Abaco and Grand Bahama. While the two mobile rivals have already implemented national roaming on each other’s network
• Two sides 16 days apart on GB, Abaco • BTC ‘hoping and praying’ for 30 days • Aliv seeks 14: ‘It can’t go on forever’ after being ordered to do so by the Utilities Regulation and Competition Authority (URCA), Mr Sinclair said they have yet to conclude an agreement on the terms of this arrangement. He expressed surprise that Aliv executives had spoken publicly about the deal and given the impression that the terms it was seeking had been agreed, arguing that it was “premature” to have done so in the absence of a concluded agreement. GARFIELD SINCLAIR
DAMIEN BLACKBURN
SEE PAGE 5