FRIDAY i’m lovin’ it!
HIGH 87ºF LOW 78ºF
The Tribune Established 1903
Weekend
Volume:116 No.171, AUGUST 30TH, 2019
WEEKEND: HELPING HANDS FOR WHEN BABY COMES EARLY
THE PEOPLE’S PAPER: $1
Friday, August 30, 2019 art books culture film fashio n gardening food anima ls puzzle
Weekend
Dorian rages in By KHRISNA RUSSELL Deputy Chief Reporter krussell@tribunemedia.net HURRICANE Dorian could intensify into a “very damaging” 156mph Category Four storm that lingers for hours in The Bahamas, according to AccuWeather senior meteorologist Dan Kottlowski yesterday. In an interview with The Tribune, Mr Kottlowski said new computer models show that when Dorian passes over Grand Bahama and Abaco this weekend, there is the potential for it to develop into a more powerful storm. These models predict Hurricane Dorian making landfall on those islands Sunday and into Monday, he said. Last night, Prime Minister Dr Hubert Minnis met officials from NEMA and government as the country prepares for the hurricane. He will address the nation live today at noon.
“It’s now looking as if Dorian will pass over very close to northern Abaco and northern Grand Bahama as we go through Sunday – Sunday night perhaps early Monday,” said Mr Kottlowski. “It could very well be a category four hurricane with winds of up to 130mph and 156mph. “The biggest issues right now are the fact that the implications are that if it does take this track close to northern Abaco and Grand Bahama, it could bring damaging winds very close to those islands as well as very heavy rainfall and some storm surge as well. There is a possibility that this hurricane might stall close to Grand Bahama or northern Abaco during Sunday or Sunday night into Monday. “Some new computer information is certainly showing the possibility of that happening.” SEE PAGE THREE
Miami
DIAMOND DREAM
8 AM FRI
Havana
11 AM THU DORIAN
Port-au-Prince
San Juan
HURRICANE GUIDE INSIDE TODAY
By RASHAD ROLLE Tribune Staff Reporter rrolle@tribunemedia.net A HEARING about whether the Bahamas Doctors Union breached the Industrial Relations Act and will remain restrained from participating in a strike was adjourned yesterday. Supreme Court Justice Ian Winder extended his injunction order until September 19, the new hearing date. Trade Union Congress President Obie Ferguson requested the adjournment after telling the court he had too little time to prepare because of a trial that concluded just two hours before the hearing. SEE PAGE FIVE
HAITIAN Foreign Minister Bocchit Edmond said yesterday that the suspension of visa issuance to Haitian nationals is damaging to the people of his country. He said he relayed this to his Bahamian counterpart Darren Henfield during a meeting yesterday, urging him to resolve the issue as quickly as possible. SEE PAGE FIVE
8 AM SUN
Nassau
UNION DELAYS CHALLENGE TO STRIKE ORDER
By RASHAD ROLLE Tribune Staff Reporter rrolle@tribunemedia.net
8 AM SAT
8 AM TUE
Pack hangout pages 8 & 9
HAITIANS HURT BY MOVE TO SUSPEND VISAS
8 PM WED 8 AM WED 8 AM MON
Page 11
Swing with Sinatra
A new era for historic Rat
Grand Bahama and Abaco in line of fire of 156mph storm
TALENT SEARCH
SHAUNAE Miller-Uibo reacts after winning the women’s 200m race during the Weltklasse IAAF Diamond League international athletics meeting in Zurich, Switzerland, yesterday. See Sports for the full story. Photo: Ennio Leanza/Keystone via AP
TEEN IN BREANNA KILLING GOES FREE By NICO SCAVELLA Tribune Staff Reporter nscavella@tribunemedia.net
AN 18-year-old woman who admitting to taking part in the carnage that led to teenage mother Breanna Mackey’s death last year is now a free woman. The teenager, whose name has been withheld because she was charged as a minor, was sentenced to two years in prison yesterday pursuant to a plea
BREANNA MACKEY agreement she reached with the Crown. The sentence was ordered to run from the date of her
incarceration, January 25, 2018. However, because prison terms are not calculated on a full calendar year, her time expired on May 25 of this year. Prior to being sentenced/ released, the woman, who turned 18 on August 21, pleaded not guilty to murder, but guilty to causing grievous harm to Mackey on January 25, 2018. SEE PAGE SEVEN
Nassau & Bahama Islands’ Leading Newspaper
DEFICIT HITS LOWEST FOR LAST DECADE
By NATARIO MCKENZIE Tribune Business Reporter nmckenzie@tribunemedia.net
FINANCE Minister K Peter Turnquest yesterday touted that “for the first time in a long time” the government has met its deficit target, having recorded a deficit of $222.4m for fiscal year 2018/2019. According to the Ministry of Finance, the deficit is equal to 1.7 percent of GDP. SEE BUSINESS SECTION
BRINGING LIGHT TO CHILDREN IN DARKNESS
SEE PAGE TEN