08262019 NEWS

Page 1

MONDAY i’m lovin’ it!

HIGH 88ºF LOW 79ºF

The Tribune Established 1903

24/7 BREAKING NEWS ON TRIBUNE242.COM

Biggest And Best!

VOLUME:116 No.167, AUGUST 26TH, 2019

HO US E & 12 THE PEOPLE’S PAPER: $1

SPORTS: SPEEDY KO LEAVES SANDMAN UNDEFEATED PAGES

STRIKE WISHLIST

Doctors’ demands include duty-free car and no property tax By TANEKA THOMPSON Tribune News Editor tmthompson@tribunemedia.net JUNIOR doctors have asked for real property tax exemptions, Crown land for the construction of an office, duty-free exemptions on car imports or the construction of a paid parking lot at Princess Margaret Hospital with the proceeds to be split between the government and the Bahamas Doctors Union. The demands are set out in a document sent by BDU to the government last week, which itemises issues the union wants discussed when it meets with Prime Minister Dr Hubert Minnis, Public Hospitals Authority officials and labour representatives today. This comes as junior doctors continue their strike and public healthcare services remain limited to emergency treatment only.

Among seven items on BDU’s agenda for discussion, the union said a timeline and agreement on one of the following demands must be signed off on. The BDU document states: “Identify one nonmonetary compensation option as proposed in our communique to on March 7, 2019: Increase the current health insurance benefits of junior doctors to that on par with that of police officers, immigration officers. Construct a paid parking facility on the hospital grounds for public use. “The profits are to be shared equally between the government of The Bahamas and the BDU, after construction costs are met. The profits from the venture will be paid out equally to all BDU members in perpetuity.”

By AVA TURNQUEST Tribune Chief Reporter aturnquest@tribunemedia.net

TWO DEAD IN ‘OUT OF CONTROL’ VIOLENCE

SEE PAGE FOUR

doctors’ strike has put a massive strain on senior doctors. “We indicated to the minister that as old people, senior physicians, because many of us are in our late 50s and early 60s, the burden that is being placed on us is not bearable at all and this has been going for nearly a week. We are asking that he bring this situation to a resolution or one that is satisfying to everybody,” he said. SEE PAGE FOUR

JEAN RONY FILES SUIT NEXT PRIVY COUNCIL BAHAMAS-born deportee Jean Rony Jean-Charles has filed his appeal to the Privy Council, arguing to the country’s top court that his constitutional rights were breached notwithstanding purported procedural issues. Mr Jean-Charles is challenging the Court of Appeal’s revocation of a landmark decision concerning his controversial detention and removal from The Bahamas in 2017. The notice of appeal was served on the government on Friday. It represents the final fight in Mr Jean-Charles’ legal battles concerning his expulsion from The Bahamas to Haiti on November 24, 2017, after being detained from September 17 of that year, and Supreme Court Justice SEE PAGE 11

SENIOR MEDICS BEG SANDS ‘END IT NOW’ By RASHAD ROLLE Tribune Staff Reporter rrolle@tribunemedia.net SENIOR doctors pleaded with Health Minister Dr Duane Sands during a hastily arranged meeting last night to quickly resolve its dispute with junior doctors because of what the group’s leader called an “unprecedented crisis” at public healthcare facilities. Dr Locksley Munroe, head of the Consultant Physician Staff Association, which represents senior doctors, said the junior

HOME

SOL’S SPECIAL DAY SIR Sol Kerzner celebrating his 84th birthday at the Four Seasons Ocean Club on Paradise Island on Friday night. See page two for the full story.

FINGERS CROSSED WE’LL BE OKAY By AVA TURNQUEST Tribune Chief Reporter aturnquest@tribunemedia.net

NEWLY formed Tropical Storm Dorian is projected to have no significant impact on The Bahamas, according to forecasters. Alyson Hoegg, a meteorologist with Accuweather, said the storm is still east of the Lesser Antilles but expected to move into the Caribbean Sea by midweek. SEE PAGE THREE

Nassau & Bahama Islands’ Leading Newspaper

By MORGAN ADDERLEY Tribune Staff Reporter madderley@tribunemedia.net

TWO men are dead following gun violence on two Family Islands this weekend. Both homicides took place on Saturday, with one occurring in Marsh Harbour, Abaco and the other in James Cistern, Eleuthera. These killings brought the total number of murders that occurred last week up to five. According to the Royal Bahamas Police Force, the first incident occurred shortly after 3am. SEE PAGE THREE

INSIGHT JUST WHY AREN’T WE ALL ON SOLAR POWER?


Turn static files into dynamic content formats.

Create a flipbook
Issuu converts static files into: digital portfolios, online yearbooks, online catalogs, digital photo albums and more. Sign up and create your flipbook.