08222019 NEWS

Page 1

THURSDAY i’m lovin’ it!

HIGH 86ºF LOW 78ºF

The Tribune Established 1903

24/7 BREAKING NEWS ON TRIBUNE242.COM

Biggest And Best!

OBITS

VOLUME:116 No.165, AUGUST 22ND, 2019

THE PEOPLE’S PAPER:$1

OFFICIA

CLASSIFIED TRADER: CARS, CARS, CARS & MORE CARS

INSIDE

L SOUR CE

EMERGENCY ONLY Man shot dead by lone gunman

Doctors’ patience runs out as they launch snap strike By AVA TURNQUEST and FARRAH JOHNSON Tribune Staff Reporters aturnquest@tribunemedia.net FED up with a lack of a resolution over longstanding disputes, more than 400 junior doctors went on strike yesterday forcing the nation’s public healthcare system into “emergency mode”. Of that number, approximately 200 physicians were on call throughout the country’s network and were resolved to only work on emergency cases, according to Bahamas Doctors Union President Dr Melisande Bassett.

The BDU was called to the Office of Prime Minister Dr Hubert Minnis for an impromptu meeting around 3.30pm in the hope of deescalating tensions and bring both sides back to the table, The Tribune was told. Labour Minister Dion Foulkes said the meeting was very productive, with a clear path outlined for negotiations chaired by Labour Director John Pinder to resume at the Department of Labour next week. However, up to press time it was not clear whether the union would end its strike. SEE PAGE THREE

GOMEZ: I’LL HIT BPL WITH CLASS ACTION By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net

accepting poor service and high costs from their utility providers. Disclosing that he had A FORMER Cabinet already obtained the backminister yesterday said he is ing of the hotel pursuing a class union, the largaction lawsuit est private over Bahamas sector union, Power & Light’s for his legal (BPL) outages, bid to secure and warned: compensation “This is a for Bahamian straight-up conconsumers and sumer war.” businesses over Damian BPL’s daily load Gomez, minshedding and ister of state blackouts, Mr for legal affairs Gomez said he DAMIAN GOMEZ under the was “fairly conChristie adminfident” such an istration, told Tribune action could be filed within Business that Bahamians the next three weeks. needed to stand up for their rights and stop passively FULL STORY - SEE BUSINESS

A BODY is taken from the scene in Martins Close last night after a fatal shooting. A YOUNG man was shot dead last night as he sat on a stairway. Police reported that the shooting took place at about 10pm at Martins

Close off Cowpen Road. Gunshots were heard in the area and police received reports that someone had been shot.

Photo: Terrel W Carey Sr/Tribune Staff On arriving at the scene, they found the body of the victim. SEE PAGE FIVE

‘WE HAVE TO CHECK VISAS FOR HAITIANS TURIN 2 EVIDENCE’ SUSPENDED BY GOVT By MORGAN ADDERLEY Tribune Staff Reporter madderley@tribunemedia.net FOREIGN Affairs Minister Darren Henfield yesterday said the government’s independent probe into the mysterious deaths of two Bahamian men in Italy was launched to ensure it has done all it “possibly can” to attain satisfactory answers regarding this tragedy. Mr Henfield added as far as he is aware, the government has not yet received the toxicology reports of

both men - sentiments previously echoed by the mother of one of the victims. On August 7, Attorney General Carl Bethel announced the Minnis administration’s independent investigation, noting the government is determined to leave “no stone unturned in finding out the truth of what happened” to Alrae Ramsey, 29, and Blair John, 28, whose bodies were found in the Po River in Turin on June 4 and 5 respectively. SEE PAGE FIVE

By RASHAD ROLLE Tribune Staff Reporter rrolle@tribunemedia.net THE Ministry of Foreign Affairs has suspended issuing visas to Haitians until further notice. In a short statement yesterday, the government said this is due to “current technical and other challenges”, but did not elaborate. The suspension does not include nationals who are officials, diplomats or holders of a US, UK, Canadian or Schengen visa, the government said.

This action comes days after Haiti’s Foreign Affairs Minister Bocchit Edmond said a corruption probe revealed “unacceptable situations” and “wrongdoing” at Haiti’s local embassy. However, Foreign Affairs Minister Darren Henfield told The Tribune yesterday the suspension of visas is not connected to that. He said his ministry discovered issues on its own after reviewing how visas are issued. He said he hopes the matter can be resolved as SEE PAGE FIVE

ELDERLY’S PLIGHT WHEN POWER GOES OFF By RIEL MAJOR Tribune Staff Reporter rmajor@tribunemedia.net PAT’S Senior Citizens Home has lost medication, food, four air-conditioning units and three electronic beds due to daily load shedding exercises by Bahamas Power and Light. The assisted living facility has also had to invest in a generator and hire more staff to cope with the struggles of operating with

PLP leader Philip ‘Brave’ Davis at Pat’s Senior Citizens Home. frequent power outages. Patricia Moxey, the home’s director, revealed the losses after a media

tour of the facility led by Progressive Liberal Party Leader Philip “Brave” Davis. The PLP organised the tour to evaluate the impact of the “missteps of BPL” amid reoccurring power cuts. Mrs Moxey said: “As you saw when you did the tour, some of our residents are on oxygen so the machine goes 24/7 so when the electricity goes off we have to run and SEE PAGE NINE

Nassau & Bahama Islands’ Leading Newspaper

A LITTLE DIAMOND IN THE ROUGH

BUSINESS BITES - PAGE TEN


Turn static files into dynamic content formats.

Create a flipbook
Issuu converts static files into: digital portfolios, online yearbooks, online catalogs, digital photo albums and more. Sign up and create your flipbook.