WEDNESDAY i’m lovin’ it!
HIGH 88ºF LOW 76ºF
The Tribune Established 1903
24/7 BREAKING NEWS ON TRIBUNE242.COM
Biggest And Best!
VOLUME:116 No.164, AUGUST 21ST, 2019
THE PEOPLE’S PAPER: $1
BACK TO SCHOOL: 14-PAGE SUPPLEMENT INSIDE
They came to kill
Families mourn best friends shot dead by gunmen By MORGAN ADDERLEY Tribune Staff Reporter madderley@tribunemedia.net RELATIVES of two best friends gunned down at their Pinewood home yesterday described the horror of the attack which has devastated their families. In interviews with The Tribune yesterday, Davaughnia Adderley, 19, and her mother Elizabeth Gordon, described how a game of dominoes on the porch turned into a horrific nightmare. The incident unfurled shortly before 11pm. According to police, a group of men were sitting in a yard on Maple Street, Pinewood Gardens, when they were approached by three armed man who
A DIFFERENT WAY OF EDUCATING CHILDREN
SEE PAGE EIGHT
POLICEMAN ACCUSED OF RAPING GIRL
opened fired in their direction, injuring two of them and a woman, who was inside the home, before running away. The two men were pronounced dead at the scene while the woman was taken to hospital and is in stable condition. The victims have been identified as 23-year-old Dion Adderley and his best friend Dimetrius Dormeus, 22. The woman victim, 20, was shot in both thighs. She is one of Adderley’s relatives. Adderley’s mother, Ms Gordon, described her son as an “amazing person”. “He was innocent, and (they) just take his life just like it was like nothing,” she told The Tribune through tears. SEE PAGE THREE
By NICO SCAVELLA Tribune Staff Reporter nscavella@tribunemedia.net A TEENAGE girl was allegedly raped by a former police reservist at a southern New Providence police station a year ago, jurors heard yesterday. Superintendent Roberto Goodman said the 13-yearold girl was at the East Street South Police Station for “safe keeping” on July 14, 2018 when Dwayne Decosta allegedly committed the act. Supt Goodman said it was “peculiar” for Decosta to have been alone with the girl in the station as normally minors would sit in the station’s foyer until officers could contact their parents or guardians.
FIRE-DAMAGED SCHOOL NOT READY FOR TERM By RIEL MAJOR Tribune Staff Reporter rmajor@tribunemedia.net EDUCATION Minister Jeff Lloyd said the repairs to the Huntley P Christie High in North Andros won’t be completed before public schools reopen in two weeks. The school was damaged by fire two months ago. Speaking to reporters at Cabinet yesterday, Mr Lloyd said fortunately most of the work has been completed on the outside and repairs are being made to the inside. He said: “You have two classrooms that were
completely damaged so that’s on the way, but it’s not going to be ready. “You would remember in North Andros the technical block has not been ready for years, that’s going to be ready. It’ll be ready by next month...but the section that had been damaged that’s going to take a while because it has to be reconstructed.” When asked for the price tag of the renovations of the classrooms, Mr Lloyd said: “It’s not fully scoped out yet because we’ve been working on that technical block to try to get that ready.” SEE PAGE TEN
SEE PAGE FIVE
MURDER SUSPECT ‘BEATEN’
By NICO SCAVELLA Tribune Staff Reporter nscavella@tribunemedia.net
DIMETRIUS DORMEUS, left, and Dion Adderley, who were shot dead on Monday.
FLOATING PLANT IDEA RESURFACES By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net
A FLOATING power plant solution to New Providence’s energy crisis has been “dusted off”, with its advocates telling the government yesterday: “Send us a signal if you’re interested.” John Bostwick II, who acted as legal adviser to the group that first proposed such a plan in 2012,
told Tribune Business that the frequency and severity of power outages “most definitely calls” for such a scheme to be re-floated. The former FNM senator added that while no formal proposal had been made to the government, he intends to determine if there is any interest from the Minnis administration in reviving an offer that was submitted three times to its predecessor between 2012 and 2014.
“I am at least going to ask the question: Are you interested?” Mr Bostwick confirmed to this newspaper. “I think most definitely the situation calls for the re-emergence of the Floating Power Plant idea, and I really don’t know if there’s anything similar that could be such a holistic or complete solution, if only on a temporary basis.” FULL STORY - SEE BUSINESS
Nassau & Bahama Islands’ Leading Newspaper
A 22-YEAR-OLD man accused of murdering Transport Minister Renward Wells’ younger brother has claimed he was beaten by police to confess to the crime. Lynden Williams, also known as “Peanut” of Ridgeland Park, said he was suffocated with plastic bags and kicked about the body by two officers to confess to murdering Cabreo Wells on Sunday, August 4. SEE PAGE SEVEN
TRIBUNE TECH: NASA OFFICIAL GETS LOOK AT NEXT MOON ROCKET
SEE PAGE NINE