business@tribunemedia.net
WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 21, 2019
$4.74 Ex-senator: Put $20m job spend to solar loans By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net A FORMER FNM senator yesterday urged the government to make Bahamians “energy producers” by redirecting its $20m annual job allocation to solar loans. John Bostwick II told Tribune Business that true “liberalisation of the energy sector” would allow Bahamian businesses and consumers to “get OUT”, with the latter word standing for the country’s motto of “onwards, upwards, together”. Describing The Bahamas as “the world’s solar capital”, he said its energy future lay in the government incentivising the adoption of this renewable energy form by providing low-interest, guaranteed loans to purchase the necessary equipment. Mr Bostwick said Power Secure, Bahamas Power & Light’s (BPL) former manager, had got it wrong by suggesting New Providence lacks sufficient vacant land to facilitate the development of utility-scale solar energy. Instead, he argued that rooftop space on homes and businesses will more than compensate for the lack of vacant land, and added: “It’s very much in out interests to be the world’s leader on renewable energy.” Branding solar energy as “the long-term solution” for The Bahamas, Mr Bostwick told Tribune Business: “It’s the liberalisation of the energy sector to allow every Bahamian- and it’s important for me to get this out - to get onwards, upwards together; the ‘get out’. “We need to be put in a position that any capable homeowner and business owner is incentivised to the extent of no interest, government guaranteed loans. No more $20m job incentive programmes. “Put all that directly into a solar incentive programme allowing me to borrow $25,000-$30,000 to get off the grid, put solar panels on the roof and car port, and bring in the storage batteries to allow me to become an energy producer not consumer.” Mr Bostwick added that Bahamians would move from being energy dependent to an actual asset if the government passed net metering or billing legislation, and allowed homeowners and businesses to sell excess energy stored in their batteries back to the grid. “There’s studies showing that with solarisation of 75-80 percent of roof tops in New Providence you effectively power the grid that way,” he said. “If we take that philosophy and
SEE PAGE 5
$4.74
$4.76
BPL’s energy crisis ‘refloats’ prior offer By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net
A
FLOATING Power Plant solution to New Providence’s energy crisis has been “dusted off”, with its advocates telling the government yesterday: “Send us a signal if you’re interested.” John Bostwick II, pictured, who acted as legal adviser to the group that first proposed such a plan in 2012, told Tribune Business that the frequency and severity of power outages “most definitely calls” for such a scheme to be re-floated. The former FNM Senator added that while no formal proposal had been made to the government, he intends to determine if there is any interest from
the Minnis administration in reviving an offer that was submitted three times to its predecessor between 2012 and 2014. “I am at least going to ask the question: Are you
AN OUTSPOKEN QC yesterday said a recent Court of Appeal ruling has “sounded the death knell” for public interest legal challenges to major Family Island developments. Fred Smith QC, the Callenders & Co attorney and partner, argued that the decision to uphold a $250,000 “security for costs” payment in the fight over the Abaco Club’s proposed Little Harbour marina threatens to undermine the ability of Out Island communities to “stand up for their rights”.
FRED SMITH QC
Tribune Business Reporter
nmckenzie@tribunemedia.net
SEE PAGE 4
SEE PAGE 2
SEE PAGE 3
• Says now harder to ‘stand up for local rights’ • Appeal Court upholds $250k ‘security for costs’ • Adds that Little Harbour JR ‘unlikely to succeed While he and his client, Responsible Development for Abaco (RDA), determine whether to appeal the latest verdict, Mr Smith accused the government of “doing a disservice to your own people by depriving them of their day in court” through teaming with developers to create “procedural” hurdles to Judicial Review challenges. Sir Michael Barnett, who wrote the unanimous verdict backed
By NATARIO MCKENZIE
by his two fellow Court of Appeal judges, conceded that there was “a public interest element in it”. Yet he found that was unable to “immunise” RDA’s action from providing “security for costs” as this would mean its litigation would be risk-free. “The applicant [RDA] is a non-profit company which relies upon donations from third persons,” Sir Michael
persons in Cabinet when we sat at different tables. We are hoping that there would be further interest in the same expressed by the Government of The Bahamas so that they’d [the group] be comfortable they are not wasting time and money again. Knowing and watching what the government is doing, it’s hard to convince interested parties.” Mr Bostwick represented the SGI Global Holdings consortium over its $250m proposal to moor two barge-based power plants at Arawak Cay when the Christie administration was in office.
QC: ‘Death knell sounds’ for public interest actions By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net
Minister open to meet Compass Point’s owner A CABINET minister yesterday said that while he is open to meeting with Compass Point’s owner over his concerns, they need to be addressed in a wider discussion with the private sector. Dionisio D’Aguilar, minister of tourism and aviation, indicated his position has softened slightly by signalling a willingness to meet Leigh Rodney along with other resort sector stakeholders given that the issues raised affect everyone “industry wide”. Speaking before yesterday’s Cabinet meeting, Mr D’Aguilar said: “He is insistent on having a meeting and, as a businessman, if you are that insistent on having a meeting I will certainly afford you another meeting if you are so minded. “There are certain conditions he is imposing on the meeting. We are working through those to allow that meeting to happen. However, as a government minister I don’t want to be dealing with a single operator. Some of his complaints and issues with the ease of doing business are industry-wide.” Mr D’Aguilar added: “Government has to be widely consultative. I’m encouraging him to come as part of The Bahamas Hotel and Tourism Association and the Bahamas Chamber of Commerce. “These are private sector organisations that have this concern. I don’t want to limit myself to having a discussions with one operator; it should come as part of a body that will ensure that those persons are in the room when we have the meeting.” Mr Rodney earlier this month placed an advert in The Tribune threatening to close Compass Point on the
• Floating Power Plant proposal ‘dusted off’ • Govt told: Let us know if you’re interested • Ex-Senator: ‘I’m going to ask the question’ interested?” Mr Bostwick confirmed to this newspaper. “I think most definitely the situation calls for the re-emergence of the Floating Power Plant idea, and I really don’t know if there’s anything similar that could be such a holistic or complete solution, if only on a temporary basis.” Asked if the Floating Power Plant proposal had been formally submitted, he replied: “The straight answer to that is: No. We have dusted off the plan, yes, but have not formally re-presented it to this government although members of this administration are purportedly aware of it. “I personally gave it to
$4.79
Minimum wage can’t be raised ‘in vacuum’ By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net THE minimum wage cannot be increased “in a vacuum”, the Chamber of Commerce’s chief executive warned yesterday, with the “ramifications” for the private sector requiring careful study. Jeffrey Beckles told Tribune Business that The Bahamas needed to move away from analysing such moves “in isolation”, and instead adopt a more holistic approach where the interests and concerns of all affected parties were addressed. Pointing out that “timing” was often key in determining the extent of any initiative that results in increased business costs, Mr Beckles said many in the
• Beckles: ‘Ramifications’ for all must be assessed • Businesses already ‘struggling’ in harsh climate
JEFFREY BECKLES private sector - especially small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) were “finding it very difficult to survive” in an environment where daily power outages were only exacerbating difficulties.
He added that a “good example” of “arbitrary” decision-making would be the fall-out from any public sector wage increase, since the government would inevitably have to fall back on a taxpayer community already complaining it is “over-taxed” to finance this. Responding to trade union calls for the minimum wage to be increased to between $250-$300 per week, up from the present $210, Mr Beckles told this newspaper: “Firstly, timing is everything. “I don’t think the issue is whether the minimum wage ought to be increased. The issue is timing, and we can’t have this conversation in
a vacuum. We’ve seen the results of decisions made without considering the ramifications. I think everyone agrees we have to get out of that mode, sit down, table the issues and talk with the stakeholders and financial analysts.” Mr Beckles, arguing that the projected impact of any minimum wage rise needed to first be established for the private sector, workers, trade unions and the wider economy, continued: “We can’t do it in isolation. “Bear in mind that the same [business] community is finding it very difficult to survive in the environment we’re in now. That has nothing to do with whether the
minimum wage is increased or not. We’re in a very challenging time. “We have to dot the ‘i’s’, cross the ‘t’s’m, fact check and make sure it’s palatable,” he added. “If it’s agreed that the minimum wage is to be raised, where is the government going to come to pay that difference? “They’re coming back to you and me for that money. Bahamians are already screaming about being taxed and over-taxed. That’s a good example of why you can’t arbitrarily raise the minimum wage. “You have to consider the small and medium-sized businesses of the country that are already struggling. It’s not about whether we agree or disagree. We have to assess the impact across
SEE PAGE 4