MONDAY TUESDAY i’m lovin’ it!
HIGH 88ºF LOW 79ºF
The Tribune Established 1903
24/7 BREAKING NEWS ON TRIBUNE242.COM
Biggest And Best!
VOLUME:116 No.163, AUGUST 20TH, 2019
HO US E & 16 THE PEOPLE’S PAPER: $1
HEALTH: AFRICAN ANCESTRY LINK TO MEN’S CANCER PAGES
‘BPL’s neglect will be fixed’
Minnis surprise at real condition of ageing power plant By RASHAD ROLLE Tribune Staff Reporter rrolle@tribunemedia.net PRIME Minister Dr Hubert Minnis said Bahamas Power and Light’s woes constitute an “emergency situation” and blamed this on “more than 20 years of neglect”. Former Deputy Prime Minister Frank Watson, who had responsibility for the Bahamas Electricity Corporation during the second Ingraham administration, challenged that characterisation yesterday,
SEE PAGE TEN
US TRIO GIVE UP $27K TO WALK FREE THREE Americans were spared a criminal conviction yesterday despite admitting to making a false declaration concerning $27,000 in cash when they tried to leave the country on the weekend. However, Senior Magistrate Carolyn Vogt-Evans ordered that the $27,136 Kerrville, Texas natives Garrett Keiser, Allison Mobley and Victoria Morris had in their possession be forfeited to the Crown. SEE PAGE TWO
insisting the problem has never been nearly as bad as it is now. Dr Minnis toured BPL’s Baillou and Clifton Pier plants on Sunday and expressed surprise yesterday at the dated, decaying equipment he observed. He also pledged the government will use all of its resources to fix the power generation problems. “I was not cognizant of the challenges,” Dr Minnis told reporters while touring the University of The Bahamas. SEE PAGE FIVE
Lloyd said interruptions in energy - as the prime minister has indicated - is a crisis and a deep concern to everybody. He said education officials may have to seek alternative arrangements for some schools in light of the constant load shedding. “We are just going to have to manage it,” said Mr Lloyd. SEE PAGE FIVE
PETER YOUNG: THE GROWTH OF THE NANNY STATE
By NICO SCAVELLA Tribune Staff Reporter nscavella@tribunemedia.net
‘SCHOOLS WILL JUST HAVE TO MANAGE’ By RIEL MAJOR Tribune Staff Reporter rmajor@tribunemedia.net THE frequent power cuts carried out by Bahamas Power and Light can have a “negative effect” on schools once they reopen in a few weeks, according to Minister of Education Jeff Lloyd. Speaking to reporters at a Ministry of Education conclave yesterday, Mr
HOME
TAREA’S TRIUMPH MEET your new Miss Bahamas Universe: Tarea Sturrup. Representing Grand Bahama, Tarea beat out her fellow ten contestants to be crowned queen at the Atlantis Theatre on Sunday night. She will compete at the 68th edition of the international Miss Universe pageant in December. The current Miss Universe, Catriona Gray of the Philippines, will crown her successor at the event. Photo: Keval Williams Photography
SANDS’ PLAN FOR MAJOR NEW HOSPITAL By AVA TURNQUEST Tribune Chief Reporter aturnquest@tribunemedia.net HEALTH Minister Dr Duane Sands is eyeing a multi-million dollar transformation for public health that would see the government embark on a public-private partnership to lease-to-own new health facilities over a 20-year period. Officials say it is just one of many proposals
AN ARTIST’s impression of the proposed project. submitted to the government as it seeks to upgrade and optimise local
healthcare services. However, The Tribune understands a proposal from Medistar Corp, a leading medical real estate development firm, has become the front-runner. Previously, Dr Sands had said he was in discussions with leading US health provider Johns Hopkins from which a number of senior executives had toured several facilities in Nassau.
Nassau & Bahama Islands’ Leading Newspaper
SEE PAGE THREE
POACHERS THREAT TO ECONOMY By DENISE MAYCOCK Tribune Freeport Reporter dmaycock@tribunemedia.net MINISTER of Agriculture and Marine Resources Michael Pintard expects to meet with officials in the Dominican Republic in a matter of weeks to address the serious issue of illegal poaching by Dominicans in Bahamian waters. He stressed illegal poaching is a “massive concern” and that efforts are underway to determine its impact on the national economy on an annual basis. SEE PAGE SIX
TWO DEAD IN MIDNIGHT ATTACK TWO men were reported dead last night in an attack that took place at about midnight. The incident took place at Maple Street in the Pinewood Gardens area. Police were still on the scene as The Tribune was going to press. The deaths take this year’s homicide count up to 57, according to Tribune records.