08202019 BUSINESS

Page 1

business@tribunemedia.net

TUESDAY, AUGUST 20, 2019

$4.80 Sky employees ‘must do what they have to do’ By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net SKY Bahamas’ principal yesterday said the airline’s staff “have to do what they have to do”, with its near-two month grounding pushing him towards legal action against industry regulator. Captain Randy Butler told Tribune Business he would seek to bring “some relief” to staff who have been unpaid since July 15, after a group of employees were said to have filed a trade dispute with the Department of Labour seeking what Sky Bahamas owes to them. Confirming that the debt is owed, Captain Butler said he was simply unable to pay staff salaries or any other regular operating expenses due to the Bahamas Civil Aviation Authority (BCAA) ordering that Sky Bahamas cease commercial flights from July 8 due to issues over its Air Operator Certificate (AOC). “The fact is I haven’t paid them and I have to pay them,” he told Tribune Business. “The fact is that pay day came on July 15 and we were grounded on July 8. That basically stopped our operation and dried up the funding we had. “We had to finance alternative flights for people who were booked to travel with us, we had to deal with charter companies, and I had to use my personal credit card to keep the business going at that time. That was important, because if we kept going I could pay the people. “The staff have been a really good group of people, and most of them I’d like to continue to work with, but these people have to do what they have to do and I hope to get some relief to them before anything else comes up.” Sky Bahamas’ travails could likely not have occurred at a worse time for many of the 63 staff employed when it was grounded due to the rapid approach of Back-to-School expenses. Tribune Business sources revealed several employees have attempted to access their pension fund monies - so far without success. Captain Butler, meanwhile, told Tribune Business he still had “access to my office” despite the posting of a notice over the weekend that said Sky Bahamas had been evicted

SEE PAGE 5

$4.95

$4.74

‘No abandonment’ of joining the WTO By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net

T

HE government was yesterday said to have told private sector executives it has “not abandoned the policy of acceding” to full membership in the World Trade Organisation (WTO). Darron Pickstock, who heads the Chamber of Commerce’s trade and investment division, told Tribune Business that Elsworth Johnson, the newly-appointed minister with responsibility for overseeing the WTO accession process, had informed the businesses community that the government had temporarily paused to “assess where we are”. He added that the minister of financial services, trade and industry and Immigration had also confirmed recently to chamber executives that the government was planning to “ramp up” WTO-related education efforts targeted

• Govt ‘assessing where we are’ • And seeking to ‘ramp up’ education • Urged not to leave accession ‘open ended’ at both the private sector and wider society. Mr Johnson last month confirmed that the June 2020 accession target for The Bahamas was “purely aspirational”, and not set in stone, and Mr Pickstock yesterday agreed that it would have been “a Herculean task” to meet that timeline given the amount of outstanding preparation work this nation needs to complete. However, he suggested that The Bahamas should set a new date for concluding the process as leaving it “open ended” threatened a loss of momentum on reforms that were critical to improving this nation’s economic competitiveness regardless of whether it became a full WTO member or not.

SEE PAGE 3

DARRON S PICKSTOCK

BPL crisis ‘torturous’ for key retail season By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net BACK-TO-SCHOOL retailers face being stuck with excess inventory, and lost sales opportunities, as a result of Nassau’s energy crisis, the Chamber of Commerce’s top executive warned yesterday. Jeffrey Beckles told Tribune Business that Bahamas Power & Light’s (BPL) ongoing woes are disrupting the second busiest shopping season of the year for many retailers, with the corresponding drop in sales and profits leaving many with reduced financial resources to carry them through the quieter months until Christmas. Revealing that the chamber had yesterday made several proposals to the government on how it could tackle BPL’s immediate generation shortfall, Mr Beckles said the private sector was desperately

• Inventory, sales loss fear on Back-to-School • Chamber chief brands situation ‘treacherous’ • Private sector needs ‘hope it can hold on to’

JEFFREY BECKLES seeking “any signs of hope they can hold on to” that the frequent threefour hour load shedding and blackouts will soon becomes history. He described the situation as “treacherous” for many in the business community, especially those lacking back-up generator

power supply, and said consumers as well as businesses needed to know that BPL will be able to maintain its existing assets until the 132 megawatts (MW) in new generation capacity comes online. “Nothing else matters right now,” Mr Beckles told this newspaper of BPL’s woes. “The business community is taking it on the chin. The truth of the matter is it’s very hard. It’s very challenging for many businesses on all levels. “It’s really been torturous for the business community, and the business community right now is looking for any sign of positive hope that they can hold on to. It’s not only lost revenue and damaged equipment; it’s also lost opportunity. It’s

been treacherous for us. It’s across the board; whether you’re a shoemaker, renting out to Airbnb guests or a clothing store.” The chamber chief executive added that the power outages, which are longer and more frequent than they have ever been, could not have occurred at a worse time for clothing and footwear retailers, plus the likes of seamstresses and shoe repairers, all of whom rely heavily on the current Backto-School shopping season. “It’s impacting all of us at Back-to-School time when inventory is high, sales expectations are very high, but you cannot run your business,” Mr Beckles told Tribune Business.

SEE PAGE 4

$4.79

GARRY SINCLAIR

BTC and unions ‘in much better situation today’ By NATARIO MCKENZIE

Tribune Business Reporter

nmckenzie@tribunemedia.net THE Bahamas Telecommunications Company’s (BTC) relationship with its two trade unions is “in a much more progressive place today” than it was a fortnight ago, its chief executive asserted yesterday. Garfield “Garry” Sinclair, speaking on the sidelines of an education conclave, said the carrier was now in “a positive place” with the Bahamas Communications and Public Officers Union (BCPOU) and Bahamas Communications and Public Managers Union (BCPMU) following “all the heat and light” that has occurred in recent weeks. He added that BTC had finally obtained both unions’ “sign-off” on the latest employee voluntary separation (VSEP) exercise that the company has just launched, and said he would be “communicating relentlessly” with the worker representatives to cement stronger ties with the carrier. “One of the things I am determined to do is forge a real partnership with our unions,” Mr Sinclair said. “I want to change the narrative around unions and union representation completely. I want to prove that, working with unions, we can make our business the best operator in the region, the best in class. That’s not the narrative today. “I have assured my unions and, frankly, they have agreed that we can work together to change that narrative and prove to my competitors - who are not unionised - that working with unions can make you the best operator and is not a detractor. I have had a bit of a challenge in getting that message through. We have had our differences of opinion. We are going through a transformation. It’s fraught with risk and anxiety, as are most transformations.” Mr Sinclair continued: “After all of the heat and

SEE PAGE 5

Cable ‘faced dark future’ without $333M US sale By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net

CABLE Bahamas was “staring a very dark future in the face” until it stunned the capital markets by revealing its $332.5m US exit, a prominent businessman said yesterday. Sir Franklyn Wilson, who first made public his concerns about the BISX-listed communications provider’s financial health three years ago, told Tribune Business that the returns from selling its Summit Broadband unit were “truly, truly amazing”. Arguing that there was “legitimate concern” over Cable Bahamas’ future prior to the deal’s announcement, Sir Franklyn said this highlighted why the company’s move is “so significant”. He added that “nowhere in this world did I ever dream” such proceeds would be realised from

• Sir Franklyn: Deal ‘truly, truly amazing’ • ‘Nowhere did I ever dream’ of this price • Debt, losses gave ‘lot to be worried about’ selling the Florida business, and suggested that even Cable Bahamas’ Board and management were “themselves pleasantly surprised” at securing a purchase price almost three-and-a-half times the $100m paid for the four entities that were amalgamated into Summit Broadband. “Isn’t that a huge deal for Cable Bahamas?” Sir Franklyn said. “This is truly, truly amazing. Truly, truly amazing. The first factor is that the sales price is $333m. That doesn’t happen in The Bahamas involving a Bahamian company as the lead investor. That’s not a common occurrence.” SIR FRANKLYN WILSON

SEE PAGE 4


Turn static files into dynamic content formats.

Create a flipbook
Issuu converts static files into: digital portfolios, online yearbooks, online catalogs, digital photo albums and more. Sign up and create your flipbook.