FRIDAY i’m lovin’ it!
HIGH 90ºF LOW 81ºF
The Tribune
Volume:116 No.161, AUGUST 16TH, 2019
Established 1903
Weekend
WEEKEND: IT’S A WRAP FOR TODAY’S MEXICAN CUISINE
THEmusic PEOPLE’S PAPER: $1 food gardening
arts books film fashion
Weekend
Union demands ‘a fly in the ointment’ PUBLIC sector pay negotiations are a potential “fly in the ointment” that may cause the government to miss its 1 percent deficit target for 2019-2020, the deputy prime minister warned yesterday. Peter Turnquest told Tribune Business that the “active union negotiating season” represented an unknown “that can throw you out” in terms of fiscal projections depending on the salary arrangements agreed with public sector worker representatives. And, with global economic risks rising due to this week’s stock market
By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net
MOODY’S is predicting the government will overshoot its 2019-2020 deficit target by more than $82m and take longer than anticipated to produce the budget surplus it is seeking. The international credit rating agency has forecast that the deficit for this current fiscal year will come in at 1.6 percent of economic
FULL STORY - SEE BUSINESS
Taste of Mexico
A COMIC’S VIEW THE BEST WAY TO DEAL WITH THOSE LINE CUTTERS
SEE PAGE EIGHT
WORKER CRUSHED IN MIXER HUMAN negligence ultimately led to a 38-year-old man’s death last year when the cement mixing machine he tried to clean suddenly turned on and mangled his lower extremities, jurors heard yesterday. Sterling Minnis, a former mechanic at Block World, said someone “didn’t follow procedure” in ensuring the lever to the main power SEE PAGE SEVEN
HAITIAN EMBASSY: 5 MOVED
FULL STORY - SEE BUSINESS
output - a sum equivalent to $219.2m. This is $82m higher than the $137m worth of “red ink” projected when the Budget was unveiled in May, with the government then voicing its optimism that the deficit - which measures by how much government spending exceeds revenue - would hit the 1 percent of GDP demanded by the Fiscal Responsibility Act.
Page 14-15
By NICO SCAVELLA Tribune Staff Reporter nscavella@tribunemedia.net
sell-off and the continuing US-China trade war, Mr Turnquest said the Bahamian economy “could be a victim” of such forces. He pledged to update the Bahamian people should this nation’s fiscal and economic outlook change, but voiced optimism that the country was “still on track” to achieve the 1.8 percent economic expansion for 2019 projected by the International Monetary Fund (IMF) in its latest forecast. He added: “The other thing, as we look out to the horizon, is what’s happening globally with the US-China back and forth. We have to bear these things in mind.”
MOODY’S WARNS GOVT WILL MISS ITS TARGETS
2019
FIT WITH REGINA
Nassau says hola to new resta urant Pages 8-9
Turnquest’s worry on effect of public sector pay claims By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net
FRIDAY, AUGUST 16TH,
history puzzles
By AVA TURNQUEST Tribune Chief Reporter aturnquest@tribunemedia.net
DO I HAVE TO GO BACK TO SCHOOL, SIR? THE BAIN & Grants Town Urban Renewal Centre yesterday held a fun day and back to school giveaway. Report and more pictures - Page 2 Photo: Shawn Hanna/Tribune Staff
FORMER Haitian Embassy Chargé d’Affaires François Michel yesterday confirmed his replacement will be Dorval Darlier, former minister counselor to the Nassau Embassy. Mr Michel told The Tribune he has been transferred to Ecuador, a move that will take effect next week. He further revealed SEE PAGE THREE
RECORD YEAR - SEVEN MILLION VISITORS By RASHAD ROLLE Tribune Staff Reporter rrolle@tribunemedia.net
TOURISM Minister Dionisio D’Aguilar predicts that 2019 will feature a record-breaking seven million visitors coming to The Bahamas. His statement came during the opening night of the Free National Movement’s youth convention at the Melia resort yesterday. “If you pass me in the hallways of this convention
TOURISTS love The Bahamas. or conversely out on the streets of Freetown and you want to give me a new
nickname, may I suggest you say, ‘Hey one million more man!” A record 6.6 million foreign visitors came to The Bahamas last year. “Stopover visitor arrivals will achieve a new record in 2019,” Mr D’Aguilar said. “Cruise passenger arrivals will achieve a new record in 2019. Arrivals in New Providence will achieve a new record in 2019. Arrivals into the Family Islands will achieve a new record in 2019.” SEE PAGE FIVE
Nassau & Bahama Islands’ Leading Newspaper
DIANE PHILLIPS JEFFREY EPSTEIN: SOME PEOPLE ARE NEVER SATISFIED
SEE PAGE NINE