business@tribunemedia.net
WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 7TH, 2019
$4.80
$4.83
$4.83
Compass Point owner ‘completely out of line’ By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net
A
CABINET minister yesterday said he will “not be bullied” by the Compass Point owner’s threat to close the resort and put 60 Bahamians out of work, blasting: “He’s completely out of line.” Dionisio D’Aguilar, minister of tourism and aviation, told Tribune Business that Leigh Rodney needed to become “less confrontational” and stop using his employees as bargaining chips and leverage in his dealings with the government. He added that he did not necessarily consider Mr Rodney’s complaints over the hotel licensing process as “rationale”, and warned the US investor that as a non-Bahamian he “must
• Minister blasts closure threat to 60 Bahamian jobs • Warns US investor: ‘I won’t be bullied” • And tells him: ‘Remember you’re a guest here’
DIONISIO D’AGUILAR remember he is a guest in this country”. Responding to the Detroit businessman’s advertisement, published in yesterday’s Tribune, where he threatened to close
Compass Point on the next general election date if the government fails to implement the ease of doing business reforms he wants, Mr D’Aguilar said he had “admonished” Mr Rodney to instead “act prudently and judiciously”. While admitting his concern for Compass Point’s 60 staff and their families, the minister reiterated he is “not going to stand for” Mr Rodney’s conduct and said he was “sure the Bahamian people will understand why I’m taking the position I’m taking”. Mr D’Aguilar hit back after Mr Rodney alleged that the Minnis administration was
reneging on its promise to make doing business easier in The Bahamas, and that it had failed to act on his request to set up a committee - including himself - to make recommendations for improving existing laws and regulations. Mr Rodney added that current and past prime ministers, Dr Hubert Minnis and Hubert Ingraham, as well as Mr D’Aguilar were well aware of his concerns. He warned in his ad: “If the FNM wins the next election without acting upon the promise they made when they were elected two years ago, the Compass Point
SEE PAGE 2
$4.83
Inagua’s ‘viability’ at stake in latest Morton meeting By NATARIO MCKENZIE
Tribune Business Reporter
nmckenzie@tribunemedia.net A CABINET minister yesterday said resolving the Morton Salt dispute is “a top priority for the sake of all Inagua residents” with the warring parties due to meet tomorrow. Dion Foulkes, minister of labour, said the company’s management and line-staff union representing more than 100 workers will meet in their latest bid to conclude an industrial agreement acceptable to both parties. Speaking outside Cabinet, Mr Foulkes said: “I have been in discussion with both the management at Morton Salt and the union; both Mr Obie Ferguson, who is the lead negotiator for the union, and Mr Scott Nixon, who represents the management down in Inagua. We have agreed to have a meeting
DION FOULKES this coming Thursday. “We are very hopeful we can bring some resolution to the outstanding issues at Morton. Most of them revolve around economic issues in the contract. Morton Salt is the largest employer next to the government on Inagua. “We see it as a top priority for the government to get that settled for the sake of all the residents and the viability of Inagua in terms of full employment. We are
SEE PAGE 5
Ferry provider in Bimini BTC suffers $13.6m first half revenue fall deal ‘stolen from it’ • Carrier’s top-line down 11% to end-June By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net RESORTS World Bimini has this week switched the location and provider of its Florida-based ferry service, selecting an operator that previously claimed the deal was “stolen” from it. The resort, owned by the Malaysian conglomerate, Genting, has swapped FRS Caribbean for Balearia Caribbean with effect from Monday. The change means that the regular sailing from Florida to Bimini is also moving from Miami to Fort Lauderdale’s Port Everglades, with the new service set to begin this week. A notice on FRS Caribbean’s website said: “FRS Caribbean has stopped its service on the route Miami to Bimini with effect from August 5, 2019. The service will be provided by Balearia Caribbean. The vessel will depart from Port Everglades. “Customers with existing reservations will be offered the option to travel from Port Everglades or to cancel/refund their reservation. Passengers affected will be contacted. If you booking was made through a travel agent or third party vendor, please reach out to them for refund requests.” It is unclear whether, and how, the provider switch will impact the Bimini end of the service. Multiple inquiries by this newspaper yesterday were unable to establish whether any Bahamian jobs will be lost, although one possibility is that any positions will
merely transfer from one operator to the next. Kai Knocke, chief executive of FRS Caribbean, told the Miami Herald that the change was based on “commercial considerations”. “In our opinion the relatively small market between Florida and The Bahamas allows at the moment only room for one shipping company for a year-round service,” he said. The Bimini ferry service contract was embroiled in controversy earlier this year after a US federal court judge ordered the former chief executive of Balearia Caribbean to pay his exemployer $2.844m in damages for effectively stealing the deal from under them. The Spanish ferry operator, which already services Freeport from Fort Lauderdale on an almost-daily basis, was deprived of the chance to bid on the initial Bimini contract because Hernan Calvo concealed the opportunity from it. Calvo, according to a US court ruling obtained by Tribune Business, first entered into secret talks to steer the Resorts World contract to a rival Argentinian ferry company, Buquebus. When it pulled out in April 2016, he found a German transportation company, Forde Reederei Seetouristik GmbH (FRS), to take over the deal and it duly signed a contract with the Bimini resort’s owner. Judge Kathleen Williams found that Calvo, while still working at Balearia, was competing against his
SEE PAGE 3
By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net
THE Bahamas Telecommunications Company’s (BTC) $13.6m first-half revenue decline last night underscored the urgency of pleas for corporate unity as its business continues to slip away. Figures for the first six months of 2019, released by its ultimate parent, Liberty Latin America, revealed that BTC’s top-line for the period was down by 11.4 percent year-over-year as it lost a further 9,300 mobile subscribers during the second quarter. Liberty Latin America’s 10-Q filing with the US Securities & Exchange
• As mobile customers decline by 9,300 • Non-mobile subscribers off by 2,900 units
BTC HEADQUARTERS Commission (SEC) showed BTC’s 2019 first half revenues fell to $106.1m compared to $119.7m in the
same period last year, indicating that its loss of mobile market share to Aliv is continuing.
The Bahamian communications carrier’s revenues for the 2019 second quarter, which includes the three months to end-June, were also off 7.4 percent year-over-year at $52.5m compared to $56.7m for 2018. The top-line declines appear to have been driven by a further 9,300 net loss of mobile subscribers during the 2019 second quarter, which challenges the optimism expressed by
SEE PAGE 4
Judicial reforms to give ‘clout beyond our size’ By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net AN EX-ATTORNEY general yesterday hailed the chief justice’s reforms as potentially giving The Bahamas “an influence way beyond our size” in both legal services and attracting new business. Alfred Sears told Tribune Business that the planned digital transformation of the Bahamian court system, together with the construction of a new judicial complex and overhaul of the Supreme Court’s rules, represent a key building block for improving this nation’s economic competitiveness if properly implemented.
• Ex-AG hails Chief Justice’s plans as ‘long overdue’ • Bahamas could be ‘seat of choice’ for biz disputes • Can bring new business, aid financial services adjust
ALFRED SEARS QC Praising the initiatives unveiled by Brian Moree QC as “long overdue”, Mr Sears said The Bahamas
was not just competing with other countries in financial services and related industries but is also battling with them in dispute resolution. He added that fully enacting the reforms, and demonstrating that The Bahamas can deliver timely, efficient and cost-effective justice, could result in parties to international commercial transactions choosing The Bahamas as their jurisdiction of choice for the resolution of any disputes. And overhauling the
judicial system would also help “create momentum and clarify niche opportunities” as The Bahamas works to reposition its financial services industry following the latest tax and regulatory onslaught from the European Union (EU) and Organisation for Economic Co-Operation and Development (OECD). “I certainly support and applaud the chief justice for undertaking these necessary reforms because the
SEE PAGE 4