WEDNESDAY i’m lovin’ it!
HIGH 89ºF LOW 76ºF
The Tribune Established 1903
24/7 BREAKING NEWS ON TRIBUNE242.COM
Biggest And Best!
VOLUME:116 No.150, JULY 31ST, 2019
THE PEOPLE’S PAPER: $1
PAN AM: ROBERTS AND NEWMAN GO DOWN IN DOUBLES
Drowning victim died hours after buying jetski
He couldn’t swim By DENISE MAYCOCK Tribune Freeport Reporter dmaycock@tribunemedia.net
A DAY of fun at Lover’s Beach in Eight Mile Rock ended in tragedy for 20-year-old Jerry Device. Mr Device lost his life while riding a jet ski he had purchased just moments before his body was pulled from the water on Monday. The incident has left his entire family devastated, especially his mother Marianna Device, who is struggling to deal with the death of the youngest of her four sons. The Tribune visited the family’s home in Hanna Hill, Eight Mile Rock, where Ms Device was very distraught as several close relatives and friends comforted her. “He was a good son - the best son in the world,” she said as tears streamed down her cheeks. The mother of five said that her youngest son helped to support the family. “He would give me money to buy food and pay
the light bill, and if I need money he would always give me,” she said. According to reports, police were called to the Hepburn Town beach, where two men riding a jet ski had lost control and had been thrown into the water shortly after 4pm. Assistant Superintendent Terecita Pinder said one man swam to shore, but the other never made it. The body was later recovered by officers of the Police Marine division, who were also assisted by local residents. ASP Pinder said the body was pulled from waters shortly after 6pm, and that EMS personnel on the scene found no signs of life. Miranda Device, the sister of the deceased, said her brother could not swim. She had only learned after his death that he had just purchased the jet ski. “They (Jerry’s friends) tell me he buy a jet ski that same day and that he went to try it out and it flipped over,” his sister said.
JUST 3 BIDS FOR AIRPORT CONTRACT By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net
A SENIOR government official yesterday voiced surprise that the Nassau Flight Services privatisation had attracted just three bids from potential Bahamian purchasers. Algernon Cargill, director of aviation, told Tribune Business that “a lot more than three” had been expected based on the level of inquiries and information requests that were sparked by the release of the formal privatisation tender. FULL STORY - SEE BUSINESS
EXPERTS’ PLEA: DON’T OVERREACT
SEE PAGE THREE
NEARLY $9m has been budgeted for critical school repairs, Education Minister Jeff Lloyd said yesterday as he, along other Cabinet ministers toured four schools in New Providence which are undergoing “serious, urgent repairs”. Of the nine “critical” schools requiring renovations, Mr Lloyd noted CI Gibson Senior High School, CH Reeves, LW Young and DW Davis Junior High Schools are in the most “serious” state of disrepair.
The price tag for the repairs is up from the $7.2m figure he identified to reporters earlier this month. Mr Lloyd yesterday was confident the reparis “will be completed in time” for the opening of school on September 2. However, Bahamas Union of Teachers president Belinda Wilson yesterday expressed her doubts that this would be feasible. “I’m not optimistic that in three weeks time, when schools reopen that these schools will be ready,” she told reporters. SEE PAGE FIVE
POVERTY ISN’T A CHOICE BUT A LIFELONG BATTLE
SEE PAGE 11
SCHOOL REPAIRS ‘WILL BE DONE ON SCHEDULE’ By MORGAN ADDERLEY Tribune Staff Reporter madderley@tribunemedia.net
ALICIA WALLACE
By RIEL MAJOR Tribune Staff Reporter rmajor@tribunemedia.net
JERRY Device lost his life while riding a jet ski he had purchased hours before his body was pulled from the water on Monday.
BAHAMAS National Trust executive director Eric Carey wants government to move “very, very cautiously” with plans to amend shark protection legislation. Agriculture and Marine Resources Minister Michael Pintard on Monday spoke on the issues related to chumming, and consideration to amend legislation to allow for the killing of sharks in the SEE PAGE TWO
‘PM SHOULD HAVE SACKED WSC DIRECTOR’ TECHNOLOGY By RASHAD ROLLE Tribune Staff Reporter rrolle@tribunemedia.net
BAHAMAS Utilities Services and Allied Workers Union president Dwayne Woods said previous Bahamian prime ministers would have fired Water & Sewerage Corporation board director Bennett Minnis for his inflammatory comments about the Official Opposition. Mr Minnis, in a recently
BENNETT MINNIS circulated voice note, is alleged to have described the PLP as a party of
“corrupt, thieving, no good, bastard, homosexual, African monkeys.” “Under Hubert Ingraham he would’ve been gone, under Pindling he would’ve been gone and I presume under Perry Christie he would’ve been gone,” Mr Woods said. “He shouldn’t be allowed to remain in that position with that kind of statement. In fact, the union is afraid. The union is now
Nassau & Bahama Islands’ Leading Newspaper
SEE PAGE FIVE
TEEN WINS $3M PLAYING VIDEO GAMES SEE PAGE NINE