07292019 NEWS

Page 1

MONDAY i’m lovin’ it!

HIGH 89ºF LOW 79ºF

The Tribune Established 1903

24/7 BREAKING NEWS ON TRIBUNE242.COM

Biggest And Best!

VOLUME:116 No.148, JULY 29TH , 2019

HO US E & 16 THE PEOPLE’S PAPER: $1

HOME

PA GE S SPORT: MILLER-UIBO & GARDINER TAKE 400M TITLES BANK BOSS WARNS: WE MUST ACT ON JOBLESS

Obie: I’m fighting on for PLP seat Defiant despite heavy defeat at party convention By RASHAD ROLLE Tribune Staff Reporter rrolle@tribunemedia.net OBIE Wilchcombe says he will “absolutely” continue to vie for the Progressive Liberal Party’s nomination in West Grand Bahama and Bimini despite losing the chairmanship race to Fred Mitchell on Friday. He told The Tribune the PLP must now work with leader Philip “Brave” Davis and help him assemble a team that can win the next election. PLP officials have said they do not want to run former losing candidates in the next election, and some

in the party believe that Mr Wilchcombe destroyed his prospects of getting a nomination in 2022 by challenging Mr Mitchell. Asked about this, the former tourism minister said: “It’s the people’s call. I’m going to stay faithful but it’s the people’s call.” Sources told The Tribune Mr Davis discouraged the former tourism minister from running over the course of three meetings this year. The two met for lunch several months ago and when the former West Grand Bahama and Bimini MP revealed he was

TWO DEAD IN SEPARATE DROWNING INCIDENTS

SEE PAGE FIVE

PINRIDGE MP Frederick McAlpine says he will likely vote to abstain if the Official Opposition brings a no-confidence resolution in the House of Assembly against Prime Minister Dr Hubert Minnis, signalling he will not show public support for the leader of his party. For his part, Centerville

MP Reece Chipman appears undecided on the matter while Golden Isles MP Vaughn Miller said he has to weigh the various factors involved before making a decision. During the final night of the PLP’s convention on Friday, Progressive Liberal Party leader Philip “Brave” Davis announced he will bring a no-confidence motion at the earliest SEE PAGE FIVE

THE Bahamas must “aspire to higher” GDP growth rates in the 2-3 percent range if it wants to see “new jobs gushing rather than trickling”, the Central Bank’s governor is urging. John Rolle, addressing a briefing on 2019 first half economic developments, warned that this nation needed to exceed its projected medium term growth rate on a sustained basis “to see a more accelerated reduction” in an unemployment rate that has remained stubbornly over 10 percent for more than a decade. “I would say that if we can get the rate comfortably and consistently above the 2-3 percent range, we will make more of a dent there,” he explained of the link between GDP growth and unemployment. FULL STORY - SEE BUSINESS

‘I’LL PROBABLY ABSTAIN ON CONFIDENCE VOTE’

By RASHAD ROLLE Tribune Staff Reporter rrolle@tribunemedia.net

By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net

By MORGAN ADDERLEY Tribune Staff Reporter madderley@tribunemedia.net

SMILE FOR THE CAMERA PEOPLE didn’t let the weather stop them enjoying the summer Junkanoo at Arawak Cay over the weekend. More pictures - Page 2 Photo: Kemuel Stubbs

TWO men died in separate drowning incidents over the weekend. Their deaths bring the number of drownings for the month up to four, including a suspected drowning at Jaws Beach earlier this month. The first tragedy occurred on Friday afternoon in the waters at the Sandyport Marina. The Tribune understands the second occurred on Saturday after a man died of complications while diving. SEE PAGE THREE

HAITI INQUIRY INTO EMBASSY ‘CORRUPTION’ By AVA TURNQUEST Tribune Chief Reporter aturnquest@tribunemedia.net

THE Haitian Government has launched a commission of inquiry into concerns of corruption at its embassy in Nassau. The commission arrives today and will meet with Bahamian officials, diplomatic staff, local recruits and community leaders to conduct investigations until August 3. It was announced in a

BRADLEY Smith was arraigned last week. press statement released by Haiti’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs over the weekend

The ministry’s statement referred to a news report of an important investigation carried out by Bahamian authorities on corruption involving Haitian diplomats in Nassau, printed on July 25. It further advised Haitian diplomats that their mission was to project a positive image of the country, and to behave in a manner above reproach. The move has come as a surprise to embassy

Nassau & Bahama Islands’ Leading Newspaper

SEE PAGE SIX

INSIGHT

DOES PLP HAVE WHAT IT TAKES TO WIN IN 2022?

SEE PAGE SEVEN


Turn static files into dynamic content formats.

Create a flipbook
Issuu converts static files into: digital portfolios, online yearbooks, online catalogs, digital photo albums and more. Sign up and create your flipbook.