THURSDAY i’m lovin’ it!
HIGH 88ºF LOW 76ºF
The Tribune Established 1903
24/7 BREAKING NEWS ON TRIBUNE242.COM
Biggest And Best!
VOLUME:116 No.141, JULY 18TH, 2019
OBITS OFFICIA
CLASSIFIED TRADER: CARS, CARS, CARS & MORE CARS
INSIDE
JURY CONVICTS ‘MAD’ FIRE MUM Defence vows to appeal and prove she’s ‘ill not evil’ By NICO SCAVELLA Tribune Staff Reporter nscavel la@tribunemedia.net
A SCHIZOPHRENIC woman was unanimously convicted yesterday of murdering her one-year-old daughter by dousing her with gasoline and setting her afire. The woman said she carried out the act because “demons” told her to do it. An all-female jury found 41-year-old Phillipa Marshall guilty of murdering Philicia Marshall by setting the child alight in December 2017 at their Faith Gardens home.
Marshall had no visible reaction to the ruling, but sat stone-faced in the prisoner’s dock as the jury’s forewoman declared the verdict. Marshall faces up to 60 years in prison. Her attorney Bjorn Ferguson told The Tribune he will appeal the conviction, and is prepared to “go all the way” to the Londonbased Privy Council in pursuit of “justice” for his client. “We’re disappointed with the verdict,” he said. “Verdicts are supposed to be supported by evidence. It’s SEE PAGE THREE
A GRUESOME discovery was made early yesterday morning when the body of a woman was found in the trunk of a vehicle at a local car junkyard in Freeport. A senior police official confirmed that foul play is suspected as there were visible signs of facial injuries to the body. Supt Brian Rolle, officer
in charge of the Central Detective Unit in Grand Bahama, told reporters at the scene that they are withholding the woman’s identity, but said she is believed to be in her late 40s. However a source confirmed to this newspaper that the deceased is Eudelle Bevans. Police said a 20-yearold male relative is helping police with their investigation. SEE PAGE FIVE
L SOUR CE
SUSPECT DIES AFTER OFFICERS OPEN FIRE By RIEL MAJOR Tribune Staff Reporter rmajor@tribunemedia.net
POLICE in New Providence are investigating an officer-involved shooting yesterday that left a man dead. This incident is the second police involved shooting in as many days. According to police, shortly after 1pm yesterday, officers were conducting an operation on John Street in the Bain Town community when they encountered a man “engaging in the sale of illegal drugs” and armed with a firearm. The man “engaged the officers” which resulted in him being shot, police said. The victim was taken to hospital, where he was later pronounced dead. SEE PAGE SEVEN
MARSH HARBOUR REPRIEVE By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhar tnel l@tribunemedia.net
WOMAN’S CORPSE IN TRUNK OF CAR By DENISE MAYCOCK Tribune Freeport Reporter dmaycock@tribunemedia.net
$1
AN ALL-female jury yesterday found 41-year-old Phillipa Marshall guilty of murdering her daughter by setting her on fire. Photo: Shawn Hanna/Tribune Staff
AN Abaco MP yesterday said the threat of an “immediate closure” of the island’s main commercial shipping port had been “eliminated” following yesterday’s inspection. James Albury issued a statement to “address a few immediate concerns” over the fate of Marsh Harbour’s port. Confirming the International Ship and Port Security assessment went ahead, Mr Albury wrote: “Overall the feedback was satisfactory. The ISPS will present the findings within 45 days to six months, at which time any remaining deficiencies would be noted and a deadline extended to remediate them.”
APOLOGY? YOU CAN PUT IT IN WRITING By KHRISNA RUSSELL Deputy Chief Reporter krussell@tribunemedia.net
AFTER a harsh rebuke and ridicule over his comments mocking Prime Minister Dr Hubert Minnis and criticising Bahamian workers, Liberty Latin America’s president Balan Nair apologised and explained that his comments were taken out of context. Dr Minnis told Parliament Mr Nair called him
LIBERTY’S BALAN NAIR yesterday morning to explain that the remarks he made were never intended
to insult the Office of the Prime Minister or the Bahamian people. To this, Dr Minnis said he told Mr Nair to send formal letters apologising for the remarks. Dr Minnis spoke about his conversation with Mr Nair after Official Opposition leader Philip “Brave” Davis said he was concerned about it and questioned whether the
Nassau & Bahama Islands’ Leading Newspaper
SEE PAGE SIX AND BUSINESS
STATESIDE
RADICALISM AND RACISM ON ROAD TO RE-ELECTION
SEE PAGE EIGHT