WEDNESDAY i’m lovin’ it!
HIGH 89ºF LOW 79ºF
The Tribune Established 1903
24/7 BREAKING NEWS ON TRIBUNE242.COM
Biggest And Best!
VOLUME:116 No.140, JULY 17TH, 2019
THE PEOPLE’S PAPER: $1
ALICIA WALLACE: NOT READY FOR PLASTIC REVOLUTION
OUT OF ORDER PM’s office blasts Jamaican CEO on BTC remarks
By RASHAD ROLLE Tribune Staff Reporter rrolle@tribunemedia.net
IN an extraordinary statement, the Office of the Prime Minister blasted the head of BTC’s parent company yesterday for “distasteful” and “insulting” comments mocking Prime Minister Dr Hubert Minnis and criticising BTC. The comments of Balan Nair, president of Liberty Latin America (LiLAC), were made during an internal staff meeting in Jamaica last week and were captured on videos that have since gone viral. In the clips, Mr Nair says the difference between BTC and its Jamaican counterpart, Flow, was “night and day” . He also joked that Dr Minnis could not look LiLAC officials in the eye while calling for more Bahamians to be employed at the company. BTC has seen its profit
margins decline since Aliv emerged as a competitor in November 2016. Yesterday, Pakesia Parker-Edgecombe, parliamentary secretary in the Office of the Prime Minister, called Mr Nair’s comments “unacceptable and extraordinarily inappropriate”. “I am deeply disappointed by the distasteful and insulting comments,” she said in a statement. “The comments contained in video clips making the rounds on social media represent a troubling mindset and extraordinarily poor judgment. Mr Nair insulted the prime minister, Bahamian workers and the Bahamian people. No matter one’s political affiliation, it’s incumbent upon all Bahamians and the opposition to be of one accord in rejecting Mr Nair’s insulting comments toward
HOSPITAL SABOTAGE IN HANDS OF POLICE
SEE PAGE THREE
WATER and Sewerage Corporation board director Bennett Minnis yesterday doubled down on his viral homophobic rant against the leadership of the Progressive Liberal Party. Mr Minnis insists his attack on PLP executives was a reaction to their recent presence at his late cousin Sir Henry Milton Taylor’s grave in Clarence Town, Long Island.
In a voice note widely circulated on social media, the Free National Movement’s Mount Moriah constituency association chairman called the Official Opposition a party of “corrupt, thieving, no good, bastard, homosexual, African monkeys”. The PLP has called for the government to force Mr Minnis to resign from his WSC post, and for the Free National Movement to condemn his remarks. PLP leader Philip SEE PAGE THREE
By MORGAN ADDERLEY Tribune Staff Reporter madderley@tribunemedia.net
THE American man who was recently injured in a boating accident in Exuma has lost his arm, Superintendent Shanta Knowles confirmed yesterday. The 63-year-old man has since been airlifted to the United States, according to Health Minister Dr Duane Sands. The incident occurred on Sunday evening in George Town, Exuma. “According to reports, shortly before 5pm, a tour boat was sailing in Elizabeth Harbour, George Town, when the captain felt something hit the rear of the boat,” the police report states. “He and others made a check of the water and discovered a male with injuries to his hand. SEE PAGE SEVEN
FNM OFFICIAL STANDS BY HIS FOUL PLP RANT By AVA TURNQUEST Tribune Chief Reporter aturnquest@tribunemedia.net
AMERICAN LOSES ARM IN BOATING ACCIDENT
By KHRISNA RUSSELL Deputy Chief Reporter krussell@tribunemedia.net
BEAUTY AND THE BEACH
A BRILLIANT fashion parade showing off the best in swimwear was held at the Melia. For a full report, don’t miss Weekend magazine, out on Friday. Photo: Shawn Hanna/Tribune Staff
MAN’S REMAINS FOUND IN FIRE DEBRIS By MORGAN ADDERLEY Tribune Staff Reporter madderley@tribunemedia.net
POLICE found human remains, burnt beyond recognition, in a house that was extensively damaged in a structural fire yesterday morning. Chief Superintendent Walter Evans said shortly after 11am, police received reports of the fire at a single-story home located on Sunlight Village, off East Street. After extinguishing
A BODY is taken away. the fire, officers found the remains of what appeared to be an adult male.
Speaking to reporters at the scene, CSP Evans said the cause of the fire has yet to be determined and the investigation is under way. In addition to the main fire, he said a Surrey horse carriage, located in the yard of the house, received some charring and a nearby home received some minor fire damage. “Shortly after 11am this morning, the Police Fire Services had received a report of
Nassau & Bahama Islands’ Leading Newspaper
SEE PAGE TWO
AS Princess Margaret Hospital grapples with rescheduling more than 50 non-emergency surgeries that were cancelled over sabotage suspicions connected to the facility’s chilling system, officials plan to follow through with prosecution if recommended by police. This is according to Health Minister Dr Duane Sands yesterday, who was adamant the “chips will fall where they may”. SEE PAGE SEVEN
TECHNOLOGY
HOW LANDING ON MOON CHANGED LIFE ON EARTH SEE PAGE NINE