MONDAY TUESDAY i’m lovin’ it!
HIGH 89ºF LOW 77ºF
The Tribune Established 1903
24/7 BREAKING NEWS ON TRIBUNE242.COM
Biggest And Best!
VOLUME:116 No.139, JULY 16TH, 2019
THE PEOPLE’S PAPER: $1
HEALTH: BUSH BREWS IN A CUP FOR A BETTER LIFE
Marsh Harbour ‘closure’ crisis Threat to shut port after it fails inspection
By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net MARSH Harbour, Abaco’s main shipping port, faces a “make or break” inspection tomorrow that could result in its closure and derail the island’s economy by halting virtually all cargo trade with the US. Tribune Business can reveal that this blunt warning was delivered by US Coast Guard officials after the government-owned and managed port failed its International Ship and Port Security “mock” inspection on June 18. Captain
Troy Mills, the Abaco port administrator, wrote that Marsh Harbour will be “closed down unless there are some major improvements” made in time for Wednesday’s follow-up inspection. Closure would probably send Abaco’s economy into a tailspin given that the island imports most of what it consumes. With its main port of entry shut, cargo freight would likely have to be sent to Nassau before being transferred to smaller vessels for onward shipping to Abaco.
A KEY Cabinet minister yesterday told The Tribune the government followed every protocol in leasing the Town Centre Mall from a sitting Cabinet minister to relocate the General Post Office. Public Service Minister
SEE PAGE FIVE
PROGRESSIVE Liberal Party leader Philip “Brave” Davis wants no challenges to his leadership team at the upcoming PLP convention, he has told party members. At a closed-door meeting at the Pelican Bay Resort in Grant Bahama on June 15, he made his desire clear to a room of nearly 200 stalwart councillors, The Tribune understands. Calling for absolute unity, he said he wants his team of Chester Cooper as deputy leader, Fred Mitchell as chairman and Robyn Lynes as deputy chairman to remain in place. Not expecting to face a leadership challenge himself, his statement, sources close to him told The Tribune yesterday, was meant as SEE PAGE THREE
By FARRAH JOHNSON
FULL STORY - SEE BUSINESS
Brensil Rolle said he presented Transport Minister Renward Wells with a copy of the former administration’s study on the mall after it was discovered use of the Phil’s Food Services building was untenable given the postal service crisis. Mr Rolle did not provide an exact date for his conversation with Mr Wells,
By RASHAD ROLLE Tribune Staff Reporter rrolle@tribunemedia.net
NEW ONLINE BATTLE TO STOP DISNEY CRUISE PLAN
POST OFFICE DEAL ‘ALL ABOVE BOARD’ By AVA TURNQUEST Tribune Chief Reporter aturnquest@tribunemedia.net
DAVIS TELLS PLP - DON’T CHALLENGE LEADERSHIP
TEARS FOR MDEEZ
A CONCERT celebrating the life of Devon “Mdeez” Knight was held at St Joseph’s Hall last night. Above are Wendi and Dyson Knight. More pictures - Page 2 Photo: Shawn Hanna/Tribune Staff
THE Waterkeeper Alliance has partnered with leading environmental groups in the country to launch a digital campaign in protest of Disney’s plans to construct a cruise ship port in South Eleuthera. In a press statement yesterday, the organisation announced the launch of StopDisney.com, the focal point of the Last Chance for Lighthouse Point campaign, which seeks to persuade Disney to abandon its “controversial plans” to construct a “massive cruise ship port” in Eleuthera. The Alliance joins local environmental groups including Bahamas Reef Environment SEE PAGE SEVEN
NEW RULES TO FOLLOW SHARK ATTACKS By KHRISNA RUSSELL Deputy Chief Reporter krussell@tribunemedia.net
CONCERN that The Bahamas’ tourism market could suffer a blow after a fatal shark attack last month has created the impetus for officials to consider a number of measures to protect snorkellers. According to Janet Johnson, CEO and executive director of the Tourism Development Corporation, several safeguards are
VICTIM: JORDAN LINDSEY being considered in the aftermath of Californian Jordan Lindsey’s death as
a result of a shark attack on June 26. The 21-yearold was swimming with her mother near Rose Island when sharks savaged her. Lindsey’s family has criticised tour company Sandy Toes, claiming there were no basic medical supplies and no attempts made by staff to save the college student’s life. Ms Johnson agreed these should be mandatory, adding officials were going
Nassau & Bahama Islands’ Leading Newspaper
SEE PAGE THREE
FACE-TO-FACE LEGEND BORN OUT OF A BROKENSEEHEART PAGE EIGHT