business@tribunemedia.net
WEDNESDAY, JULY 13, 2022
$6.92
$6.97
$6.96
Seven-day approval to slash FDI ‘frustrations’ By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net
• Bahamas must cut investor wait from 60 days • Report: Take politics out of ‘antiquated’ system • Limit NEC role to ‘sensitive’, $100m projects
THE Bahamas must slash the time required to approve investment projects from “more than 60 days” to seven or less if it is to remain economically competitive and transform a “bureaucratic, onerous and antiquated” process. A report prepared for the COVID Economic Recovery Committee, which has been obtained by Tribune Business, calls on the Government to completely overhaul an investment approvals mechanism that “is manually intensive and lacks transparency” by converting the Bahamas Investment Authority (BIA) into an online agency whose processes are fully digitised. Besides making the BIA more efficient, the Revamping the National Investment
Policy of The Bahamas report also urges that politicians play a lesser role in the investment approvals process by reducing the National Economic Council’s (NEC) involvement with lower-value proposals that raise no “sensitive” concerns. Suggesting that only projects worth $100m or more go before the NEC, which is really the Cabinet or a Cabinet committee/sub-committee, the report said the political directorate’s role was
viewed by investors and their advisers as “non-value added and overly bureaucratic”. Branding the NEC’s role as “duplicative and uninviting to foreign investors”, the report said frequent changes to its meeting schedule merely lengthen “an already haphazard and onerous process”. The resulting frustrations, it added, “discourage foreign investment” which the Davis administration has identified as critical to driving the
Bahamian economy’s postCOVID recovery and job creation. The report went so far as to describe investor criticisms that the NEC is “not fit for 21st century business”, with both existence and role seemingly “unique to The Bahamas” as no other country has such a body to review and approve foreign direct investment (FDI) proposals. These recommendations, which were prepared by the Securities Commission’s policy, research and compliance unit for the former Minnis administration’s COVID Economic Recovery Committee, have never been publicly disclosed before. However, they are no less relevant today because the report appears to be the template informing the Davis administration’s efforts to transform the BIA into Invest
SEE PAGE B4
BISX ‘on it’: Exploring carbon credit potential By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net THE Bahamas International Securities Exchange (BISX) is exploring whether to add carbon trading to its business model, its chief executive pledging: “We’re on it.” Keith Davies told Tribune Business that the exchange was examining the Carbon
Credit Trading Bill, which was last week tabled in the House of Assembly and has been released for industry and public consultation, to determine whether it is something it can facilitate and become involved with. If BISX is able to provide the necessary mechanism, meet all the regulatory and other requirements, and sees it as a potential new trading
activity that can add value to its business, Mr Davies said it will move to exploit the opportunity. He added that among the key issues to resolve is settlement, which involves the clearing of transactions in such manner that the seller receives full payment and the buyer the security they have purchased.
SEE PAGE B10
KEITH DAVIES
Ex-BPL union chief wants 74-month payout restored By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net A FORMER Bahamas Power & Light (BPL) managerial union chief will today seek permission to appeal a verdict that slashed his “handsome windfall” of $621,000 in termination compensation by more than 75 percent. Ervin Dean, who was senior manager of credit and collections at the stateowned electricity monopoly when dismissed on September 22, 2017, will appear at the Court of Appeal seeking leave to argue before the London-based Privy Council that the original award should stand rather
than be reduced from 74 months to just 18. Legal documents, filed on June 8, 2022, reveal that Mr Dean’s appeal is based on his contention that the Court of Appeal “failed to give any weight” to evidence allegedly showing BPL “had established a practice whereby terminated managerial personnel were fully compensated for the length of their contract period”. As a result, he contends that he should have been paid for the remaining six years and two months of his contract - as former Supreme Court justice Ruth Bowe-Darville found
SEE PAGE B5
Bahamas tariff model deemed ‘back to front’ By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net THE Bahamas’ tariff structure is the reverse of the conventional model applied by most countries to protect domestic producers from foreign competition, the draft National Trade Policy argues. The document, which has been released for industry and public consultation, says that - while most countries apply their highest tariffs to goods bought by the final consumer - The Bahamas has its lowest average duty rates in this area.
And, while other nations save their lowest tariff rates for raw materials used by their domestic producers, The Bahamas has its highest rates on these and other intermediate input goods. With a tariff policy that is effectively ‘back to front’, the National Trade Policy says The Bahamas has sought to protect its domestic industries via tax breaks and concessions on raw materials that can be accessed via various incentives laws. “In most countries, this problem of effective protection has been addressed by escalating tariff structures,
SEE PAGE B10
$7.30
THE BAHAMAS CENTRAL BANK
Banks and regulator seek to ‘mute’ cheque-end dissent • Want PR effort to counter ‘fear of change’ • And ‘minimise negative public feedback’ • Tender removed following Tribune query By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net THE Central Bank yesterday removed from its website a document seeking bids for a campaign “to mute” opposition to the elimination of cheques after the language used was questioned by Tribune Business. The tender, which sought proposals for a public relations and education campaign over plans to cease using cheques as a payment means by end-2024, revealed that the regulator as well as the Clearing Banks Association (CBA) and wider financial services industry want to minimise “negative public feedback” to the proposal. The Central Bank said “anecdotal” feedback suggested some Bahamians are opposed to this drive, “whether out of nostalgia, fear of change or unfamiliarity with evolving payment technologies”, and greater public education was needed to counter this. However, this newspaper pointed out that the phrase “the parties concerned seek to mute these objections” could be interpreted by some as an effort to muzzle, or stifle, dissenting voices to the elimination of cheques as a means of settling financial transactions. This was denied by John Rolle, the Central Bank’s governor, in an e-mail exchange with Tribune Business although he said the tender document’s wording would be reviewed.
SEE PAGE B6