business@tribunemedia.net
FRIDAY, JULY 12, 2019
$4.55
$4.59
‘Skeleton in closet’ fear over debt fall
By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net
A GOVERNANCE reformer yesterday expressed fears that “a skeleton in the closet” could yet derail the government’s achievement of the first quarterly national debt reduction for years. Robert Myers, the Organisation for Responsible Governance’s (ORG) principal, while hailing the $30.1m fall during the first three months of 2019 as “a good sign” added that he would be “happier” if accrual-based accounting
• $30m national debt fall ‘good sign’ • But ‘happier’ if accrual accounting • Govt finances still ‘fairly opaque’
ROBERT MYERS
was in place across the government and public sector. This accounting method would expose the government’s true financial position by capturing all future spending commitments, and Mr Myers expressed concern that in its absence not all public sector liabilities are reflected in the financials figures for the first quarter in the 2019 calendar year.
“It’s hard to say until we get to accrual-based accounting,” he told this newspaper. “We have no idea what the liabilities were, and whether they were all included. If they had accrual-based accounting I’d feel a lot better about it. Without accrual-based accounting its fairly opaque; it doesn’t reflect reality.
SEE PAGE 3
DPM: Something must be done over pensions By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net THE Bahamas’ retirement funding crisis must be given “focus”, the deputy prime minister agreed yesterday, given the ever-increasing drain it threatens to impose on the nation’s resources. KP Turnquest, responding after the Central Bank’s latest private pension survey reaffirmed that almost three-quarters of Bahamian workers are not covered by any formal plan, said this finding coupled with the low national savings rate meant that government-led action was imperative. With the National Insurance Board (NIB) becoming “more and more challenged”, he warned that future Bahamian
• Acknowledges ‘weight’ of retiree burden • But cautious on making pensions mandatory • And gives no timeline for taking action
retirees cannot rely on the state to maintain their living standards and incomes after leaving the workforce. This means it will become increasingly important for all Bahamians to make
Domestic banks in 10% cost increase By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net
DOMESTIC banks and trust companies endured a near-ten percent operating cost increase in 2018 amid continued expense and regulatory pressures on the wider financial services industry. The Central Bank’s survey of the sector’s 2018 contribution to Bahamian GDP, released earlier this week, revealed that wage pressures, government taxes and non-staff administrative costs drove a 9.7 percent rise
in the domestic sector’s costs to almost $500m. “Domestic banks and trusts companies’ total expenditure rose by ten percent to $511.1m in 2018, exceeding the 1.3 percent uptick recorded a year earlier and the average gain of 3.1 percent over the last five years,” the Central Bank said. “Underpinning this development, total operational costs - which accounted for 97 percent of the total expanded by 9.7 percent to $495.9m, outstripping the
SEE PAGE 4
Re-trial over Rum Cay restaurant demolition By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net
THE dispute over a Rum Cay restaurant’s demolition has been sent back to the Supreme Court for re-trial even though its majority owner may have “a bogus claim to ownership of the land”. The Court of Appeal, in a unanimous verdict delivered this week, found that David Cummings and his company, Tamarind Tree Holdings Co Ltd (TRECo), were in possession of the Green Flash Restaurant and Bar prior to its destruction
on October 22, 2007. The duo had sued for damages related to alleged trespass and the restaurant’s unlawful destruction, but the Supreme Court rejected the first claim while finding that Bobby Little and his Sumner Point Properties company - which claimed ownership of the land on which the Green Flash was built - had committed no breach of fiduciary duty. But Appeal Justice Jon Isaacs, in overturning the initial ruling, said the Supreme Court was mistaken to
SEE PAGE 2
provision for their own retirement, but the failure by many to do so has resulted in frequent calls from pension industry players for participation in such schemes to be
mandated by legislation. Mr Turnquest yesterday cautioned, though, that any legal reforms that made it mandatory for Bahamians to participate in pension schemes - either employersponsored or their own individual plans - would require extensive public consultation and research before becoming law. He also did not commit to a timeline for addressing The Bahamas’ savings and retirement woes, which many observers have described as a “ticking timebomb” for a society that traditionally directs its
SEE PAGE 4
$4.61
$4.61
‘Well beyond time’: Realty VAT paid online this year By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net THE Ministry of Finance’s top official yesterday pledged that VAT on real estate sales will be payable online during this fiscal year, adding: “It’s well beyond time to go digital.” Marlon Johnson, acting financial secretary, told Tribune Business that the newly-announced procedures for paying the tax were desired by “the lion’s share” of attorneys and other practitioners that the Department of Inland Revenue (DIR) will interact with. Responding to concerns that the government is requiring the private sector to make a “big jump” and transition to submitting conveyances by e-mail within just two weeks, Mr Johnson said the DIR would still “accommodate” those unable to send in the necessary documents electronically. Arguing that The Bahamas had generally been a “slow adopter” of technology and electronic transaction processing, he added that the processes outlined by the DIR were part of a series of “interim” steps that itself and other agencies are taking towards reduced costs and greater efficiency through the elimination of paperwork. “We went with e-mail because it was the working assumption that all operators we deal with have e-mail as part of the ordinary course of business,” Mr Johnson said of the August 1 deadline for New Providence conveyancing materials to be submitted electronically. “I can’t imagine what set of circumstances would make that complex for business. It will benefit the lion’s share of persons, but if there are those that want to submit by hard copy we will accommodate them.
MARLON JOHNSON “It’s a new way of doing work, but is very consistent with the mandate given by the prime minister to move items to digital procedures. The lion’s share of our customers, the taxpayers we serve, prefer to do this electronically. They want this. It makes their whole life easier.” Mr Johnson said the electronic submissions process was designed to eliminate the “back and forth” for attorneys and private sector professionals because any queries could be addressed without them having to leave their offices. The DIR is pledging a maximum five-day turnaround time, after which hard copies of the documents can be brought to its office for the necessary “stamping” and payment of due tax. “It really will save the people involved tremendous time,” Mr Johnson added. “This will ultimately prevent the waste of unnecessary time on the part of all practitioners.” Addressing concerns that tax payments can only be made via bank draft or a manager’s cheque, he said the government is aiming to move this online at some point during the 2019-2020 budget year, although he declined to commit to a date.
SEE PAGE 3