MONDAY TUESDAY i’m lovin’ it!
HIGH 88ºF LOW 78ºF
The Tribune Established 1903
24/7 BREAKING NEWS ON TRIBUNE242.COM
Biggest And Best!
VOLUME:116 No.135, JULY 9TH, 2019
THE PEOPLE’S PAPER: $1
WOMAN: THE GREAT DEBATE OVER ARIEL THE MERMAID
Hot Mix offered to raise $750m loan
Company linked with Symonette family would have been key in projects By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net A COMPANY partowned by Brent Symonette’s family offered to raise up to $750m in cheap British government loans to fund critical infrastructure works in The Bahamas. Documents obtained by Tribune Business suggest that if Bahamas Hot Mix’s proposal, made to both the Christie and Minnis administrations, had been accepted it would have given the company a lock over development projects it specialises in - roads, airport runways, and water and sewerage systems. The first offer to raise
APPS WHICH HELP VISUALLY IMPAIRED AT AIRPORTS
SEE PAGE NINE
FULL STORY - SEE BUSINESS
TRANSPORT and Local Government Minister Renward Wells yesterday said the future of the General Post Office will ultimately be decided by the next general election. Mr Wells told The Tribune it was obvious the decision to lease the Town Centre Mall from a sitting Cabinet minister will be an election issue, adding
Bahamians will voice their support or dissent at the polls. His comments come as Progressive Liberal Party leader Philip “Brave” Davis described the debacle as a “crisis of trust”, adding a vote of no confidence would take place in a “functioning government where public trust was valued”. Former Cabinet minister Brent Symonette has a 50 percent stake in the mall, and last week revealed SEE PAGE SIX
YOUR ESSENTIAL GUIDE TO INDEPENDENCE CELEBRATIONS
TECHNOLOGY
massive “concessionary loans” through the UK government’s export credit guarantee scheme was made in February 2017 just months before the general election. No progress appears to have been made with the Christie administration, and it was left for its successor to assess the offer. Bahamas Hot Mix then rolled out the same financing model eight months later as part of a joint venture proposal to take over the redevelopment of Exuma and North Eleuthera airports via a “25-year concession” in partnership with fixed-based operator, Odyssey Aviation.
FACE-TO-FACE
POST OFFICE DEAL WILL HIT ELECTION By AVA TURNQUEST Tribune Chief Reporter aturnquest@tribunemedia.net
INSIDE TODAY
DON’T WORRY, FOLKS - IT’S DRY TOMORROW FLOODING on Bay Street yesterday may have caused concerns ahead of Independence celebrations but the forecast for tomorrow is better. Let’s hope it’s right. Photo: Donavan McIntosh
FELICIA FIGHTING TO PROTECT VULNERABLE YOUNG WOMEN SEE PAGE EIGHT
GOLD FIASCO - DON’T BLAME US By RASHAD ROLLE Tribune Staff Reporter rrolle@tribunemedia.net THE government is not to blame for the failure of a teenage water polo team to complete a weekend regional tournament, Algernon Cargill, president of the Bahamas Aquatics Federation, said yesterday. His comment came after Bahamians reacted with outrage on social media at news that the country’s under-18 boys water polo
ALGERNON CARGILL team, competing at the 28th Central American and Caribbean Amateur
Swimming Confederation (CCCAN) in Barbados last week, lacked funding to stay and contest the gold medal match and had to withdraw from the tournament. The withdrawal was reported by the Nassau Guardian. One Facebook user wrote: “This must be fake news because (Governor General) CA Smith got a ridiculous $9,000 a month house rental being paid for with our taxed dollars (sic).”
Nassau & Bahama Islands’ Leading Newspaper
SEE PAGE THREE
HAVE A GREAT INDEPENDENCE DAY - WE’LL SEE YOU ON THURSDAY...