07022019 BUSINESS

Page 1

business@tribunemedia.net

TUESDAY, JULY 2, 2019

$4.55 BOB: $80m in deposits lost if it collapsed By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net JUST one-third of insurance-eligible Bank of The Bahamas (BOB) deposits would have been covered if the troubled BISX-listed institution had collapsed, the IMF revealed last night. The International Monetary Fund (IMF), which released both its Article IV report and assessment of the Bahamian financial system, disclosed that the Deposit Insurance Corporation (DIC) had less than $40m to cover $120m in insured deposits at the time the bank was first bailed out in 2014. This meant that over $80m in depositor funds could have been wiped out if Bank of The Bahamas had been allowed to fail. Given that only Bahamian dollar bank accounts up to $50,000 are covered by the Deposit Insurance Corporation, this potential $80m loss would have been suffered by individuals, families and small businesses and entrepreneurs. The IMF’s financial assessment said the extensive peril faced by these groups of Bahamians was used by the former Christie administration to justify the first Bank of The Bahamas bail-out, but the fund criticised both it and its successor for failing to follow “good international best practice” in the bank’s rescue. In particular, it criticised both the first bail-out - and the second undertaken by the Minnis administration in August 2017 - for purchasing Bank of The Bahamas’ distressed mortgage loans at “gross book value” through the Bahamas Resolve special purpose vehicle (SPV). Tribune Business previously reported that the bad loans transferred to Bahamas Resolve were worth just 37.6 percent of the $267.7m paid for them, and which subsequently became liabilities for the Bahamian taxpayer. Some $100m of the promissory notes used to finance the purchase from Bank of The Bahamas have already been redeemed. The IMF, meanwhile, urged the government to eliminate Bahamas Resolve’s “currently opaque status” and enhance its accountability to the Bahamian people by

SEE PAGE 4

$4.59

Sebas extends his Titans following $750,000 raise By NATARIO MCKENZIE and NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Reporters

S

EBAS Bastian’s securities house has extended the offering period for its Titan funds by over two weeks after the flagship vehicle so far attracted 400 investors and $750,000 in subscriptions. Hillary Deveaux, Investar Securities chairman, yesterday told Tribune Business that investor response to the Titan Balanced Fund had been “fairly substantial” and was “meeting our expectations” as the initial deadline for the offering’s closure passed yesterday. The former Securities Commission executive director said: “With regard to the Titan Balanced Fund, we have had just over 400 subscribers the last time I checked. It could be more now but that was the number last time I checked. That is fairly substantial. Those subscriptions represent well over $750,000.” Mr Deveaux added that Investar had extended the offering’s closing deadline by 16 days to July 19 to enable the Titan Balanced Fund to be properly marketed in the Family Islands.

• Investar chair: Main fund gets 400 investors • Offering expanded 16 days until July 19 • Response to other fund ‘not impressive’

HILLARY DEVEAUX

SEBAS BASTIAN

“We have not had a good opportunity to really get into the Family Islands,” he said. “We’re doing that now. “We started going into the Family Islands on Friday. We started with Abaco, and we’re looking at islands like Eleuthera, Exuma and Long Island.” Mr Deveaux also admitted that market response to the Titan Balanced Fund’s companion, the Titan Fixed Income fund, had “not been impressive”. The latter is targeted at institutional investors and high net worth individuals,

and Mr Deveaux said: “There has not been an impressive response to the Fixed Income Fund simply because we have not done the road shows and had the one-on-one meetings. “We’re dealing with that now. That’s one of the reasons [for the extension], along with the Balanced Fund still working with the Family Islands, because there has been some heavy demand by investors in the Family Islands.” Mr Deveaux and other Investar Securities directors,

THE International Monetary Fund (IMF) last night cut The Bahamas’ projected real GDP growth for 2019 to 1.8 percent, and warned that external risks facing this country “have increased”. The fund’s executive board, in concluding its annual Article IV consultation with this nation, shaved 30 basis points off the 2.1 percent economic expansion it had forecast for The Bahamas as recently as April 15 following the completion of its team’s visit. It warned that global economic developments had increased the downside risks facing the Bahamian economy, which is especially vulnerable to external shocks give its openness, reliance on the performance of other nations and

together with the Titan Balanced Fund’s directors and Leno Corporate Services as investment manager, declined to reveal targets for how much they wanted to raise at the launch press conference on June 3. This makes it hard to judge whether the offering has been successful, but the 16-day extension - together with the investor numbers and sum raised to-date indicates that the investment house wants to give ordinary Bahamians every opportunity to participate and fulfill Titan’s mandate for launching the two funds. However, Bahamian capital markets executives spoken to by Tribune Business yesterday expressed surprise at the investor numbers and figures given by Mr Deveaux. One, who had expected subscribers to be in the thousands by now, said: “You’re kidding? I’m surprised at that. Wow. I’m surprised. I am surprised. Very interesting.”

SEE PAGE 4

Jitney drivers warn on strike By NATARIO MCKENZIE

Tribune Business Reporter

nmckenzie@tribunemedia.net JITNEY drivers yesterday put Bahamians on notice that they plan to withdraw their services as early as this week Wednesday, telling Tribune Business: “Enough is enough”. Frederick Farrington, president of the Bahamas Unified Bus Drivers Union, told Tribune Business: “The union would like to inform the travelling public, those who utilise the public busing system, that we will withdraw services this week and we truly apologise for that. This is truly the last step the union wanted to take. “We gave the minister of transport [Renward Wells] one month’s notice. July 1 was the deadline and we have heard nothing. I don’t want to say the day but we will withdraw services. There

• Action may come as early as Wednesday • Union chief: 90% of drivers withdrawn • Want fare rise, other issues addressed are 330 drivers and 23 routes. On each route we’re looking to withdraw 90 percent of drivers. We’re not going to take every one off but 90 percent.” While Mr Farrington would not reveal the exact day jitney drivers plan to take strike action, Tribune Business understands it could come as early as Wednesday. The drivers’ main grievances are their long-standing demands for a fare increase; a lack of proper restroom facilities for male and female jitney drivers; an insufficient number of bus stops; and a lack of adequate bus stop shelters for passengers across New Providence. “We want our concerns

to be addressed. We want to be taken seriously. November will make 11 years since jitney drivers got an increase. Enough is enough,” said Mr Farrington. Last month, he and Wesley Ferguson, president of the 1,100-strong Bahamas Taxicab Union, said they had joined forces in threatening a massive shutdown if government does not take their concerns seriously. Mr Ferguson, when contacted by Tribune Business yesterday, said he was aware that jitney drivers planned to take action but had been unable to mobilise in the same way as he was out of the country. Mr Farrington, meanwhile, also took aim at the

IMF lowers Bahamas 2019 growth to 1.8% By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net

$4.56

• Cut by 0.3% pts amid rising external risks • Fund warns on financial sector ‘unification’ • And cautions on digital Bahamian dollar vulnerability to hurricanes and other forms of natural disasters. “Growth is projected to reach 1.8 percent in 2019 before converging to its potential of 1.5 percent in the medium term,” the IMF executive board said in its statement on The Bahamas. “Risks to global growth, particularly in key trading partners, have increased. “Slowing external demand or a tightening of financial conditions in key advanced economies could adversely affect growth prospects. Vulnerability to hurricanes and climate change remains high. “Domestically, reform momentum could stall delaying fiscal consolidation

and the implementation of competitiveness-enhancing reforms. In the international sector, reputational risks could intensify despite the recent strengthening of regulatory and transparency standards, possibly challenging existing business models.” The IMF’s reference to “key trading partners” likely alludes to the US and China, and their ongoing “tariff war” over the Trump administration’s allegations that Beijing is “cheating” through intellectual property theft, forcing American companies into ventures with Chinese companies to obtain their technology, and other unfair terms of trade. Given that The Bahamas

imports virtually all that it consumes, tariff-induced price hikes on Chinesemanufactured components of finished US goods will inevitably be passed on to Bahamian businesses and consumers still adjusting to the inflationary/cost of living impact from the increase to 12 percent VAT. And, besides the threats that The Bahamas cannot control, the IMF executive board’s statement also expresses concern over whether there is sufficient will - both in the government and the private sector - to see the necessary fiscal and “ease of doing business” reforms through to completion.

SEE PAGE 4

unified public transportation pilot project, claiming it was “nothing new to the industry”. He added: “They are talking about working a 14-hour shift from 6am to 8pm. You have five buses on a route and are confined to that route without breaks, restroom breaks or lunch breaks. It’s not a solution to the system; curb this rat race within the industry.” Mr Wells announced during his 2019-2020 budget contribution in the House of Assembly last month that the Cabinet had agreed in principle to launch a unified public transportation pilot project for route 17, via the United Public

SEE PAGE 4

$4.59 IMF calls for property tax rate increase By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net THE IMF last night called on the government to raise real property tax rates while again forecasting that it will miss its 2018-2019 deficit target by a sum equal to 0.5 percent of GDP. The International Monetary Fund (IMF), in its full Article IV report on The Bahamas, called on the government to “see through” its just-launched initiative to develop a comprehensive property database and, from that, tax bills based on market valuations. Besides urging steppedup reform in that area, the fund reiterated its previous suggestion that The Bahamas look at income taxation over “the medium term” both as a means to achieve a more equitable system and potentially replace the existing business license fee. While it is unclear whether the IMF was referring to personal or corporate income taxation, its Article IV report said introducing such a progressive taxation system would also help “contain increasing profit repatriation” out of The Bahamas by non-residents. The government, based on the Article IV report, already appears to be implementing much of what has been recommended by the IMF. Besides the real property tax modernisation initiative, it is also moving to assess whether it is getting value for money from all the tax breaks granted to investors - something that the fund says costs Caribbean nations 3.5 percent of their GDP. And, despite the government’s optimism, the IMF is more pessimistic on whether and when the targets set out in the Fiscal Responsibility Bill will be hit. It is forecasting that that the “fiscal balance” goal will only be achieved in 2022-2023, later than the government’s own forecast, while the debt-to-GDP ratio will remain above the 50 percent target through 2024-2025. Focusing on revenue enhancement, the IMF report said: “In the shortterm, staff encouraged seeing through efforts to complete a comprehensive land/property registry and recommended building comprehensive real estate

SEE PAGE 5


Turn static files into dynamic content formats.

Create a flipbook
Issuu converts static files into: digital portfolios, online yearbooks, online catalogs, digital photo albums and more. Sign up and create your flipbook.