THURSDAY i’m lovin’ it!
HIGH 88ºF LOW 78ºF
The Tribune Established 1903
24/7 BREAKING NEWS ON TRIBUNE242.COM
Biggest And Best!
VOLUME:116 No.127, JUNE 27TH, 2019
OBITS OFFICIA
$1
INSIDE
CLASSIFIED TRADER: CARS, CARS, CARS & MORE CARS
US woman dies in shark horror Snorkel trip to Rose Island ends in savage attack By RIEL MAJOR Tribune Staff Reporter rmajor@tribunemedia.net AN American woman is dead after a shark attack near Rose Island yesterday. Police said the woman was snorkeling around 2pm when she was attacked. The victim, believed to be 21-year-old Jordan Lindsay from California, was taken to the shore and then to Doctors Hospital where she was pronounced dead. A woman, who claimed to have witnessed the
victim being loaded into an ambulance, said it appeared the woman’s legs had been chewed off. “Oh God, I saw her being lifted into the ambulance by Texaco on East Bay today,” the woman posted in a popular Facebook group. “She was limp. I said a silent prayer but it didn’t look good. Looks like her legs were off. May her soul rest in peace. These sharks are becoming more and more agitated and I don’t understand why. It was never this way before.” SEE PAGE THREE
SARKIS Izmirlian is targeting a “substantial” jobs and GDP impact with a 333-acre mixed-use development at Clifton Bay that is focused on “sustainability” and environmental preservation. Tribune Business can reveal that Baha Mar’s original developer is back in Bahamian real estate development via a proposed project called The Preserve, located in southwestern
New Providence near Jaws Beach. Mr Izmirlian has teamed with Tom Dunlap, his former Baha Mar president, to produce a “very low density” development on land he is understood to have acquired last year. While similar in size to the nearby 363-acre South Ocean resort, this newspaper was informed that the duo are aiming for a “live, work, play” concept that embraces traditional Bahamian living. FULL STORY - SEE BUSINESS
BPL UNION: BLACKOUTS WORST IT’S EVER BEEN By KHRISNA RUSSELL Deputy Chief Reporter krussell@tribunemedia.net
AS key government facilities were among dozens of areas struck by power cuts yesterday, Bahamas Electrical Workers Union president Paul Maynard said the ongoing situation is at its “worst” as he suggested Bahamians needed to protest against this electricity crisis. Bahamas Power and Light had little update to give consumers yesterday outside of its Facebook page, which only provided a running list of areas from east to west affected by widespread load shedding. These included the Bahamas Department of Correctional Services, Sandilands Rehabilitation SEE PAGE SIX
BURGLAR SHOT AFTER STABBING OFFICER
SARKIS CONFIRMS NEW CLIFTON BAY PROJECT By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net
L SOUR CE
By NICO SCAVELLA Tribune Staff Reporter nscavella@tribunemedia.net
MDEEZ SUSPECT
32-YEAR-OLD Shamano Cooper, above, was yesterday accused of killing Bahamian singer Devon “Mdeez” Knight last week. Full report - Page 3 Photo: Shawn Hanna/Tribune Staff
A FORMER police reservist yesterday testified how a 33-year-old shop breaking suspect was shot and killed after allegedly stabbing his former partner in the arm almost a decade ago. Quincy Strachan, now employed with the General Post Office, said his former partner, Reserve Constable Shawn Butler was injured after allegedly clashing with Bradford “Mad Brad” Brown on May 28, 2010. This, Mr Strachan said, was evidenced by him hearing Mr Butler issue the command “police, stop”, SEE PAGE FIVE
‘POLICE BEAT SUSPECTS? RIDICULOUS’ By RASHAD ROLLE Tribune Staff Reporter rrolle@tribunemedia.net
A FORMER police officer’s claim that for decades the Royal Bahamas Police Force has falsified reports, beaten suspects for confessions and sent innocent people to prison was denounced by National Security Minister Marvin Dames and Police Commissioner Anthony Ferguson. Mr Dames said the former officer,
EX-OFFICER Bernard Swann Bernard Swann, was never an investigator and lacks the credibility to discuss the
investigative tactics of the RBPF. He said the man served in the 1980s to his knowledge. Commissioner Ferguson, insisting officers do not falsify reports, said he has nonetheless dispatched a team to investigate the matter. Mr Swann made his comments in a recording which were circulated on WhatsApp and Facebook. He told The Tribune he has received numerous threats
Nassau & Bahama Islands’ Leading Newspaper
SEE PAGE FIVE
STATESIDE SPORT’S SORRY TALE OF FAME AND INFAMY
SEE PAGE EIGHT