MONDAY TUESDAY i’m lovin’ it!
HIGH 88ºF LOW 79ºF
The Tribune Established 1903
24/7 BREAKING NEWS ON TRIBUNE242.COM
Biggest And Best!
VOLUME:116 No.125, JUNE 25TH, 2019
THE PEOPLE’S PAPER: $1
WOMAN: CHOOSING CELIBACY GAVE ME BACK MY LIFE
BPL apologises for blackouts and admits
NOT GOOD ENOUGH By KHRISNA RUSSELL Deputy Chief Reporter krussell@tribunemedia.net
BAHAMAS Power and Light chairman Donovan Moxey has blamed this month’s adverse weather conditions for the power provider’s inability to receive rental generators earlier, which rendered it unable to fulfil electricity demands over the weekend when two of its units went offline. Although this was an “anomaly”, according to Mr Moxey, he apologised for the “unacceptable” widespread load shedding, which grossly inconvenienced thousands of customers. Speaking to reporters yesterday, the chairman explained that BPL took measures to avoid a situation like the one encountered at the weekend. He said the company did anticipate elevated summer demand and had planned to have rental generators in place by June
18. However rainy weather created a delay in their delivery. As a result, BPL now anticipates that the rental Aggreko units will be fully installed by tomorrow and Friday of this week at a cost of just under $2m a month. As for when the situation is expected to get better, Mr Moxey said realistically not until fall 2019 when the new power plant is expected to be fully functional. Officials said load shedding would continue this week in three to four hour intervals. Despite this, BPL has no plans to relax disconnections and the company continued yesterday to urge consumers to pay their bills or work out payment plans. “We don’t ever go into a year of planning saying we will have load shedding. We will never attempt that because our hope and push on this is on positive,” Mr Moxey said during a press conference at BPL’s Baillou SEE PAGE SIX
NOT SHOWING TONIGHT
By NATARIO MCKENZIE Tribune Business Reporter nmckenzie@tribunemedia.net
THE $42m Fusion Superplex complex yesterday said it has suffered a “significant blow” from constant power woes that have left it without a back-up generator to cope with BPL’s latest outages. The IMAX-centred entertainment destination said that having to use its generator every single night since it opened last year had resulted in its failure on Sunday, leaving the company and its 400 employees at the mercy of Bahamas Power & Light’s (BPL) current round of load shedding.
FIVE CRITICAL IN BUS HORROR
Nikolette Elden, the Fusion Superplex’s chief marketing officer, told Tribune Business that the company’s nine-cinema complex had been forced to cancel all its shows last night due to a power crisis stemming from a regularlyoccurring “serious surge” that had forced it to overuse its generator. Ms Elden said: “We were significantly impacted by BPL on Sunday. It was crazy what we went through. When people came seeking refuge [from the latest outages] we had to turn them away. Our generator wasn’t designed to run constantly, and on Sunday it failed. ” FULL STORY - SEE BUSINESS
SEVERAL tourists were airlifted to hospital following a serious traffic accident in Eleuthera yesterday.
Full story - Page 3
LUCAYAN PURCHASE ‘DON’T LET PUBLIC ‘ECONOMIC REBIRTH’ SEE SEX REGISTER’
By RICARDO WELLS Tribune Staff Reporter rwells@tribunemedia.net
ATTORNEY General Carl Bethel staunchly defended the government’s decision to purchase the Grand Lucayan resort, insisting the move will prove to be the foundation for “a full fledged economic rebirth” in Grand Bahama. Mr Bethel, praising the move as an act that took
“courage”, said the intervention directly reversed the fate of Grand Bahama’s economy. His comments came during the Senate’s debate of the 2019/2020 budget yesterday. “(This was) a simple act of courage,” he said. “We had the courage to intervene, to break the economic - how should I say it - the economic theories of SEE PAGE FIVE
By RASHAD ROLLE Tribune Staff Reporter rrolle@tribunemedia.net
THE country’s leading counselling and advocacy services provider for abuse victims does not want a sex offender register to be made public. Dr Sandra Dean-Patterson, director of the Bahamas Crisis Centre, said a public register would be ineffective and would lure
people into a false sense of security. Her comments when contacted yesterday came after the government published draft regulations for a sex offender registry earlier this month on its website. Many likely assume the sex offender register will be public, but neither the regulations nor the substantive law expressly state that SEE PAGE SEVEN
MDEEZ MURDER WASN’T ROAD RAGE By RASHAD ROLLE Tribune Staff Reporter rrolle@tribunemedia.net
THE initial police report about how popular singer Devon “Mdeez” Knight died was wrong, Police Commissioner Anthony Ferguson confirmed yesterday, three days after the homicide. Police on Friday said a traffic collision happened at the junction of Prince Charles Drive and Fox Hill Road involving two
REGGAE STAR MDEEZ vehicles at around 7pm. They said the male drivers subsequently became
involved in an altercation resulting in one of them being stabbed multiple times about the body. Police said the injured man, Knight, was transported to hospital where he died from his injuries. However, the killing was not an incident of road rage. Instead, Knight was involved in an altercation with a tenant who allegedly stabbed him. An injured Knight tried to
Nassau & Bahama Islands’ Leading Newspaper
SEE PAGE FIVE
FACE-TO-FACE ATARAH ON PATH TO FINDING THE TOP TALENT SEE PAGE EIGHT