06132019 NEWS

Page 1

THURSDAY i’m lovin’ it!

HIGH 87ºF LOW 76ºF

The Tribune Established 1903

24/7 BREAKING NEWS ON TRIBUNE242.COM

Biggest And Best!

VOLUME:116 No.117, JUNE 13TH, 2019

OBITS OFFICIA

$1

INSIDE

L SOUR CE

CLASSIFIED TRADER: CARS, CARS, CARS & MORE CARS

PAYDAY PAYBACK HERE COMES SUMMER

Student loan debt could force govt to target salaries By KHRISNA RUSSELL Deputy Chief Reporter krussell@tribunemedia.net THE Ministry of Education is seeking to garnish the wages of civil servants who have failed to repay the Education Loan Authority as it aims to recover over $83m in delinquent money. While the overall sum owed to the ELA has been reduced from the $100m that was outstanding in January this year, Education Minister Jeffery Lloyd said yesterday this is still not enough to restart the programme. When the Minnis administration took office in 2017, more than $150m in principal and interest had not been satisfied. In total, some 2,057 loans are delinquent and many of these include money granted to people in the public service. “There is a default rate of over 90 percent and a

delinquency rate of almost one year - 275 days,” the minister told the House of Assembly yesterday. “Because of this very high default rate the programme was suspended in 2009, ten years ago and we want to restart this programme, but we can’t because many of those 2,057 who owe money won’t pay and we are going to go after them as we have and seek to prosecute them and require them to pay. “I am sad to say, Mr Speaker, some of those who don’t pay are public servants, they work for the government. We are going to seek the ways to have their salaries garnished.” He continued: “When we came to office in 2017 and I credit the great work of the former chairman and present chair in bringing this where it is today, over $150m was owed to the

EDUCATION Minister Jeffery Lloyd wants the use of cell phone videos that expose minors in compromising positions to be made illegal and punishable by a prison sentence, saying these situations could lead to future reputational harm. In recent months, several sensitive videos with minors have made the rounds on social media. One such video showed a high school student pulling up her underwear behind an unfinished building as a

SEE PAGE SIX

SEE PAGE EIGHT

TURIN 2: NO TRACE OF DRUGS

NO drugs were found in the bodies of Alrae Ramsey and Blair John, Italian news media reported yesterday. According to reports, only traces of alcohol were found in the blood of the two young men whose bodies were tragically found in the Po River in Turin last week. These are the anticipated results of the outcome of the toxicological analysis, as SEE PAGE SEVEN

KNOWLES TO WALK FREE IN 6 YEARS

SEE PAGE FIVE

man - who appears to be in his late 20s - stood next to her fully clothed. Another man’s voice can be heard off camera stating the girl has been caught having sex. He then began to pressure the girl to have sex with him, and threatened to post the video to social media if she did not comply. The situation, Mr Lloyd said, almost sent the girl to Sandilands Rehabilitation Centre. As he spoke during the budget debate in the House of Assembly yesterday, Mr Lloyd also outlined

MONSOONS SIGNAL DISASTER AHEAD FOR US

By MORGAN ADDERLEY Tribune Staff Reporter madderley@tribunemedia.net

‘SOCIAL MEDIA DANGER MUST BE ADDRESSED’ By KHRISNA RUSSELL Deputy Chief Reporter krussell@tribunemedia.net

STATESIDE

By AVA TURNQUEST Tribune Chief Reporter aturnquest@tribunemedia.net

SUMMER’S ON THE WAY: Bria and Sevyn Beneby enjoy some time on the beach with their young puppy Envy. Photo: Shawn Hanna/Tribune Staff

CONVICTED Bahamian drug smuggler Austin Knowles will spend just over six years in prison and forfeit $1m for his role in an international conspiracy and drug trafficking scheme in 2002. Knowles pleaded guilty to four charges related to the scheme that saw him and 16 others netted in an international investigation, code-named “Operation Bluewater”. SEE PAGE THREE

MOREE: WE NEED MAJOR REFORMS By RASHAD ROLLE Tribune Staff Reporter rrolle@tribunemedia.net

ADDRESSING delays in the legal system and a court backlog will be priorities for the country’s newest chief justice, Brian Moree, QC. He spoke to reporters shortly after he was sworn in as chief justice during a ceremony at Government House yesterday. “It’s very humbling and I’m very grateful to have the opportunity to serve

BRIAN MOREE is sworn in as chief justice yesterday. my country through this appointment,” he said. “I am profoundly of the view

that we need in the private sector to be prepared to do some public service for our country. I see it as an opportunity in a small way to make a contribution to the ongoing development of the court system, the administration of justice and I would hope that at the end of it we would have left it just a little bit better than when we met it, but others would have to decide that at the appropriate time.”

Nassau & Bahama Islands’ Leading Newspaper

SEE PAGE THREE

RICHARD COULSON

SEBAS PLAYING TO CONTENTED CUSTOMERS

SEE PAGE TEN


Turn static files into dynamic content formats.

Create a flipbook
Issuu converts static files into: digital portfolios, online yearbooks, online catalogs, digital photo albums and more. Sign up and create your flipbook.