06132019 BUSINESS

Page 1

business@tribunemedia.net

THURSDAY, JUNE 13, 2019

$4.90 Airline refutes ‘bad deal’ claim •SAYS D’AGUILAR’S INSINUATION ‘INACCURATE AND ILL-INTENTIONED’ •CLAIMS GOVT OWES MORE THAN $500K IN RENT By NATARIO MCKENZIE

Tribune Business Reporter

nmckenzie@tribunemedia.net WESTERN Air yesterday pushed back against suggestions the lease of its San Andros terminal to the Airport Authority was a politically motivated “bad deal”, stating such insinuation was “inaccurate and ill-intentioned”. “There was no political basis or unscrupulous nature about this business transaction and any insinuation of such is inaccurate and ill-intentioned,” the airline said in a statement yesterday, asserting the government owes over $500,000 for more than a year’s rent. The Bahamian-owned airline which has its headquarters in San Andros was responding to recent statements by Tourism Minister Dionisio D’Aguilar. During his budget contribution in Parliament last week, Mr D’Aguilar claimed the Christie administration had ordered the Airport Authority to enter into an “egregious” deal with Western Air to ease its terminal in San Andros to the tune

SEE PAGE 3

Tribune Business Reporter

nmckenzie@tribunemedia.net BAHAMAS Taxicab Union (BTCU) yesterday expressed frustration over government failure to remedy an issue which has now left 30-40 drivers out of work, its president suggesting that government is “clueless” regarding how to untangle the “mess” the industry is in. Wesley Ferguson, BTCU president told Tribune Business existing owners of taxi cab plates were exploiting the government’s plan to clean-up the industry by

By NATARIO MCKENZIE

Tribune Business Reporter

nmckenzie@tribunemedia.net

T

HE long-running dispute between the Morton Bahamas and the union representing linestaff appears to still be far from a resolution, with the latter slamming the company’s latest proposal as “egregious”. Jennifer Brown, pictured, president of the The Bahamas Industrial Manufacturers & Allied Workers Union (BIMAWU) yesterday expressed disappointment over the proposal, noting the union had been waiting months to get back to the negotiating table. “After waiting months to get back to the table the company’s position has not changed,” said Ms Brown of the company’s June 11 counterproposal. “They proposed a 1.5 percent pay increase to their workers, yet have grossly increased health insurance payments, which is viewed by the employees as a modern-day slave trade. This is clearly a deficient contract that lacks vision and financial advancement of its workers.” She continued: “An excerpt of the preamble

seizing plates back from drivers before this can be put into effect. “There are about 30-40 drivers who have had their plates seized. They have been out of work now for roughly a month. We were assured that something would be done, that these people would be given some form of relief, a temporary plate or something so they could work and have some form of income until the government figures this thing out. We gave the minister an opportunity to address this

SEE PAGE 3

AML centre pays tribute to 30-year director By FARRAH JOHNSON AML Foods Limited yesterday opened their new learning and development centre in Nassau, dedicating the building to Frank J Crothers who has served as one of the company’s board of directors for 30 years. The centre, which can accommodate up to 250 members, was built to facilitate staff training throughout the organisation, in an effort to ensure further growth across AML’s brands and services. Speaking at the official opening, AML President Gavin Watchorn said he was

$4.56

Union slams Morton’s offer to break dispute deadlock

Taxi union berates govt over licence plates job losses By NATARIO MCKENZIE

$4.59

“very proud” of the learning centre, which he stated was a “tangible representation” of the commitment AML has made to the “development” of its people. “This represents an initial investment of $600,000 in total, which is an addition to our $100,000 that we spent in Freeport last year to create a smaller facility for our Grand Bahama employees,” he said. “We know that customer loyalty is one of the number one drivers—if not the number one driver for long-term success and development...so people

SEE PAGE 3

$4.59

ROMAULD FERREIRA

Ferreira insists low cost homes ‘overpriced’ by nearly $60,000 By NATARIO MCKENZIE

Tribune Business Reporter

nmckenzie@tribunemedia.net

MORTON Salt compound, Great Inagua, Bahamas. to the constitution states that no man, woman or child shall ever be slaves in the islands of The Bahamas. It’s obvious that they can’t be taken at face value. The officers of the union were told that ‘you give us salt, we will give you money’. Well the workers have done their part. The company, however, has rescinded that statement. It is obvious that they don’t give a hill of beans about their workers and are not trustworthy. How much longer do the

people have to suffer at the hands of Pharaoh.” The salt harvester, Inagua’s largest employer, previously told Tribune Business it was aiming to achieve a “comprehensive and fair” industrial agreement with the Bahamas Industrial, Manufacturers and Allied Workers Union (BIMAWU) even though the relationship between the two sides remains strained. Morton Salt’s spokesman, Paul Jackiewicz, in recent statement said: “We hope to resolve the ongoing negotiations soon with a comprehensive and fair

labour agreement that maintains a safe and successful facility for our employees.” The union has in recent months gone public over its dispute with Morton Salt regarding a new industrial agreement. Ms Brown recently told this newspaper that the union, which represents some 100-line staff, had been been “pushed” to take strike action after the company made no improvements to its purported counter-offer. The threat of industrial unrest has loomed over Morton Salt’s Inagua operations since late last year.

ENVIRONMENT Minister Romauld Ferreira has again hit out at housing developer Arawak Homes, asserting during his budget communication the company had “overpriced” homes in the Ardastra Gardens Subdivision by as much as $60,000. Arawak Homes president Franon Wilson, however, strongly denied those claims yesterday telling Tribune Business: “Our response simply is that the honourable minister is wrong on a number of fronts, period.” Mr Ferreira said during his 2019/2020 budget communication on Tuesday evening: “By way of a memorandum of understanding, Arawak Homes constructed homes in the Ardastra Gardens Phase III subdivision. The government paid for all for the infrastructure in this area and gave them the land for free. The developer or design builder Arawak

SEE PAGE 3


Turn static files into dynamic content formats.

Create a flipbook
Issuu converts static files into: digital portfolios, online yearbooks, online catalogs, digital photo albums and more. Sign up and create your flipbook.